KLF-30 instead of CF-4. Win or lose?

vasubandu

36 minutes ago, Deang said:

You changed the tuning frequency of the port(s). This subjective improvement would be specific to your room/environment and your ears. 

Middle C is 261Hz. There is a good chance your subwoofer is running near or into this area. 

I threw out the middle C just as an example.  My perception was everything sounded higher pitched than I would have expected.  All I know is after the changes (which I tried to make one at a time, then listen for differences) the music and voice was more accurate to my ears.  I don't include drums and cymbals because who knows what they sounded like when recorded?  Piano is usually my reference because as an acoustic instrument any electronic reproduction is going to be hard to get it right.

I was not sure why (or even what) changed the box tuning.  I threw the fiberfil into the bottom of the box just for fun.  I was surprised to hear what the effect was because everything I read said "foam lining for ported and fiberfil for sealed."  FYI the XO point for the CF-4 is 1500 Hz.

I know what you are saying about the sub but the effect was heard by me way before I ever added a sub.  Even now I don't always use a sub but the accuracy is better, I'm sure.  What the sub did IMO was add some punch to the lowest octave and dynamics to the speaker.  I'm think specifically of a Chick Corea recording where he plays a grand piano where I can hear the difference.

I'm adding a couple of Umax 15's w/ pair of Inuke 3000 w/dsp so right now the sealed 15" sub is not in the mix.  I have one Umax hooked up but so far it is leaving me flat as the Dayton Audio Reference 15 sounds much more dynamic to me.  I am learning how to use the Inuke software so I'm sure I don't have it dialed in properly, and probably not even close.

+++

Dean, since I have your attention, I am running my XO stock.  What would you suggest to me regarding changing XO components?  I think you did that for another forum member from Florida and I think you used the OEM values and just changed the brand of the caps.  I think he liked what you did pretty well.

Here is the Chick Corea piece that sounds so phenomenal on my CF-4's. Play it loud to get the dynamics.

On 7/12/2018 at 6:13 PM, STV_Keith said:

So, I figured I'd post this here on this thread...from my FB post in the Klipsch Fanatics group.

I finally got the living room to the point where I could put together some of the system and compare the CF-4 v3's to the KLF-30's. Each pair were connected to a Yamaha MX-800u amp, running off the speaker A output. They are 170w RMS / 270w peak, per channel, driven from a Yamaha RX-A2050.

Overall, I have to pick the CF-4's for 2-channel use, if you can only have one pair. The CF-4's have more low bass where the KLF's seemed to be a little tighter, but didn't go as low. The CF-4's also had more in the lower mid range and more at the very top from what I heard. The KLF-30's had more in the midrange, were more vocal, but not as bright on the very top.

The KLF-30's will make an excellent center channel speaker in my HT setup though, once I get to that in this house. I will say that having both pairs running at once sounds FANTASTIC. The two models complement each other very well.

CF4vsKLF30.jpg

A few things that might make a difference is the KLF are to be off the wall X amount for the porting to work right and the CF4 has the spread advantage and the corner advantage. When I AB mine, I mixed that up a little, such as KLF, CF......KLF, CF so that neither had the spread advantage. 

Great looking setup. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deang said:

Dave,

You changed the tuning frequency of the port(s). This subjective improvement would be specific to your room/environment and your ears. 

Middle C is 261Hz. There is a good chance your subwoofer is running near or into this area. 

There is a mathematical relationship between the woofers, cabinet (displacement), ports and network low pass. It’s generally not a good idea to mess with any of these. 

Signed,

The Hypocrite:-)

Correct.  May work one place with one amp but won't work in other rooms with other amps.

12 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I was not sure why (or even what) changed the box tuning.  I threw the fiberfil into the bottom of the box just for fun.  I was surprised to hear what the effect was because everything I read said "foam lining for ported and fiberfil for sealed."  FYI the XO point for the CF-4 is 1500 Hz.

Don't believe everything you read.

10 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

A few things that might make a difference is the KLF are to be off the wall X amount for the porting to work right and the CF4 has the spread advantage and the corner advantage. When I AB mine, I mixed that up a little, such as KLF, CF......KLF, CF so that neither had the spread advantage. 

Great looking setup. 

Same things I was thinking when seeing the picture (though nice toys).  Both KLF and CF4 need room to breath.  KLFs need to be away from the wall a little and for an accurate test, speakers need to be placed individually in a open space.  Additional speakers in an area end up being nice absorbers, definitely modifying the sound by their own tuning.  Also getting both pairs away from reflective areas when the horns will either enhance or detract from some frequencies is always necessary when evaluating.

Again, specific to room and placement.  Both of course punching way above their weight, particularly when you compare them to the price of new speakers.