Klipschorns For Sale

Evolvo

Hello,

Offering up a pair of horns.  The crossovers were just upgraded in the past week with the Crites Sonicap kit.  

The tweeters were also upgraded to the DE-120's. I have receipt for both.

They sound remarkably better than they did before the upgrades.  The tweeter is amazing. 

Speakers are in great condition with a few light dings on a few corners but nothing that really stands out. 

Speakers were manufactured 2 years apart and the finish is slightly discernibly different if they are right next to each other, but if they are in they're own corner it's hard to tell a difference as you can see in the pics. 

I have the original boxes, but they are broken apart so probably are'nt much use, but I have the internal packaging foam which protects them when moving if you decide to buy them. 

They are beautiful, sound excellent

Location - Grand Rapids, MI - Local Pickup Preferred at this point. 

Price - Reduced from $2,900 to $2600  IM me if interested.

20180127_181647.thumb.jpg.8a7af4238bffb954d78e89b4e43497d1.jpg

20180127_181656.thumb.jpg.a71ed9317f676770e016d9f22ed6cc21.jpg

20180127_181930.jpg

20180127_181740.jpg

20180119_012240.jpg

20180119_012311.jpg

20180125_003448.jpg

20180127_181950.jpg

• Like 1

These are a bit ersatz anyway -- they are not original "B" style K's, because the interiors of the top hats are plywood painted black and not veneered.  The top hats are probably not original, which throws off the appearance and dimensions of the tops in various subtle ways -- they just don't look "right."  Don't look like K-77's either.

Contrast with the fully-veneered tops in the other thread with the rosewood "B" K's, which were fully veneered throughout the top hats.

21 hours ago, LarryC said:

These are a bit ersatz anyway -- they are not original "B" style K's, because the interiors of the top hats are plywood painted black and not veneered.  The top hats are probably not original, which throws off the appearance and dimensions of the tops in various subtle ways -- they just don't look "right."  Don't look like K-77's either.

Contrast with the fully-veneered tops in the other thread with the rosewood "B" K's, which were fully veneered throughout the top hats.

My 1978 walnut-oiled B-style Klipschorns look the same as these -- painted black on the inside tops and sides.  One of theses is also 1978.  I do believe they are original "B-style."

On 1/27/2018 at 7:47 PM, wvu80 said:

Good pictures, good description, that always helps with a sale.  Location?

GLWYS

Sorry 

Grand Rapids, MI

Apologies for not responding sooner.  The forum was suppose to notify me of responses and I never received anything so didn't realize people had posted questions. 

On 1/28/2018 at 1:04 PM, Deang said:

Mismatched horns -- makes me wonder about the midrange drivers - one might be a K-55-V, the other a K-55-M. Just curious --

The mid range drivers are not mis-matched.  Both are K-55-V, It's just one of them doesn't have the klipsch badge on the back of the driver.  Klipsch would just take the Atlas PD-5VH driver and put their own badge and model number on it. One just doesn't have a badge on it.  Not sure if it fell off or klipsch just didn't start adding their own badge until 79 or something.  This was confirmed with Bob Crites.

On 1/28/2018 at 2:38 PM, Budman said:

76 (P ) and 78 ( S ) K-horns both came with K-55V's

EDIT - i see you mean they have the 400 and 401 horn

They do have different horns.  The only thing different on these speakers are the horns.  I also inquired with Bob on the horns and he stated the difference should not really be noticeable.  If it's thought that it is, then I would just buy matching horns.  In listening they both sound exactly the same, incredible.

8 minutes ago, Evolvo said:

The horns are not mis-matched. 

The drivers are the same, but the squawker horns do not match.  The third photo shows a 401 composite horn, whereas the fourth photo shows a 400 aluminum horn.  They should be indistinguishable sonically.

23 hours ago, LarryC said:

Don't look like K-77's either.

They aren’t K-77s, they’re Crites 120s.

On 1/28/2018 at 11:50 PM, LarryC said:

These are standard "B Style" Klipschorns sold during 1976 and 78, not sure what you mean by they are not original "B" style. One of the top hats has the same exact serial number as the bottom so it is original to the bass bin.  That top hat looks exactly like the other one, so not sure what you mean by don't look right.  Both tops look exactly the same. The insides look just like the other B Style Klipschorns posted in Eastern,MI, they are spray painted black on the inside as well.

They do not have K-77, they have DE-120 tweeters which sound way better than the K-77's.

Thanks for your info though. 

6 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The drivers are the same, but the squawker horns do not match.  The third photo shows a 401 composite horn, whereas the fourth photo shows a 400 aluminum horn.  They should be indistinguishable sonically.

They aren’t K-77s, they’re Crites 120s.

Sorry didn't mean to say horns, meant to say Midrange Driver.   Thanks for chiming in and adding a +1 to what Bob said as far as the horns not making a difference. 

Due to the various differences between the 2 speakers I will reduce price by $300 to $2600.  Both speakers look great and sound fantastic and with the recent upgrades someone's going to love them.  If you have a pair and haven't upgraded the tweeters and crossover I strongly recommend.  The difference is remarkable.