My First Experience in a Dolby ATMOS Home Theater

Youthman

I'm not an advanced user and my set up is very basic, but just recently I got a new receiver with two things in mind: I wonted an AVR that can set crossover points for the front, center and surrounds apparently and more importantly an AVR that supports Atmos. I'm very intrigued by Atmos and want to try it and in case if I wont like it, I always can switch back to 5.1. :)

Great video. Thanks.

• Like 2

I didn’t think much about atmos until you mentioned the value of hearing sound from above, like rain scenes. I guess I was thinking when they were first adding speakers like the additional speakers for wides or height channels it didn’t interest me. My room was not wide and heights I was like if I look at my blu rays I own now, most are only 5.1 and I have to expand them to 7.1....how many times would I actually use it. After seeing your video I would consider it down the road, but I believe would really need a dedicated space with flat ceilings. 

• Moderators

I'm probably not ready to move towards ATMOS right this minute as it would cost quite a bit to make that jump.  One thing I didn't mention in the video is most receivers cannot acommodate 4 ATMOS Speakers so I would need to purchase an amp to at least power two channels so it would free up channels for AVR to power the ATMOS Speakers. 

I love Atmos when done nicely. I wired up my room for 9.2.6-currently using 7.1.4. Planes, rain overhead etc.  really add to the soundtrack I think. Also in  more subtle soundtracks like Gravity- you are totally immersed in the movie. Now with newer receivers like Denon coming out, you will be able to utilize 6 overhead speakers! If you can get a hold of the Dolby Atmos Demo stuff, I would recommend it- some of the clips really show off the sound format nicely. I use the CDT5800's for my Atmos speakers. Painted up the grills and they blend nicely into the ceiling, I think they work great for Atmos. Youthman, great video as usual. If possible I would recommend going for it. 

I was skeptical about it going into it but I needed a new receiver anyways and had the extra speakers around to give it a shot. I was happily surprised once I installed ~1 year ago. My first 2 Atmos setups had upward firing speakers resting on the front towers which yielded good results. However now I have the Atmos speakers mounted directly above the seating positions and that took it to a whole other level. Most 4K discs have Dolby Atmos or DTS:X mixes now and several Blu-ray as well. But honestly my Marantz does a heck of a job upmixing Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD tracks to Atmos/DTS:X formats. I guess what I am trying to say is don’t let the lack of Atmos content prevent you from making the upgrade.

I would consider my upgrade to Atmos one of my top 3 favorite system upgrades of all time. Going from one sub to two was also a significant upgrade IMO so it would be hard to choose between those 2. I have used my setup more in the last year than I had the previous 2-3 years. 

Just my opinion.

Also if anyone is looking for some great demo content Dolby has an app on Xbox called Dolby Access that has nothing but Atmos content. Just an FYI! 

Great video @Youthmankeep em comin!

789CA5BC-9F38-4AE1-8788-E0ACDF06A4FC.jpeg

4146DA23-D7B0-41C6-B74D-C514F7AEAAC8.jpeg

123CBA34-06EC-44A6-A3FA-04692B6998FC.jpeg

47 minutes ago, johnnydrama said:

I was skeptical about it going into it but I needed a new receiver anyways and had the extra speakers around to give it a shot. I was happily surprised once I installed ~1 year ago. My first 2 Atmos setups had upward firing speakers resting on the front towers which yielded good results. However now I have the Atmos speakers mounted directly above the seating positions and that took it to a whole other level. Most 4K discs have Dolby Atmos or DTS:X mixes now and several Blu-ray as well. But honestly my Marantz does a heck of a job upmixing Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD tracks to Atmos/DTS:X formats. I guess what I am trying to say is don’t let the lack of Atmos content prevent you from making the upgrade.

I would consider my upgrade to Atmos one of my top 3 favorite system upgrades of all time. Going from one sub to two was also a significant upgrade IMO so it would be hard to choose between those 2. I have used my setup more in the last year than I had the previous 2-3 years. 

Just my opinion.

Also if anyone is looking for some great demo content Dolby has an app on Xbox called Dolby Access that has nothing but Atmos content. Just an FYI! 

789CA5BC-9F38-4AE1-8788-E0ACDF06A4FC.jpeg

4146DA23-D7B0-41C6-B74D-C514F7AEAAC8.jpeg

123CBA34-06EC-44A6-A3FA-04692B6998FC.jpeg

Just curious what Marantz are you using

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, johnnydrama said:

y first 2 Atmos setups had upward firing speakers resting on the front towers which yielded good results. However now I have the Atmos speakers mounted directly above the seating positions and that took it to a whole other level.

I would think the in-ceiling would sound better than the upfiring speakers but I guess they provide a nitch for those that do not want to mount speakers to their ceiling or cut holes in it.

Love your setup Johnny.  Room looks great.  What brand speakers are those?

4 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I would think the in-ceiling would sound better than the upfiring speakers but I guess they provide a nitch for those that do not want to mount speakers to their ceiling or cut holes in it.

Love your setup Johnny.  Room looks great.  What brand speakers are those?

Thanks!

True however I did read an Atmos review a while back that stated that if your ceilings are 8 ft or less that the upward firing Atmos modules would disperse better than the ceiling mounted option. Makes sense if you think about it. 

My speakers are JBL Studio 590s. Was sad to get away from Klipsch. But these JBL horns are unbelievable and for the price I couldn’t pass them up.