Why don't most people care about good sound anymore?

Kain

This has been going on for along time. Up until relatively recently even a modest system was required for listening to music at all, regardless of how important or unimportant it was to you.  We now have a new generation who live through their phones and ear buds or headphones. What is being listened to also has an impact. I and many others here listen to albums. Most of my young coworkers listen to singles and purchase individual songs. There is a big difference.  Thier music is background and good enough for them. They don’t see the value of a physical system that actually takes up living room real estate. I think HT was a fad that many jumped up on and moved away from except for the hobbiest. I think the death of the video rental helped pull the legs out from the HT phenomenon. There are a lot of DVD and Blue Ray players out there collecting dust. A movie download just seems like enhanced cable, so it is “just” TV. Therefore a sound bar at most is good enough.

Hoarders. That's why there is few good sound to go around! :D Bunch of pack rats that won't ever let their audio gear see the light of day I tell ya.  Like some acoustic black hole they suck up any deal to be had then the good sound is never to leave the basement for others to enjoy. They tell themselves "I'll repair it one day" as they look at 75 receivers, 40 pair of speakers and STILL scour the net for more gear. 

You know who you are. I was plain dumb lucky to get my Marantz 2500.

Hoarders. It's their fault. The whole lot of them. The rest of society had HAD to go to peasant iPhone & iPods. 

Small sampling from the net. :P 

stack_pioneer_receivers_sx-580_through_sx-1980.jpg

326da136686d5ef62e6e595307f014df.jpg

Marantz_Collection_1_vintage-marantz.com.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Listening to music as an actual activity (as opposed to using it in the background for something else) is a long gone pastime.  Things were very different in the early 60s when I got seriously involved in audio.  Back then I was frequently asked to come up with system designs which allowed the listener to close his or her eyes and actually bond with the music.  I have recollections of so many folks sitting down on their favorite chair or sofa, closing their eyes, and simply relaxing while the music transported them to another place.  

Today, most people have so little free time that they consider music listening to be unimportant.  None of the audio guys I do builds or restorations for is younger than 62, and only one is still working.  In my opinion, interest in high quality audio will disappear as we old folks bite the dust.

Maynard

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Listening to music as an actual activity (as opposed to using it in the background for something else) is a long gone pastime.  Things were very different in the early 60s when I got seriously involved in audio.  Back then I was frequently asked to come up with system designs which allowed the listener to close his or her eyes and actually bond with the music.  I have recollections of so many folks sitting down on their favorite chair or sofa, closing their eyes, and simply relaxing while the music transported them to another place.  

Today, most people have so little free time that they consider music listening to be unimportant.  None of the audio guys I do builds or restorations for is younger than 62, and only one is still working.  In my opinion, interest in high quality audio will disappear as we old folks bite the dust.

Maynard

back in the 60s...they also smoked

mother nature...it helped bond with

the music....I may still work today...?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

back in the 60s...they also smoked

mother nature...it helped bond with

the music....I may still work today...?

So it is "legal" thus everything comes back full circle eh? :D So there might be hope yet. Just need to introduce them to psychedelic sounds.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Rxonmymind said:

So it is "legal" thus everything comes back full circle eh? :D So there might be hope yet. Just need to introduce them to psychedelic sounds.

Hadn't considered that.  It would be interesting to study the spread of legal weed against audio equipment and music sales.  

Dave

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oldtimer said:

They are too busy arguing politics?

I contend those folks already have good sound so they have time to pay attention to the more important aspects of being an American. That said, I also realize the OP isn't an American and is here to discuss audio. My answer to his question is that with technology improving it's hard to find a bad sounding system and most people seem to rely on Internet opinion on what to buy...Then you have the Brick-n-mortar's dilemma on how much time or effort do they want to spend knowing most will go back to the internet for pricing. It really seems to be a lose/lose situation for them. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Today, most people have so little free time that they consider music listening to be unimportant.

I agree with this as well as what Jeff said about other interests. That said, I spend at least 3 hours a night doing critical listening while reflecting on the day and what I'm going to do tomorrow...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mallette said:
52 minutes ago, Rxonmymind said:

Hadn't considered that.  It would be interesting to study the spread of legal weed against audio equipment and music sales.  

Dave

Evidently today's weed isn't only used for vegging on the couch and listening to music. 

There is also a lot of BS involved........The $400.00  cables.  I walked out of high end store the other day ...thinking WTF ...I could afford the cables....we demoed a PrimaLuna Tube integrated.

Of course we listened to a pair of Sonas Faber towers ....$10,000.....my Chorus II's blew them away.

George

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldred said:

........The $400.00  cables

Selling those may be the only way they can stay in business. Back in the day when I was looking for a mountain bike found the markup on those isn't very much to stay competitive but stores make their money on service and expertise...In audio it's the components/speakers that matter and mfgs seem to be raising the price and then offering big discounts. Honestly, I'm not sure how much quality has improved in speaker design but the components need to be changed out periodically to keep up with technology--Those latter items along with speakers can be price shopped on the internet. 

5 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Maynard

So nobody's gonna want my KHorns after I'm gone?

Its funny whenever I have someone over (non Klipschaholics) and we listen to music they say something like " Man, that sounds f#%&ing good."

• Like 1

It's primarily and issue of economics and convenience... combine that with the changing face of what constitutes fidelity in a modern worlds musical tastes and things were bound to change focus.

There is also a matter of perspective when it comes to what is "good sound"... but I already said that. :P

21 minutes ago, Mallette said:

¿

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

In my opinion, interest in high quality audio will disappear as we old folks bite the dust.

They said the same about vinyl.

Guess what's the most profitable, by sales per unit, of the beleaguered music industry today.

5 minutes ago, thebes said:

They said the same about vinyl.

Guess what's the most profitable, by sales per unit, of the beleaguered music industry today.

Well said, Master Thebes, and in uncharacteristically laconic phrasing.  Part of my mission with the Regional Music Heritage Center is to blow people away with sound like many have never heard and get them interested in great sound.  The finest video you can find still fails the Mallette's cat test.  But a great Klipsch system will make Mallette's cat shit its pants in a heartbeat. It is not audio that is the problem, it is the changes mentioned by others above in that audio stores are rare these days, and people are going less and less to any store and so are not exposed to great audio.  We won't win this game...but we won't lose either.  There is more vinyl, more turntables and carts, more great audio equipment in general available all the time.  It will last our time...after that, who knows.  Maybe a real "Ho Hum, another major breakthrough" will make great sound something you simply get from Amazon or wherever without the need to audition.  But they'll get my Klipschorns from my cold, dead hands.

Dave

On 1/22/2018 at 6:20 PM, SWL said:

When I first got serious into this about 2002 ish...... I started big in Home Theatre. All I cared about was dialing in how my subs sounded and surround effects. By the end of the movie I couldn't tell you what it was about. Besides, how many movies can a person watch?

I can listen to music 24/7 but that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So, back to the OP, you have good sound in 2 channel then right?