UHD BluRay Players - best?

artto

I don't usually ask for opinions about products, but it's getting more & more difficult to compare some things side by side. And since video/HT is not my forte'.........I welcome yours.

Current system:

Onkyo TX-NR838

Samsung UN55HU7200

Sony PS3 (used primarily for DVD/BluRay. not a gamer)

Klipsch RF-7ii   Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos

Klipsch RC64

Klipsch RC7 rear/surround (horns turned 90d)

I want to upgrade to a 4K/UHD BluRay player. I've read too many reviews. Too many are conflicting.

I've had a Samsung UBD-M8500 in my system. The 4K picture quality was "ok" (my only 4K BluRay reference so far is Blade Runner 2049 & IT). I was quite surprised at the mediocre playback quality of DVD. I'd say the PS3 does a better job with DVD and regular BluRay. Since I have a substantial number of DVD & BluRay, I believe up-scaling will be more of an issue than I thought. What I saw from the Samsung I find a little disturbing and disappointed. DVD I watched on the Samsung 4K player, I thought looked kind of "dirty" compared to the Sony PS3, which brings me to the few, but bewildering (to me) alternative choices.

Runner up include:

Panasonic DMP-UB900

Oppo UPD-203

Sony UBP-800

From what I've read, the Panny has some options that allow getting near HDR performance with 4K TV that don't have HDR (like mine), but has no provision for Dolby Vision (not sure if this is worth anything). Some have said the Panny has the best quality picture hands down, others say it hardly noticeable & not worth the price. The opinions on up-scaling differences between Oppo & Panny have  been inconsistent.

Let the opinions ring :wub: and thank you in advance!

• Moderators

I have the Samsung 6500, br player, it did not do 4K so I wanted to try 4K. So not wanting to spend alot thinking it wouldn't be that much difference I started reading reviews and specs. I ended up with on of the models on your runner up list, the Sony  UBP-X800 (if that is the same). Our Tv is not full UHD but the player seems to do a good job, I don't think I would want it any brighter or more colorful, I think it would not look good if it were, so I guess it's up converting. Plus it plays SCADS and DVD A disc.

I like it much more than the Samsung, it's faster and does great with 4K and it even up converts regular DVD's, I can see a difference. Even tried streaming 4k from u tube since I only had a couple of 4 K movies to try and the picture was just as good on utube, depending on which video it was, most was very good.

One thing I didn't expect was the difference in sound, everything seems to sound better, I did try it for streaming music and it did better than the Samsung. Ended up finding it on sale somewhere a couple of months ago for $149, but after having it I would do it again at the normal price of $199, I like it.

I know it's not the higher priced brand or sought after model but this has been my experience, it was just to try 4K and I giving the Samsung to our daughter and will keep the Sony, and after many years of not liking Sony.

I think this the same model on your list

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800

Agreed, I won't either. Only problem is my 4K is 2.5 years old & doesn't have HDR. I also paid extra for a 5 year full replacement warranty since I got a really good deal on a refurbished model. So no HDR for the near future.

Actually, that's why the Panasonic 4K player made my list. It supposedly has some feature that compensates for non-HDR TV making it look "almost" as good.

I've already bought a Samsung UBD-M8500 player brand new/no open box from Crutchfield (gold standard customer service & support IMO) at a really good price ($150 w/S&H & taxes - had some $ rewards to collect) which should arrive today. I think the one I borrowed may have been up-scaling the old DVD & standard BluRay. The TV is already doing up-scaling. So there may have been some degradation from the two combining to do the same task. Honestly, I hadn't given that any thought initially. If worse comes to worse (new Samsung M8500 still looks worse than PS3 with DVD) I'll just keep the PS3 for DVD playback. It's not like I'm going to retrieve any significant $ selling it. And from everything I've read, if you're playing 4K BluRay there's very little if any difference between something like the Samsung or Oppo. It's always the up-scaling the reviews are saying is better. From what I know now, it's the 4K TV that should be doing the up-scaling anyway, not the player. I can see where up-scaling may have some enhancement effect with non-4K TV, but that's not the case here.