RP-hub1 - thread for reporting of bugs and feature requests

Orca99

Hi all

I am new to Klipsch, to the RP-Hub1 and the forum. I love the sound quality from the hub, and would like to assist Klipsch to get the software sorted out.

I have seen comments on RP-Hub1 software issues in many different threads.  Would it be an idea to use this one thread for reporting of bugs and feature requests? 

Could it be pinned at the top of the Home Theater forum, so it is easy to find in the future, and to avoid new threads on the same subject?

If you post in this thread, kindly include the number when you refer to bugs already mentioned (for example; B1 - I have / have not experienced that one).

Also kindly add new bug reports &  feature requests by continuing to use the number system I have started. This can help avoid multiple reporting of the same issue.

If Klipsh need beta software testers, I would volenteer to be one of them.

Bugs I have experienced myself are:

B1) Speakers going MIA:

• On startup /power on
  • While on standby
  • During playback

This may involve speakers being dropped totally, or remain identified as present in the menu, but being silent. This is so bad that I was shocked when I once was able to just turn on the system and play with all speakers present.

B2) The speaker identification tone feature stay silent in my system.

B3) My universal remote can switch off the Hub with together with the TV; but when I turn on the TV, the hub does not follow.

B4) I have seen in another thread that the 2nd connected subwoofer was reported silent/almost silent; As I am considering to buy a 2nd subwoofer, please also check is this is a general bug. Note that the ability to connect 2 subwoofers is a unique selling point for the Klipsch hub.

My Feature requests are:

F1) Establish a memory for speaker settings (ID, position, distance & volume etc) , and allow users to lock the setting after setup of the speakers. This should remain if power is cut, and only change if the user unlock it, or factory reset is used.

F2) Have the hub recognize when the speaker setup is different from the locked memory settings, and automatically search for speakers which are MIA.

F3) To seach manually for MIA speakers requires about 10 button pushes on the remote to get to the right sub-menu.  I would like to be able to search using only one or two button pushes.

F4) Establish an alarm to tell the user when the hub can't find all speakers listed in the memory file, so the user can check what is wrong. A suitable alarm could be (user selected) either a tone or flashing lights on the hub.

F5) Work out an method to identify and deal with connected but "silent" speakers, for example to allow use of a USB microphone to pick-up test tones from all speakers.

F6) 2.0A 4K video pass-through on all HDMI inputs (from another thread)

F7) Allow use of the service USB port as additional input (as few audiophile music streamers have HDMI output)

F8) Improve the manual, to explain which input to the hub can receive what signal 

• 2.0 or 7.1/7.2 channels
  • allowable file formats for both music and video
  • in what maximum resolution

I have not managed to get playback above 48kHz using an optical input from a Mac Mini and 96kHz files, and don't know if this is a problem or normal behaviour?

Edited by Orca99
spell check
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Orca99 said:

B3) My universal remote can switch off the Hub with together with the TV; but when I turn on the TV, the hub does not follow.

B4) I have seen in another thread that the 2nd connected subwoofer was reported silent/almost silent; As I am considering to buy a 2nd subwoofer, please also check is this is a general bug. Note that the ability to connect 2 subwoofers is a unique selling point for the Klipsch hub.

B2) I have not had this issue, but when I thought I did it was because there weren't speakers in that "location".

B3) I resolved this through a setting in the Hub. I'll check to see which one when I get home.

B4) I have a second sub and have not had this issue. Perhaps this was fixed in the firmware update in 5/16?

As far as feature requests;

F6) +1, I second the HDR HDMI 2.0a firmware update.

F9) Support for 7.4 subs, the same Axiim supports. If this and F6 are not addressed soon I may end up buying the Axiim control center and two extra subs from them.

F10) Equalizer, and/or Sub volume adjustment. 

Edited by dethbysexy

• Chad pinned this topic

Hmm.  This might take awhile, lol.

*Hub and speakers power on and then goes off immediately every time.  After I hit power again it comes on and stays on.

*Won't power on using Logitech Universal remote or DirectV Remote.

*  There's always on speaker dropped at every use.  Not always the same speaker but always one.

* After getting hub powered on it works and I have sound but LED lights go away on the hub.

*  This probablyly goes under future upgrades you have already mentioned but there is only 1 4K HDMI and it's not compatible with my Apple TV, Amazon or directv UHD 4K.  I get 4K but not HDR, just SDR.  My two year old Denon had this capability. It's not that new tech.  I kept getting the message on my Apple Tv that I didn't have good enough cables.  I knew better.  I have the best you can get.  Big time overkill.  Figured out it wasn't the cables it's the Klipsch hub between my Apple/Amazon/Directv and my TV.  Need more 4K HDMI's and make them true UHD.

* Sometimes when it powers on it does at max volume.  Usually at 0400 in the morning giving the whole house a heart attach.

