Opinions on compare between xover inductor components

jimjimbo

Soliciting some opinions on what folks might think about the comparison between the OEM 2.5mH inductor common to many of the Klipsch crossovers (such as the AA), and a much larger ERSE inductor such as this 16 AWG unit.    Just wondering.  https://www.parts-express.com/erse-super-q-25mh-16-awg-500w-inductor-crossover-coil--266-908

I did not do A/B tests but have used the Erse inductor in a brand new E crossover I built, including Jantzen Silver Z caps and auto transformers from Bob Crites. All worked well with good results. The inductor does take up some room!

Sorry, the crossovers with these inductors are in 1980 Heresy with all original drivers.

Edited by MC39693

On 1/26/2018 at 9:13 PM, jimjimbo said:

Soliciting some opinions on what folks might think about the comparison between the OEM 2.5mH inductor common to many of the Klipsch crossovers (such as the AA), and a much larger ERSE inductor ...

The Erse has lower DCR than the OEM part -- over an ohm. It's not much, but probably enough to hear. They sound different to me, but hey, I hear all kinds of weird shit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, avguytx said:

I've not personally done an audible comparison but I ordered the 18awg version of those. About half the price. I debated on the others but after comparing specs, just didn't think I'd tell much difference. 

2 hours ago, Deang said:

The Erse has lower DCR than the OEM part -- over an ohm. It's not much, but probably enough to hear. They sound different to me, buy hey, I hear all kinds of weird shit.

The Erse 16awg is almost half of the 18awg DCR, and (thanks Dean) also much lower than the OEM.  Yes, the 16 is twice the price at about $20, but maybe worth it.

Those are junk. I used to use those until they started showing up with loose windings, and I would have to tap them on the table to get the plates lined back up - so I could get the screws through the holes. The Erse coil is much better.

For what it’s worth, I did a lot of inductor testing on the Klipschorn a few months back (see my Klipschorn woofer & motorboard comparison post) and I can tell you that there are measuraeable differences. Whether anyone can hear theses differences is another matter. Clearly, large changes in inductor value ( of any inductor type) do make real differences both to the ear and in measurements. Of course, in the Klipschorn, these changes really require corresponding changes in the midrange network and integration as well in order to ensure any potential real “improvement.” Your individual room acoustics will have a real impact on this as well.

-BefuddledInMn

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Those are junk. I used to use those until they started showing up with loose windings, and I would have to tap them on the table to get the plates lined back up - so I could get the screws through the holes. The Erse coil is much better.

Good to know. Throwing away $15 to save $5 is bad economics.