50 year old Cornwalls

muel

Even more depressing...... throwing a KLF-30 over your shoulder to carry into the house and slipping on ice....then watching the speaker skidding down the driveway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Sad 2

Take a small rag that you run under super hot water and lay it on top of just that spot try not to get it anywhere‘s else you could tape off the area around it but the hot water from the rag will make it swell back up and try to make it not look so bad that’s a trick I do to a lot of antiques speakers and furniture with deep scratches or bangs on them. Just use masking tape plastic wrap all around the area that you don’t want to get wet with the towel that way it won’t get wet all around that spot Just give it some time. Also a Hot steam iron can do the same thing but you would still need to tape around that area so you will not damage the veneer or stain that is still good around it

13 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Take a small rag that you run under super hot water and lay it on top of just that spot try not to get it anywhere‘s else you could tape off the area around it but the hot water from the rag will make it swell back up and try to make it not look so bad that’s a trick I do to a lot of antiques speakers and furniture with deep scratches or bangs on them. Just use masking tape plastic wrap all around the area that you don’t want to get wet with the towel that way it won’t get wet all around that spot Just give it some time. Also a Hot steam iron can do the same thing but you would still need to tape around that area so you will not damage the veneer or stain that is still good around it

This is good advice and works surprisingly well!  I've done this a few times but with this damage there were little crumbs of the cabinet that fell to the floor.  The other speaker had edge damage to the front that had been repaired before I bought them.  You really can't see that old repair unless you are looking for it so we should be able to do the same here.  I'm looking for pictures.

13 hours ago, ODS123 said:

A good furniture repair guy could make that disappear (or nearly) using melted colored wax, etc..  ..If the speakers are truly as beautiful as they appear to be, I'd do it for sure.   ..Once again:  ..How about pics of the whole speaker :)

It looks like this is what was done on the other speaker.  It really had good results so I will give it a try.

I'm surprised I'm not finding more pictures but there are probably more buried in some folder.   These are old pictures before I refreshed the oiled finish.  The cabinets were quite dry at the time.  

You can see the old repair if you look close at the front edge of the top towards the right.

c1.jpg.6e3fafb5cc70242dba0caeaf0b2a7845.jpgc2.jpg.8ae7fba6fa07d0c5d83221130c31ef88.jpgc3.jpg.5e0497cb8c232a3d2e042c2ec227f94f.jpgc4.jpg.24425755f579afe67697369d0de072c7.jpg

• Like 2

Love the color of the grills; looks to be the same as my Klipschorns. So now that you are ready to get rid of them, how about trading me for my Cornwalls with black grills? :D

Sorry about your dent. My home, furnishings, and equipment lost Museum Quality Status when my first born became mobile lol.

• Like 1