* Every couple of weeks I have to go through the finds speakers in the menu to both pick up the dropped speakers and 2-to correct them being identified in the wrong location.

There's so much more but........

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 12:14 PM, Galleywinter said:

Hmm.  This might take awhile, lol.

*Hub and speakers power on and then goes off immediately every time.  After I hit power again it comes on and stays on.

*Won't power on using Logitech Universal remote or DirectV Remote.

*  There's always on speaker dropped at every use.  Not always the same speaker but always one.

* After getting hub powered on it works and I have sound but LED lights go away on the hub.

*  This probablyly goes under future upgrades you have already mentioned but there is only 1 4K HDMI and it's not compatible with my Apple TV, Amazon or directv UHD 4K.  I get 4K but not HDR, just SDR.  My two year old Denon had this capability. It's not that new tech.  I kept getting the message on my Apple Tv that I didn't have good enough cables.  I knew better.  I have the best you can get.  Big time overkill.  Figured out it wasn't the cables it's the Klipsch hub between my Apple/Amazon/Directv and my TV.  Need more 4K HDMI's and make them true UHD.

* Sometimes when it powers on it does at max volume.  Usually at 0400 in the morning giving the whole house a heart attach.

* Every couple of weeks I have to go through the finds speakers in the menu to both pick up the dropped speakers and 2-to correct them being identified in the wrong location.

There's so much more but........

^^^Me too^^^  ALL of them...  I've been a diehard Klipsch fan for years....  I cannot express my dissapointment with my purchase so far.  The lack of updates, the lack of acknowledging there is a problem with their hub...  I expected better from Klipsch.  :(

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reasonably lucky with my connectivity since I quit shutting my hub down, but I absolutely second F6 and HDR support in general. 

I'd also greatly appreciate a modern user interface though this would likely require a second iteration of the hub all together.  The UI on the hub and TV both felt extremely dated even from the beginning.  My friends always enjoy laughing at how bad it is.  

• 1 month later...

I won't add the latest problem to my existing post.  I'll just do it here.  The latest bug is when I power on the control unit it comes on @ max volume.  It has done it several times lately.  So now when I hit the power button on the remote I have to stand there at the control box and hit the manual off botton.  There is a split second were I can see the lights maxed out that I can power off..  I'm a runner and this is awesome when I get up on Saturday morning at 0400 before my long run and have my system blast at max volume with the rest of the house sleeping.  The wife just loves being woken out of deep sleep with sportscenter @ max volume.  What a piece of junk.  Oh ya #Klipsch.  Still waiting on the "Lifetime Support" "Lifetime software updates", "Lifetime hardware if needed"...............

• Sad 1

I have a bug where if I try to play a surround sound SACD from my OPPO UDP-203, I have to reboot the hub to get the audio. Works fine with surround Blu-Rays from the same player.

In feature requests, I really wish there was an equalizer function in the Hub. The system sounds good but could be much better if I could tune it a bit for my room.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm so frustrated with my brand new $5,000 home theater.  I bought the hub, subwoofer, four surround speakers, and the center channel.  I could not be more disappointed.

For starters, I've updated the firmware of the hub and all speakers.  Everything is up to date.

Issues:

1) The hub freezes every three days.  I have to unplug it and plug it back in.  It's the only device in my house that I'm constantly rebooting to get it to work.  

2) When the hub turns on, there's a 50/50 chance that the volume is completely maxed.  Not only does it scare everyone in the apartment, but I can't imagine it's good for the speakers.

3) The speakers drop out randomly every day or so.  They don't get picked back up automatically and there's no notification that it happens.  Literally every time I want to listen to music or watch a movie, I have to use the terrible interface to check that all the speakers are connected.  If they're not, I wade through the abysmal menu for 60 seconds to add them back.

4) Did I mention that the menu is a joke?

5) There's no EQ?  The receiver is part of a $5,000 system with no EQ.  Let that sink in for a second.  My $12 clock radio has bass and treble knobs.

6) Future proof?  Wrong.  Instead, you get two years without an update.  At the very least, if they're going to completely neglect the people that bought these, they could open source the firmware so we could fix it ourselves.  They said in January that they were actively working on a new firmware update.  It's now over 5 months since they said that and they've released *nothing*.  Five months later and they still claim they're "working on it but can't provide a date".  Yah right.

7) The dishonesty from Klipsch is astounding. They knew this product has major faults that literally make it defective at it's primary purpose.  And yet, they still sell them as if nothing's wrong.  I'm embarrassed for them.  They should be red in the face as they stand there and knowingly sell a broken product.

At this point, I'm beyond my 30 day return window at the retailer.  I'm so disappointed because this was a major purchase that I saved up for and I absolutely regret it.  I wish I had spent the money running speaker cables instead.

