HII BB - Do Not Like Finish

Cody_Mack

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I got to see up close a pair of 1986 HII BB, and am not at all impressed with the finish. It looks cheap, tacky, cheap. These speakers are NOS, so I know it is the original finish. There is also a pair of Cornwalls on CL, and a picture of those (attached) indicate the same finish. I am really quite startled at the low-grade appearance. Any thoughts?

Rick

Cornwall-1.jpg

Just now, joshnich said:

Personally I do not believe that to be the original finish. From the picture those appear to be decorator models that came in raw birch. A photo of the tag on the back can confirm this.

Also, I though Heresy IIs had the rounded mid horn that is closer to the woofer. 

I wouldn't personally pay as much for a "painted on black finish over birch" as I would something veneered. It would have to be an original black finish to really bring more. Painted like that would be a minus for me. I'd have to redo them and they'd have to be cheap. Basic finishes from the factory were less expensive than veneered versions i.e. unfinished birch.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cody_Mack said:

Does anyone else have a comment on the lack-luster finish of these models, and most significantly, does the reduced factory cost result in a reduced resell cost?

Add my vote to @avguytx, directly upstream.  ^^^

+++

A premium finish can add value to a speaker, but it's usually something like zebrawood and on something like a Khorn.  The standard factory finish on Heresy will not add or devalue.

With any older speaker, condition is everything.  There are cases where there are craftsmen who can put an exotic veneer on a speaker, and if done professionally, that can add value.  In most cases in my experience, people who try to put on their own stain, or paint a speaker black when it originally had a factory veneer reduces the value sometimes by half. 

The reason being is most people like a factory finish, and if the new owner has to un-do someone else's crappy refinish job, it is a LOT of work, many hours of manual labor involving hand sanding.  Unless a person can get a speaker cheap, most don't like to do that.

A few years ago I bought a beat up pair of decorator cornwalls that I painstaking finished in piano black. They looked awesome and I was able to more than double what I paid for them. Cannot say it was easy. Lots of wood filler , sanding, sanding sealer and lots of coats of at the auto body shop - yes I had them painted at a body shop with automotive paint.

Not sure I could find photos of those! But they turned out fantastic.

How exactly are these New Old Stock?  Technically, NOS means they are still in an unopened box and their condition is a true 10 out of 10.   Even if you pulled these from a sealed box, they appear awfully dirty and weathered - like they've been exposed to moisture or some sort of environmental fallout.  Plus, they appear to have marks from things being stacked on them.  ..No offense, but if someone told me these are NOS, I would say, "no way". 

I bought my Technics SL-1200 mk2 as NOS from B&H Photo.  ..Yes, it had been 3 years since date of mfg., but it had NEVER been opened.  ..The factory seal on the box was not broken.

You are right, ODS123; improper description on my part. I should clarify; they were taken out of the box but they had never been connected.

Someone please give me a price for these thirty-year old, near NOS, dusty but otherwise very good shape, tested and working, 1986 HIIs with a TOUGH finish. That's all I'm asking....