New Listening Room, and New House

Mallette

Lived out west and have been stung by scorpions more than once. Momentarily very painful, like sticking a needle in the tip of your finger. However, the first time it was rather interesting after that fact as I had mild and pleasant hallucinations for a while. 

Tarantulas? Played with them as a kid. Quite harmless...unless you threaten them by squeezing or something. Then they will bite and they have LARGE and powerful mandibles so it will be most unpleasant and you will certainly turn loose.  But you really have to go out of your way to get bitten. I never got bitten...though I have been by praying mantis's.  They are quick to bite even if you don't squeeze them and hurt pretty bad as well. 

Spending a lot of time in the woods growing up one learns about good snakes, bad snakes, poisonous and non-poisonous plants, what to locate to make a fire when everything is soaked, how to skin and cook almost anything (including snakes...very tasty roasted on a stick), what water to drink and what not to, how to orient yourself when lost, and such. I was, an remain, at home in the woods. My dad would take a friend and I well out into the Arkansas backwoods on the Cossatot River and leave us for a week or so by the time I was 12. One of my friends parents wouldn't let him go and told my dad it was too dangerous to leave us there. My dad said "Seriously? What's dangerous there? They know how to eat, build fires, make shelter, and swim. They are safer there than on the streets here with pool halls, hoodlums, broken glass, and all sorts of trouble to get into. It's the one time I don't worry over him in the summer." He fully believed that, and I've taught my son the same skills, supplemented with Scouting, and have no concerns about his ability to survive...and thrive...in the wilds.

Dave

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Mallette said:

Lived out west and have been stung by scorpions more than once. Momentarily very painful, like sticking a needle in the tip of your finger. However, the first time it was rather interesting after that fact as I had mild and pleasant hallucinations for a while. 

Had no idea, bet the Indians knew that.

9 hours ago, Mallette said:

Tarantulas? Played with them as a kid. Quite harmless...unless you threaten them by squeezing or something. Then they will bite and they have LARGE and powerful mandibles so it will be most unpleasant and you will certainly turn loose.  But you really have to go out of your way to get bitten. I never got bitten...though I have been by praying mantis's.  They are quick to bite even if you don't squeeze them and hurt pretty bad as well. 

I would never ever get close enough, I am scared of one thing, spiders, don't even like the small ones, I would rather run across a 6' rattlesnake than a spider.

This thread has definitely veered off the road.  Had scorpions, little silver lizards, potato bugs, black widows, snakes, all the good stuff where I grew up in CA.  I avoided getting bitten or stung by them, I wasn't one to test how far I could go with them.  I'd mess with them for sure, but to a point.  Crazy thing was to take a canning jar put a scorpion in it, then add about 20 - 25 fire ants.  One heckuva battle.  So cruel, so cruel....

Hey dtel, you mean you don't like these?

indentification-pacific-northwest-spiders-5.1-800x800.jpg.c324720a3c7e2db2102a754802827e73.jpg

Wolf spiders, one of many types up here.  They like to come running out from under piles of clothes, shoes on the floor, etc.  Yeah, they like to live inside, more toward the colder months, don't pay rent though, die they must.

• Like 1

Wolfies are great.  No web, and not the danger that brown recluses are.  Been around all of these things all of my life, only been warning stung by paper wasps, and stepped on a few bees barefooted.  Since the geckos moved into north central Texas, I see way fewer recluses or wolf spiders around.

1 hour ago, ACV92 said:

This thread has definitely veered off the road. 

Well, talking about a listening room is like looking about music.  Anyway, i'll get a decent picture of its current state in the next day or so...

Dave

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ACV92 said:

Hey dtel, you mean you don't like these?

Uh yes, I knew it was just a matter of time before there was pic of one, big hairy ones are the worst. I quit rabbit hunting because of those huge banana spiders webs, you walk right into them before you see them sometimes. :( I think I shot more spiders than rabbits.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

No web, and not the danger that brown recluses are.

A friend I worked with was bitten by one while unpacking a crate that had equipment parts packed with straw around it, he was in the hospital for months and almost lost his hand.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dtel said:

Uh yes, I knew it was just a matter of time before there was pic of one, big hairy ones are the worst. I quit rabbit hunting because of those huge banana spiders webs, you walk right into them before you see them sometimes. :( I think I shot more spiders than rabbits.

A friend I worked with was bitten by one while unpacking a crate that had equipment parts packed with straw around it, he was in the hospital for months and almost lost his hand.

Was laughing at the 'shooting more spiders...." not that you're friend almost lost a hand. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Wolfies are great.  No web, and not the danger that brown recluses are.  Been around all of these things all of my life, only been warning stung by paper wasps, and stepped on a few bees barefooted.  Since the geckos moved into north central Texas, I see way fewer recluses or wolf spiders around.

fewer recluses has GOT to be a good thing, eh?  ugh.  never been bitten by one of those things, and never want to be.  ugh.  one nasty bugger, that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, about 90 percent there. Still work to do in the main listening/HT room as that system is rather complex...but my living room is set with its "pure" DynaQuad system and I am VERY happy with it. Also just got my 1928 Marshall and Wendell AMPICO player delivered today from its appearance at the Scott Joplin Regional Music Celebration were it got rave reviews both on its own performance as a player, and from our feature Joplin artist Grammy Nominated Richard Dowling, who performed on it at the Friday night Gala Preview event.

It sounds throughout the house and is, of course, beyond any system in being "real," since it is. Purest real time digital to analog processor available.  Love it!

OTOH, my little system here is formidable. Pair of Frazier Mark Vs up front, and Mark IV's in the rear all run from a Jolida 10w amp through the DynaQuad. Preamp is Soundcraftsman, and a DBX 117.  I think my DBX 3BX may be at life's end, as the mid range was showing full scale without a signal. In any event, I am quite happy with the 117 which I've had since the late 70's. Sub is a Klipsch.  That little Jolida provides more volume that I need...enough to fill the house with great sound on it's own. I have a laptop I'll use for access to my digital files. 

Dave

_IMG5489.thumb.jpg.a29cabf33788e726d14e4625ed1679c7.jpg

_IMG5491.JPG

_IMG5487.JPG

_IMG5435.JPG

• Like 3

Figuring out the DBX 400 routing selector yet again was quite an adventure. Got everything up now, including my FM transmitter, but still have ground loop hums in the turntables to track down...Yecch! Won't SOMEBODY invent a ground loop sniffer.  

Then, of course, I have to keep up with the routing of the HT computer, DBX 4BHX, the RekOKut re-equalizer for the 78s, the path of the TASCAM 3000 and the cassette deck, and how they interface with the Super PAS4i preamp to the Yammie HT receiver. 

Well, I'll figure it out or go nuts trying. It's what we audiophools do...

Dave

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mallette said:

...Yecch! Won't SOMEBODY invent a ground loop sniffer.  

Jensen has a pretty fool proof way of finding them.  I have 2 of their diagnostic plugs and directions for use.  Let me know if you need me to send them to you.

52 minutes ago, Mallette said:

I'll fight it a bit. I can wait until Pilgrimage. Bring it up then, and perhaps I can stay sober enough to use it and get it back to you before you leave.

Dave

Deal.

The directions pretty much take the guess work out of it.