My First Experience in a Dolby ATMOS Home Theater

Youthman

Wow it's been a while since I've been here and posted, but I've been using Klipsch Dolby AE speakers in a 5.2.4 setup for well over 2 years now. I have flat 9 feet high ceilings and didn't want to modify any structures, so I decided to give Dolby AE a shot. Every person who I have done a demo for has come away impressed. Just don't tell them what they're about to experience and then watch them look above them and see that no speakers reside there. It's always a good time.

On 1/29/2018 at 9:16 AM, dimanata2007 said:

p.s. I spent some time in a local WM going through the recent BD's and then searched Dolby Atmos BD and looks like Atmos reserved for 4K BD and not available on regular BD's. Has anyone seen a non 4K BD with Atmos?

The mummy,..available at Redbox 

Awful movie but it claims Atmos 

Question ... just got a new AVR which can run 5.2.2. (And think I can live with 5.1 since I have an outboard Marantz 2252B with KPT-904's  :) )  But ... room is about 14 x 24ft with one side (and half the rear) open to a 25 x 35ft great room. To make it more complicated, one side of the room (about 5ft - long side) has 8ft flat ceilings ... the other side is "slanted cathedral." And if I understand @johnnydrama correctly, Atmos either "bounces of the ceiling" or is "direct" using ceiling speakers. But obviously cannot use "ceiling speakers." So, am I screwed by my room configuration :( or is there a way to incorporate Atmos? Many thanks!

Cheers, Emile :)