New Sub, New House, New Setup, Please Help!

Tricky115

Hello!

I just moved into a new place and I'm finally setting up my home theater again. My old subwoofer died in the move (It was almost 5 years old), so I picked up a new Klipsch Sub-12HG to match my Quintet. I have everything running through a Harmon Kardon AVR 1700. Everything sounds pretty good after running the Harmon's auto adjust setup, but I have no idea what my settings my subwoofer should be set to. I'd appreciate any help I have no idea what these buttons/switches do.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Tricky115 said:

Hello!

I just moved into a new place and I'm finally setting up my home theater again. My old subwoofer died in the move (It was almost 5 years old), so I picked up a new Klipsch Sub-12HG to match my Quintet. I have everything running through a Harmon Kardon AVR 1700. Everything sounds pretty good after running the Harmon's auto adjust setup, but I have no idea what my settings my subwoofer should be set to. I'd appreciate any help I have no idea what these buttons/switches do.

Thanks!

plug the rca cable into the left input labeled left/lfe

turn the crossover knob all the way to the highest hz, so the avr handles the crossover setting

gain needs to be set either by letting the avr do it or if it doesnt have autosetup, it should be done by ear 

try a good movie with strong bass effects and adjust it until they arent bloated and arent weak

if you have weak bass no matter what move the sub towards a corner or wall and redo the gain

if the bass is bloated no matter what move it away from the corner or walls and redo the gain

a youtube test tone from 20 to 200 should help you pick a crossover

if there is a quiet gap, turn the crossover up in the avr until the test tone is as smooth and consistent as possible

On 1/23/2018 at 10:19 PM, RoboKlipsch said:

if there is a quiet gap, turn the crossover up in the avr until the test tone is as smooth and consistent as possible

That's what Jason was alluding to.  The mains won't go low enough to meet the sub and the sub won't go high enough to meet the mains.  There'll be a gap in the frequency response.