Mistakes by DIY's, hookups, etc ...

Emile

OK; starting a new thread to show "mistakes" made by members.Sure we have all been there and made stupid mistakes :) Willing to contribute to "worst mistake of the week" via PayPal. :) 

Here is my "last mistake." Bought a pair of KPT-904's ( http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KPT-904-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf ) and WAF is about 1.0 out of 10. So; decided to take the horns "off" and build a separate box for them. Box was build ... Heritage  cloth came in from Bob Crites ... made grille frames and glued on the fabric.  But ... IDIOT me ... forgot to paint the grille frame black  - see pic.  Have made more "mistakes" hooking up equipment, etc ...  :)  Would love to see "your mistakes." :) 

Cheers, Emile

IMG_2002.JPG

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

can we see a pic of the whole speaker? maybe it looks kinda cool in the context of the full package...

That's what I was thinking, might look fine ?

Yes plenty of mistakes, many simple things like trying for 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get the on screen display to show on the tv to then realize I never put a cable for that. To the other simple things like forgetting to press a button or flip a switch and can't figure out why something is not working.

I would have to say other than getting rid of things I am now sorry for the dumbest thing was when i built my second DIY sub. It was a Danley Spud, 2 opposing 8" drivers in a horn cabinet. It made very little sound, I went over every connection and setting in the receiver, I even let it play overnight. the next day I went over it all again and finely decided to recheck the drawing of the drivers and open up the sub up. It turned out the drawing I had which showed a line following a wire which I mistook how to connect it to the next driver. They were wired wrong and the drivers were fighting each other with almost no output, once changed it now worked, I was about to throw it in the burn pile.

When you do things like this and even worse the really simple things and then figure it out, you just stand there feeling really stupid.

• Like 1

Worst mistake I made was cross threading a T-nut without realizing that they don't grip going the other way very well.  The teeth bent and suddenly I had a sub that was loosely bolted to a box and couldn't tighten or loosen it.  Had to get a reciprocating saw and cut the bolts.  

• Like 1

I was working on an amp not too long ago. A DIY M2 First Watt Clone. I pulled the working board loose from the heat sinks to replace the input wires. When I put the board back I missed tightening one of the mosfets down by just a half a turn and let out the magic smoke.

Now I check 5 times, to make sure I seat those mosfets. Mistakes are great learning oppertunites.

Joe

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 7:17 PM, Emile said:

Would love to see "your mistakes." :) 

Good topic!  Having not ever made a misteak before myself, I look forward to seeing everybody else's mistakes.

In the meantime, enjoy my professional level work making my first crossover.  Please note expert soldering joints which look like they were squeezed out of a tube of toothpaste.

Fusion 10 pure low pass XO not working IMG_3622.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

I hate to see or smell it but I have always loved that term, and it's so true. :)

I've let the genie out of a subwoofer driver or 2.  You'll never forget that smell.  I ran 1200 watts through a 500 watt rms driver.  It lasted about 5 seconds at full song.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 7:05 PM, PrestonTom said:

Emile,

My mistakes, mistakes I made, lapses of attention, things I wished I had done differently. Far too many to list and far too many to admit to. 

In the end it will turn out fine and you will enjoy the listening.

Good luck,

-Tom

I like the far too many to admit to.....  It should read, far too many that we are willing to admit to.... many a doh moment!!!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 6:17 PM, Emile said:

OK; starting a new thread to show "mistakes" made by members.Sure we have all been there and made stupid mistakes :) Willing to contribute to "worst mistake of the week" via PayPal. :) 

Here is my "last mistake." Bought a pair of KPT-904's ( http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KPT-904-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf ) and WAF is about 1.0 out of 10. So; decided to take the horns "off" and build a separate box for them. Box was build ... Heritage  cloth came in from Bob Crites ... made grille frames and glued on the fabric.  But ... IDIOT me ... forgot to paint the grille frame black  - see pic.  Have made more "mistakes" hooking up equipment, etc ...  :)  Would love to see "your mistakes." :) 

Cheers, Emile

Did you glue or staple the cloth on?  Me personally, if stapled, I would just spend the time popping out all of the staples on 3 sides of the grill, fold the cloth over, then cover up the grill cloth and paint the frame black.  Once dried, fold the cloth back over and staple back down.  If glued, it just depends on the glue and how well it wants to release or not.  

If you used MDF for the grills (ugh), then it will be a major P.I.T.A to get staples out.  If plywood, much easier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:
On 1/28/2018 at 5:38 PM, Emile said:

Looks like a "Chinese" factory job :) 

You just made a bunch of Chinese people mad. :lol:

Whatever I lack in soldering skill I made up for by putting the crossover together wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1