It looks like Klipsch support completely ignores these forums, so I'm not expecting to hear anything from them  Instead, I'm wondering if the community can help:  Is anyone aware of a way to replace the hub with a different WISA receiver?  Is there any way to hack the speakers apart and turn them into wired speakers?  Is it possible to buy WISA transmitters and plug them into a wired reciever?  Is there ANYTHING we can do to recover some of the use or value from this system?

Thanks,

Ryan

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm SO excited.  I found a solution that works amazingly well.  There's a new receiver on the market called the Axiim Q UHD.  It works FLAWLESSLY with the Klipsch WISA speakers.  The downside?  It's $1,000.  If you can lay out the money, this thing turns the Klipsch system into what it should have always been.  I've been playing with it for a few hours and so far it's a 100% recommendation.  Here are some highlights:

- It works with the Klipsch speakers.  In fact, it updated the firmware of the speakers once they were connected and the audio profile chosen for me was "Klipsch Optimized".  Clearly they made a huge effort to make the receiver compatible with the Klipsch WISA speakers.

- The speakers sound perfect.  I played music, movies, and video games.  I tried AC3, EAC3, Dolby True HD, and DTS.  Each worked perfectly.  It's been about 3 hours and I haven't had a single blip from any of the speakers.  Normally by this time, one would have dropped out for a few seconds.  Still remains to be seen if the speakers drop and/or disconnect.  I'll update again in a few days.

- It has 6 HDMI inputs that ALL support UHD and HDR.

- ARC worked perfectly the first time I tried it.  No wonky setup, etc.  It Just Works.

- It has a setting for Default Volume When Powered On.  My Klipsch hub would randomly power on at 100% volume, so this setting is appreciated.

- The menu system is really good.  It's graphical, customizable, easy to navigate, and relatively pretty.  It's MILES beyond the Klipsch hub menu.

- The remote is bluetooth, which is great for those of us who keep their media cabinet shut.  It also has that soft plastic that feels like velvet.  I love that :)

- It has an eSata connection if you want to plug in a hard drive for music.  I won't use that, but crazy that they include it.  

- The attention to detail is awesome.  You can choose your menu accent color in the settings.  When you do, the matching Android App also changes it's accent color.

- Everything is super responsive.  No lag anywhere.

Klipsch makes amazing speakers, but they should seriously scrap their plans to build a hub v2 and just license this thing.  It's SO good.  If you guys have any questions, let me know!

Edited by cryptyk
edit
  • Thanks 4

On 6/6/2018 at 8:11 PM, cryptyk said:

I'm SO excited.  I found a solution that works amazingly well.  There's a new receiver on the market called the Axiim Q UHD

That's awesome you took the plunge. I contacted them back in Dec. but was hoping to catch it on sale.

The speaker firmware update is probably uploading WISA controllers. Btw, it apparently it also supports a 7.configuration as well. 

How long is bootup time compared to the Klipsch box?

Edited by dethbysexy

It takes a shade under 3 seconds from when I push power on the remote to when it shows an image on the screen.  At that point it's fully booted and 100% responsive.

I'm using CEC. I turn on the TV, which turns on the receiver.  By the time the tv displays an image (6 seconds), the receiver is already online.

I posted a pretty extensive review here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2982420-axiim-q-uhd-wisa-review-using-klipsch-wisa-speakers.html

Edited by cryptyk
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 8:34 AM, cryptyk said:

It takes a shade under 3 seconds from when I push power on the remote to when it shows an image on the screen.  At that point it's fully booted and 100% responsive.

I'm using CEC. I turn on the TV, which turns on the receiver.  By the time the tv displays an image (6 seconds), the receiver is already online.

I posted a pretty extensive review here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2982420-axiim-q-uhd-wisa-review-using-klipsch-wisa-speakers.html

Thanks for the info.  Sold out right now but when it becomes available I'm in......

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, JhonRambo said:

Very exciting. Can I adjust bass levels with this as well? I'm having MAJOR issues with my Klipsch Wireless 5.1 where I cant find a solution to reduce bass.

Yes. 10 point eq for each speaker

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 3:11 AM, cryptyk said:

Yes. 10 point eq for each speaker

So if I want the speakers to have high volume and no bass at all, I can reduce bass only and keep the volume? Or will volume be lower when I lower bass? I'd love to see a video from you although it's too much to ask for.

I just can't believe Klipsch don't have this in their rp-hub1... it's really frustrating considering it's an audiophile company. It's so bad and funny at the same time I want to cry. They provide the best speakers with the best bass, but you know what? You can't adjust the bass, only the volume *facepalm*.  Setting speakers to -10db gives you nothing but a volume reduction. It's time someone from Klipsch support visit these forums and take some constructive critism from people that paid like 5000euro for their system. And when is the last software update for the hub? 2 years... give me a break.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1