Moving to music. Recommendations?

vasubandu

I want to get a feel for klipsch music. Never heard anything outside home theater.  A few in my are. 

KG2  400 pr

KG2  100 PR

Cornwall nice birch 1000

Kp101 pro 100

Heresy hwo  600

Quartet 580

Kp Heresy 200

Ki 262 450

Cornwall black rough 750

R-150m    120

I am just  looking for general thoughts.  Would like something I could use to learn to upgrade.  So definitely a beginner but one  with potential. 

Best is Cornwall....if you have the room.

There is one that is a real gem of a speaker..... Quartets.....$580 is about a hundred bucks on the high side...... I think in the last couple years I have refreshed about 2 or 3 pair of these.

Always to sell them off... I liked them so much....I really searched out a pair for myself.....they are like a Fort'e...in a smaller package....If the crossover are done correctly and the tweeters are changed to Bob's titanium...they really sound nice . I have had a couple of people say they are a little in the short side.....Normally you should have the midrange horn at ear lever when seated......

George

WP_20171208_004med.jpg

9 hours ago, vasubandu said:

KG2  400 pr

KG2  100 PR

Cornwall nice birch 1000

Kp101 pro 100

Heresy hwo  600

Quartet 580

Kp Heresy 200

Ki 262 450

Cornwall black rough 750

R-150m    120

If were myself, I would look into those Heresy hwo which are actually hwlacquer which you don't see too often.  Maybe give seller a call and see if he would take $500.00

00M0M_jmA4Bjkzbb0_600x450.jpg

I have owned two pairs of Quartets, one pair of Fortes, one pair of KG4s, one pair of Hersys and one pair of Heresy IIs. 

I still own the Heresys and Heresy IIs.

In other words, I love me some Heresys.

Bill

9 hours ago, oldred said:

Best is Cornwall....if you have the room.

There is one that is a real gem of a speaker..... Quartets.....$580 is about a hundred bucks on the high side...... I think in the last couple years I have refreshed about 2 or 3 pair of these.

Always to sell them off... I liked them so much....I really searched out a pair for myself.....they are like a Fort'e...in a smaller package....If the crossover are done correctly and the tweeters are changed to Bob's titanium...they really sound nice . I have had a couple of people say they are a little in the short side.....Normally you should have the midrange horn at ear lever when seated......

George

WP_20171208_004med.jpg

I totally agree, among vasubandu's list, the Quartets are the best bargain. They're a full range speaker that DELIVERS all that Klipsch is known for, at a bargain price.

I hate to brag but I picked up a pair of Quartets last year for $250! Yes; they're just like Forte's but smaller. That $580 is close to what you'd pay for a pair of Heresy's used, but you'll get bass. Buy the Heresy's and you won't be disappointed, but you'll want a subwoofer to fill that last octave. Trust me.

And I agree; get the Cornwalls instead of the Quartets if you have the room and the money. That price is reasonable.

In general with Klipsch, bigger is better. It pays to move up the food chain. Once you are in the Forte/Chorus/Cornwall range you will not be wanting for much. Those speakers make me very happy.  I agree with JJ, I spent the weekend listening to my Chorus II's and they are awesome speakers.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, vasubandu said:

It seems a little over the top to start with a Cornwall.  Maybe I am mistaken.  Would hate to mess up a speaker that nice.

Why do you think you would mess them up ?

Any named here would be a good start, but with Cornwall, forte or Chorus you would would probably be happy. Never heard the Quartet but Oldred liked them.

The less you buy and resell the cheaper you will end up, in most cases, unless you can get something really cheap.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

That is what I do to "things."  I am fine with ideas, but things are hard.

That's funny, if you don't try to customize them you will be fine, unless one of the boys turns the volume knob all the way up then run out the room scared. :D

You will be fine, just take your time looking

OK guys, you are probably going to write me off for this one, but my thought was to get some speakers that were nice, but not so nice that I could not play mad scientist with them.  And this may be old news, I don't know.  I want to see what happens if I can totally tame sound inside the speaker.  Normally sound proofing or sound absorption requires foam or textured panels, and that seem problematic to me.  So my thought was to use MDF.  Why not.  

And then I found a company called SoundPly.  They must be evil geniuses or something.   This was my favorite part

Leveraging several of the groundbreaking technologies developed for the RF Series of SoundPly panels, the LR Series provides near anechoic-grade sound absorption at a price point unheard-of for micro-perforated acoustic panels.

I have been chatting with a guy there.  Should have some details soon.

https://www.soundply.com/