KLF Home Theater

vasubandu

Klf 30's (2) 1,050 for pair, Klf 20's (2) 850 for both, Klf - C7 (1)ctr spk 300

https://spokane.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-home-theater-speakers/6432881105.html

I had a great talk with this guy. Someone suggested KLF-30 as an alternative to CF-4, so I decided to look around.  He was the original owner of the speakers. I do not know where KLF fits into the scheme of things. Is it above lower than my RC-7 and RS-7.  Before or after the CF-4?  And how would a KLF-30 compare to a CF-4?

The Epic CF series is an outlier.  The sound of the series one was consider not Klipsch-like and some updates were made to make it more Klipsch sounding.

The series only lasted from 1994-1996.

I have the KLF-30s and several KLF-C7s, I have had KLF-20 as well.  I really like them and the KLF-30s are being used as the mains in my family room HT.

I prefer 3-way myself.

However, there are some dedicated fans of the CF series around here and I believe justifiably so.

• Like 2

@opusk2k9 I am not sold on the CF-4 for any reason other than when I saw it, the clouds opened up and Klipsch spoke to me from the grave. I also know that parts are impossible as is finding one.  Any idea for the general consensus on the quality of the KLF?  And by that I mean like the KLF center versus the RC-7.  This guy uses KLF-20 for surrounds, which would blow my RS-7 away.  I did not mention it, but this set is in my state, so I could drive over and get it.  I had a great talk with the owner, and he would cut me a deal.  But would a jump to KLF-30, KL-20 and KLF-C7 be up down or sideways from RF-7 i, RC-7, and RS-7 if you know or have any thoughts. Assume I could the KLF set for $1,800, at which point it would costs the same as the RF set.

I love my klf30s and my klfc7. I also have klf10s and had a pair of klf20s. Great line of speakers. Klf20 value between $500-700 depending on finish and condition. Klf30 value between $600-900 depending on finish and condition. Klfc7 $150-300 depending on finish and condition.

I did just pick up a pair of cf3 version 1, but haven't compared them to my klf30s yet. I will say, they are pretty good, but I love 3 way speakers.

• Like 1

I just picked up a KLF set myself. Mint condition from original owner. Four KLF-30's and a KLF-C7. Was put in his HT and never moved since new. I own three pair of KLF-30's, a pair of KLF-20's and four KLF-C7's. I have nothing bad to say about any of them. 

I can't compare to your RF, RC, RS set but I love the three way design and these are a few Klipsch that need no subs. I have heard the CF-3 but never the CF-4. They sounded nice and balanced with good bass response but like i said i prefer the three way design on most of the speakers. I owned JBL SVA-2100 for several years which were introduced to go head to head with the Klipsch Epic series I believe. They were very nice sounding but not nearly as efficient as the Klipsch.

Just to put it out there, I paid $1700 for the five piece KLF set last month if that helps you in your decision. Good luck!

Here was the Ebay listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Home-Theater-System-KLF-30-4-C7-1-/173074220421?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=EvNbkKIlQTsoDF0g%2BprUgaMalq4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Tim

• Like 3

6 hours ago, vasubandu said:

@willland your counsel would be appreciated above many others here.  Is KLF a step upor a step down?

Well thanks for the complement but I am a student of all this just like many others.

If your plan is a full KLF HT rig, then it can be a step up.  As far as an RF-7 HT system vs KLF HT system some may say it would be a tie.  I have no way of knowing from my experience in any head to head matches.

Bill

23 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Wow, this is really hard and complicated, but simple too.  I know what I like, but I can't find it.

Just my .02, but I'd say you've found it.  You can't go wrong with the KLF set up.  Nor would the CF's have been a bad choice either.  As far as the newer lines I've never been much of a fan, but have heard/read good things about the Reference line.  I find the old school Klipsch's still sound better but to each their own.

Having owned a 4-Klipschorn/Academy Center back in the day, the KLF's for HT and music listening purposes are about as tight as it gets for the $$.  I'm running 2 30's up front, dual C7 centers, 4 KSP-6's for side and surrounds, with 4 KSB 1.1's as height speakers for Atmos (after much critical testing, my ears find these to timbre match as closely as possible to the Legend line).  To complete my 7.2.4 system, I run dual JL Audio Fathom F-113's.  Overkill.  I know.  :)))

Bite the bullet vasabandu, you'll be extremely happy you did.

Edited by Frankenstein
mispelling
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

And now he will sell the set to me with a bunch of other stuff for $1600.  Seems like I have to do it.  Is there a bipolar KLF surround?

The KSP-S6's were the surrounds to "match" the KLF Legend Series (http://www.klipsch.com/products/ksp-s6-surround-speaker).  They were also featured in the KLF Brochure.

Have to hunt for them but they are out there.  Took me about 6-9 months to find two pairs by setting a Google Alert.  A fair price is around 2-250/pr, yet some are beginning to ask more now that they are getting more rare.

19 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

And now he will sell the set to me with a bunch of other stuff for $1600.  Seems like I have to do it.  Is there a bipolar KLF surround?

I don't think you will be disappointed.  I love mine.  Some will recommend changing the tweeter diaphragms to titanium and bracing the internals of the KLF-20/30 cabinets.

I haven't made these changes and am still happy.

• Like 1