Passive radiator modification for Heresy 3s

hearhead

This will be an iterative full-on design project.  I hope it turns out well. 

https://www.parts-express.com/search.aspx?N=4294967118+4294964863&Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[endeca%3Amatches(.%2C"P_PortalID"%2C"1")+and+endeca%3Amatches(.%2C"P_Searchable"%2C"1")]&Ntt=bass*+box*&PortalID=1&showMoreIds=10025

There are probably better ways.  Wasn't one of the Tangents a Heresy in a bigger cabinet that went deeper? 

Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply! I live in SE Asia so the time zones a bit different hence the lat reply. 

Anyway! I really appreciate all the responses (what a helpful community).

The reason Im even considering the passive radiator mod is because my Dad is a speaker builder and I feel it would be a fun father and son project. 

What we plan to do would be to remove the original back panel via accessing it through the front woofer and preserving it and building an mdf panel with the passive radiator. (Were also determing if the back panel is glued or nailed/screwed with the nail/screw hole varnished over). This is so we can preserve a little resale value by holding on to the original back panel and installing the new one for the mod.

Thanks for presenting options such as these:

1. Just buy another speaker (ummm got this cheap and this would be the maximum size my wife wants in my living room)

2. Add a sub / build a sub (this is an option)

3. Use port holes a la Super Heresy (Will explore this)

Among these options Im leaning towards building a sub instead if the hacking off a back panel and installing a pass rad is too heretical for a Heresy 3 (hehehehe)

Will read up on the port hole modification as moray james messaged me about the merits of it vs a pass rad.

Again Thanks! 

2 hours ago, JohnA said:

This will be an iterative full-on design project.  I hope it turns out well. 

https://www.parts-express.com/search.aspx?N=4294967118+4294964863&Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[endeca%3Amatches(.%2C"P_PortalID"%2C"1")+and+endeca%3Amatches(.%2C"P_Searchable"%2C"1")]&Ntt=bass*+box*&PortalID=1&showMoreIds=10025

There are probably better ways.  Wasn't one of the Tangents a Heresy in a bigger cabinet that went deeper? 

The Tangent 400 was a larger ported cabinet with Hersey II components. A friend of mine who lives up on Lookout Mtn has a pair of them. I've always been tempted to build some new Tangent cabs and move my HII parts over. The original T-400 cabinet wasn't built very well. They sound great though.

Bruce

I'm liking the concept of this potential project. I hope you experiment! Doing this to a heresy 1 would be a whole lot easier since the back panels are originally removable. But since you have heresy 3, you will have to make do. Good luck! 

If I remember correctly the KG4 has roughly the same internal volume as the Heresy...  I know I had at one point considered doing the same thing to a pair of HII using KG4 radiators mostly because I had the parts lying around....

You might just try a different amp though? The HIII doesn't have the low end response of the Cornwall obviously but you shouldn't be missing that much?

• 2 months later...
On 24.1.2018 at 7:24 PM, wvu80 said:

Ah, I see.

My philosophy is, if you want more horsepower, get a bigger horse.  B)

Well that horse will be bigger with a 15" passive radiator 🤗