Simple question: what is the next step up from Chorus II?

vasubandu

I had a suggestion to consider klf-30s instead of the cf-4.  I like what I see. Better,  worse or the same? And if you say better then what else is out there with 2 12 in woofers? 

There is a set available a few hours away.  KLF-30 klf20 and  7. He is the original owner and I could get it under 2k. Thoughts? 

22 hours ago, Emile said:

As noted before ... go "Pro." I just got the 904's (OK; there are bigger and better ones). Dual 15" woofer and 3" voicecoil with 2" throat horns. Unbeatable :)

Cheers, Emile

I think so to. I have a pair of KP-301 II's and KP-115's right now in the shop. Cost $1,000.00 and absolutely heads and shoulders above the Chorus I's and II's I have had even though the bass is not quite as deep. I think I might build an OThorn and combine that with my pair of Pro La Scalas and call it done. The Pro La Scalas are much better sounding than the regular La Scalas because of the K-43 woofer and are cheaper to boot. No WAF though so there is that problem. If you are in control and pure sound is the determining factor and not pretty Pro is the way to go. I have some older KP-250's with the K-42-K woofers in them and man they blow Heresy's out of the water. Truthfully with the lack of bass as deep as the Fortes everything else is the same and those KP-250's rock. I think the earlier KP-250's with the K-42-K woofers are the ones to get by the way the newer ones are not nearly as musical.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Pro is the way to go

I have seen some remarkable deals on pro stuff. When businesses liquidate they don't follow niche markets. This is fascinating.  The idea of getting a speaker made for medium to large theaters and auditoriums is intriguing to say the least. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dave A said:

KP-301 II's

What's the difference between the KP-301 II's vs Chorus II's other than the pros being ported and in a smaller cabinet? The drivers are titanium, which you can buy for the Chorus II's as well.  Just curious if a modded Chorus II with high end parts in a new crossover would be "better" than the pro or equal? I believe @CECAA850 had some for sale recently near me. I should have jumped on it when i had the chance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

What's the difference between the KP-301 II's vs Chorus II's other than the pros being ported and in a smaller cabinet? The drivers are titanium, which you can buy for the Chorus II's as well.  Just curious if a modded Chorus II with high end parts in a new crossover would be "better" than the pro or equal? I believe @CECAA850 had some for sale recently near me. I should have jumped on it when i had the chance.

Having had both I prefer the sound of my current setup as noted above. My preference in general is for ported speakers over speakers with drones because I can put them anywhere and get great sound. Outside away from walls or corners it just does not matter they sound good. Chorus II's on the other hand have to be placed in specific conditions to work right. Interestingly enough the cubic inch displacement of the Chorus and KP-301 is almost exactly the same. Pro stuff as far as I know is all Baltic Birch to and no MDF junk.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have had all three. The CF4 gets my vote in the consumer market. The epic series really are awesome speakers the KLF's are nice too I just preferred the "poor mans K510" horn in the CF4's. 

if we start looking outside of the consumer market then there are several other better speakers. Dave's 301II's are essentially a Chorus in pro form and sound awesome, Ive had a pair of those too which are now in my Dad's shop.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moray james said:

funny the Chorus is the Klipsch replacement for the Cornwall ll. If you want to go with flea watt SET or SEP amps go with the Cornwall  or Cornwall ll. If you want a high power pro woofer and a larger modern design mid horn go with the Chorus or a Chorus ll and a big SS amp.

Of them all the Chorus I is my favorite. Precise crisp bass and all the high notes too and it does not care where you place it. Better yet one of the earlier versions of the KP-301. That K-48 is just superior in every way.

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Dave A said:
1 hour ago, rockhound said:

It was early and I hadn't had my morning cup of Joe...…..

That's right it IS your fault.

I seen this and my blood pressure went up,  All I could think was I need to introduce him to the Medwin dude. 

• Haha 3