Mistakes by DIY's, hookups, etc ...

Emile

After completing the first of my Lil’ Mike Anarchy Exodus tapped horn subs I was wildly disappointed at the first test.   My mood improved when I remembered that I’d stuffed the horn with a wad of newspaper to keep dust and critters out during the finishing process.

50DF885C-C0E3-431A-A7C8-B17C38DCBBF6.thumb.jpeg.f56815124011b86d73d3de44626ede9d.jpeg

• Like 3

• Moderators

Kind of did it again the other day, had music playing low since people were setting in the room talking and it cut off. It was Pandora and I first thought it was asking if I was still listening which it does sometimes but it was not the problem so I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out the problem. Then I noticed the amps cut off, I had them set to auto and when a song came on that was a little quite the amps went to sleep and the volume was not enough to wake them back up on the next song.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Then I noticed the amps cut off, I had them set to auto and when a song came on that was a little quite the amps went to sleep and the volume was not enough to wake them back up on the next song.

Ah, come on, that doesn't count.  It didn't cost you money and nothing caught on fire.  B)

27 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I mean, the wire glowed and melted... That one of my more spectacular, but not expensive, mistakes.

You get a full point for that one.  Two points if the meltdown would have taken the speakers out as well.  :D

• Haha 3

• Moderators
On 2/11/2018 at 4:35 PM, wvu80 said:
On 2/11/2018 at 1:43 PM, dtel said:

Then I noticed the amps cut off, I had them set to auto and when a song came on that was a little quite the amps went to sleep and the volume was not enough to wake them back up on the next song.

Ah, come on, that doesn't count.  It didn't cost you money and nothing caught on fire.  B)

True, but it did make me stand there feeling really dumb.

The lights are gold when sleeping and blue when on, sometimes it's the simplest things staring you right in the face and you don't see it. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not home audio but was installing an amp and subs in my truck and put the inline fuse about a foot from the amp behind the seat. Ran the wires under the sill plate in the door and through firewall and connected straight to battery. Powered up everything sounded great. Went to screw the sill plate back down and ran a screw into the power wire. Note fuse location from above. Lol  My neighbor came running over with a fire extinguisher as the wire insulation was burning off and killing mosquitoes in a 1/4 mile radius. Note to self: put inline fuse close to battery.  

• 2 weeks later...

Blew the output stage on one of my subwoofer amps. I probably didn't tighten the transistors properly, after some months one of the mica insulators had shifted slightly making a short to the heat sink. 10 discontinued Sanken MT200 transistors down the drain.

Luckily I found some genuine sankens in stock and got it up and running again. :)

DSC_0634.thumb.JPG.19297488c23cb4d18438868274b6c8ea.JPG

Probably the worst was not by me but a gentleman I sold a Krell Ksa-300 to. During our conversation before he bought it I asked him what type of connections for the signal he used and he said he has always just used single ended and I suggested to try balanced. Well after he received the amp he was experimenting between the two and when he went to switch cables he forgot to turn the amp off which resulted in blowing something in the output. Mind you this amp weighed 180# so shipping it to Krell for repairs was no easy feat. I really felt bad for the guy but it shows how a very simple mistake can end up with very bad results.