Passive radiator modification for Heresy 3s

hearhead

Hey guys any idea what passive radiator to use (and weight to be added) if I take out the back panel of the Klipsch Heresy 3's and make a new panel with a passive radiator a la Cornwall mod but using the passive radiator instead of port holes?

Also looking for tuning tips for the Passive Radiators.

Any construction tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

3 hours ago, hearhead said:

Hey guys any idea what passive radiator to use (and weight to be added) if I take out the back panel of the Klipsch Heresy 3's and make a new panel with a passive radiator a la Cornwall mod but using the passive radiator instead of port holes?

Also looking for tuning tips for the Passive Radiators.

Any construction tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

http://www.mh-audio.nl/PassiveRadiator.asp

Parts Express sells some more inexpensive PRs.  I have been using multiples of the 12" Dayton in my speakers.  They work very well and allow you to add mass to them easily.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sd315-pr-12-passive-radiator--295-496

1 minute ago, avguytx said:

Maybe buy a pair of speakers with more bass versus ruining a pair of H3's.  Or just add a sub.  Or find a pair of Forte 2's or 3's as mentioned.  Or Tangent 5000's.  

What fun would that be?  You never know, he might be on to something,  this might be the next big mod.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Ah, I see.

My philosophy is, if you want more horsepower, get a bigger horse.  B)

The fun is in the experimentation.  If you want to get from point A to point B faster and you ALREADY have the car you can:  add horsepower, lighten the vehicle, change the final gear ratio, etc.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  You never know where you'll end up.

• Like 1

Is the back panel on H3's removable where another could go in place of it for the "experiment"?  If so, no harm, no foul if you can find a 12" passive that will work and have lots of time on your hands.  But to butcher up a perfectly good pair of newer generation speakers is something else.  Otherwise, me personally, I'd whip out a set of MDF cabinets, throw all the speakers in it along with whatever passive you wanted to try, and go from there.  Do a removable back panel so you could experiment with passive radiators.  If they suck, throw the cabinets away and call it a day.

But this was done years ago and was called a Tangent T-5000 (passive radiator) and T-400/4000 (ported) of which both were larger cabinets.  

In that size cabinet the bass extension with the 12" passive I pointed to would be tuning to about 33hz.  As long as the Heresy woofer didn't reach excursion limits by then, the passive may produce a reasonable bass extension, very similar to a Forte 1.  That would be without added weight on the passive.  $70 vs $350 up for Fortes sounds like a win, particularly if they are older Heresys with removal back panels.  I'm not sure I would destroy new Heresy IIIs though.

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

$70 vs $350 up for Fortes sounds like a win, particularly if they are older Heresys with removal back panels.  I'm not sure I would destroy new Heresy IIIs though.

Yeah that's exactly what I was going to say, hack up $1000 pair of speakers to make them sound more like $350 speakers doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The Heresy's are very close to the same size footprint as the forte, the Quartet even slightly smaller than the forte as another option and have been thought out, designed and built by professionals at Klipsch. 

I'd be very surprised if simply adding a passive to the Heresy III would suddenly give them the same bass response as a forte-- when the forte was originally designed wasn't the goal to build a Heresy with better bass? They were readily using passives at the time why didn't they just slap one in the Heresy II back then? 

Heresy was PWK's Heresy.  I doubt they would have fundamentally changed that and due to the passive, the speaker works best within a couple of feet of the wall.  Being originally a center, Heresy's location may not be quite what was required for the bass support.