Maybe my wife is right

TFR1

I have some pretty good Cornwall's that I decided to refurbish. But will traveling in the frozen northern states last week, I found a pair of Cornwall cabinets that needed a good home. 

So yesterday was spent trying to prove to my wife that I am not crazy.(she suggested that they go into our 'Burn Pile'!)

New motorboards will need to be made, and some repairs made at the bottoms, but after removing the black paint, I think they can be saved. Probably will add new Walnut veneer, but lots to do first.

20180123_090436 copy.jpg

20180122_184847 copy.jpg

20180122_184651 copy.jpg

20180123_110814 copy.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TFR1 said:

I have some pretty good Cornwall's that I decided to refurbish. But will traveling in the frozen northern states last week, I found a pair of Cornwall cabinets that needed a good home. 

So yesterday was spent trying to prove to my wife that I am not crazy.(she suggested that they go into our 'Burn Pile'!)

New motorboards will need to be made, and some repairs made at the bottoms, but after removing the black paint, I think they can be saved. Probably will add new Walnut veneer, but lots to do first.

20180123_090436 copy.jpg

Damn, I suddenly don't feel so bad about my woodworking abilities! :lol:  Looks like they cleaned up nice, good save.

• Like 3

There was too much damage to the motor boards to save them. As long as I have to replace the motor boards, I thought it best to return them to their original Cornwall 1 form.

Over the past couple of months I have gathered parts for another Cornwall 1 project.  I will use those parts on these cabinets.

It does feel good to save something others had given up on.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TFR1 said:

20180123_090436 copy.jpg

20180122_184847 copy.jpg

Great save. Looks great. 

11 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Love Road America. 

My interests there was motorcycle racing. After dark, that area's mosquitoes can make vampires look like amateurs.  

@Woofers and Tweeters

You might enjoy the motorcycle project I am working on now.

1969 Egli Vincent. Very cool old racer. Found in a barn last year in Georgia mountains. Much work to do, but great fun.

Resized_20170712_100657.jpeg

03-78-c2a9-photo-rizzi-peier.jpg

• Like 3

Cool pictures , My wife and I have a couple of classics 1973 z28 rs 4 speed and she has a nice 1966 mustang coupe . Lots of fun , going to go to black hawk this year and R A and camp for the weekend .  Hung out with a lot of cool racers at RA last fall , They told us the spring race is better .

@JMON

Aircraft Paint Stripper

It did come off pretty 'clean'.

I was lucky. Someone had put a coat of lacquer ontop of the birch many years ago. That kept the paint from bonding with the wood. I also used a hand held wood scraper for some stubborn spots.

A scraper is a great tool that allows one to remove very thin layers with precision.(or ruin a surface if you haven't mastered its use)

I then wiped the cabinet down with Lacquer thinner and a very fine SS wire brush. No sanding yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TFR1 said:

1969 Egli Vincent. Very cool old racer. Found in a barn last year in Georgia mountains. Much work to do, but great fun.

Resized_20170712_100657.jpeg

03-78-c2a9-photo-rizzi-peier.jpg

Wow!  What a blast from the past, that thing looks unbelievable!  Great restoration job. 

Let's see how good my rapidly fading memory is.

Ceriani shocks and springs, Ceriani forks.  Brembo brakes, D.I.D aluminum rims.  Pirelli tires, maybe Continental?.

Judging by the take-up adjustment in that rear brake I'd guess the brake shoes are probably down to nothing.

Open straight pipe, Bing carb (probably 36mm) right side shift, probably one up, three down.

Going by that giant round aluminum tank beautifully integrated into the frame I'd guess the motor uses a total loss oil system.

Magura clutch and brake levers.  Probably a Magura 1/4 turn throttle.

That's a big sprocket, probably aluminum, 48 teeth.  I almost want to go with 54, but that seems too big.  A 428 chain.

Good luck finding parts for that motor and transmission!

How'd I do?

• Like 3