Better sounding Chorus 11

Scott marek

Just now, Maximus89 said:

Interesting! What modifications have you done to your Chorus II other than the tweeter with lpad? Full crossover rebuild? Did you do anything else? Using stock phenolic mid diaphragms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tweeter does not have an LPad. Claude and I were talking and discussing the higher efficiency of the DE120 over the stock Klipsch K79 and the easy way to fix that problem, if indeed someone decides it is one, is with an LPad. I do not intend to put one in because I LIKE how it sounds just as it is. Crossover is rebuilt and nothing else has been done and yes stock mids.

You have a Chorus or Forte or Cornwall II get in line to hear a set as I am making one available.

The tweeter does not have an LPad. Claude and I were talking and discussing the higher efficiency of the DE120 over the stock Klipsch K79 and the easy way to fix that problem, if indeed someone decides it is one, is with an LPad. I do not intend to put one in because I LIKE how it sounds just as it is. Crossover is rebuilt and nothing else has been done and yes stock mids.
  You have a Chorus or Forte or Cornwall II get in line to hear a set as I am making one available.

I have Chorus II and Chorus I. The Chorus II has Ti mids which are supposed to be louder than the stock mid so I wonder if it will match the louder DE120 tweeter better? Either way this sounds very interesting!

1 minute ago, Maximus89 said:

I have Chorus II and Chorus I. The Chorus II has Ti mids which are supposed to be louder than the stock mid so I wonder if it will match the louder DE120 tweeter better? Either way this sounds very interesting!

OK let me ask you this. Did you have to rework the crossover for that? You know where I am heading with this and that is those Ti diaphragms are an upgrade just like these tweeters of mine are.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave A said:

There is a very easy solution and you can add an L-pad in there and adjust the tweeter to be what you want...

4db is quite a bit, and most aren't sure of how to do this, or will want to mess with it.

This new setup does exactly that for me and with my somewhat lacking hearing provided things that were lacking before.

Never admit that you're half deaf. :D

I don't know why Bob insists rebuilding the crossover is needed when there are threads on just this with adding resistors or L-Pads to the tweeter circuit.

You're conflating various issues. Crossovers are rebuilt because the capacitors are so old the dielectric is breaking down (and they're going resistive), while some of the other parts - while functioning, look like they've been sitting in a wet shed for 30 years. So, Bob would say that normal, and required maintenance, is not an "upgrade" - it's just putting things back to where they belong. He also will not manipulate the attenuation or frequency response of the network -- he believes that should be done with tone controls or outboard EQ.

So, you are probably thinking of me. I often add additional attenuation if the customer requests it, but rarely with L-pads. I won't do it with a l-pad if I can do it with the autotransformer. I also prefer film capacitors over metallized types, but will use them if the budget mandates it. I consider most of my work "upgrades", because the majority of the parts I use outperform what is normally used. I read where you said that you thought the Sonicap was expensive - well - not really!

I have a set of LaScalas here right now with K-55-V soldered lug mid drivers, one of my tweeter lenses with DE120's on them and recapped AA's and I prefer the Chorus in direct side by side comparisons.

There is something wrong with your LaScalas. Or - if you don't have any boundary reinforcement for your LaScala during this side by side test -- there will be no bass. Cheap metallized types will also make them sound shouty.

And a heads up. You are not making "lenses", you are making horns. Horns and lenses are not the same.

With that said, the quality of the sample you sent me is amazing. Incredible fit and finish, and I'm looking forward to trying them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deang said:

4db is quite a bit, and most aren't sure of how to do this, or will want to mess with it.

I am finding that out and soldering is a mysterious art to many also.

6 hours ago, Deang said:

You're conflating various issues. Crossovers are rebuilt because the capacitors are so old the dielectric is breaking down (and they're going resistive), while some of the other parts - while functioning, look like they've been sitting in a wet shed for 30 years. So, Bob would say that normal, and required maintenance, is not an "upgrade" - it's just putting things back to where they belong. He also will not manipulate the attenuation or frequency response of the network -- he believes that should be done with tone controls or outboard EQ.

So, you are probably thinking of me. I often add additional attenuation if the customer requests it, but rarely with L-pads. I won't do it with a l-pad if I can do it with the autotransformer. I also prefer film capacitors over metallized types, but will use them if the budget mandates it. I consider most of my work "upgrades", because the majority of the parts I use outperform what is normally used. I read where you said that you thought the Sonicap was expensive - well - not really!

I did recommend the old crossovers be rebuilt for that reason and the idea that the crossover had to be altered in some way just to use the DE 120 was really what I was addressing. Claude suggested the L Pad and yes assuming many will not want to bother for those who do is it a viable option? I have thought about adding Bob's autoformer to crossovers so people could jump taps for fine tuning.  I know compared to many Sonicaps are not expensive but they are higher than the Dayton's and Erse's this cheapskate has used. I have a set of Chorus I's I am going to build and keep as test beds soon where I can go ahead and try things like different caps out.

I lean towards tone controls and EQ and Audacity also. I stuck those horns and DE120's into the Chorus and can adjust it to do anything I want without having to rework anything and they sound good.

6 hours ago, Deang said:

Never admit that you're half deaf. :D

Why not as I have lots of company ;D