How Long?

iflog

I just wanted to make a post about my experience with Kilpsch speakers. Back in 1974 I was an audiophile looking for the best system I could put together. I went to my local speaker shop and heard the Cornwalls and Klipschorns. I loved them both but they were pretty expensive. I put a down payment on the Cornwalls hoping to pay them off eventually. Unfortunately I got into a really bad car accident soon after that put me in the hospital for a month. When I was released I got home only to find that my brother had paid off the speakers and put them in my house. I couldn't believe it. 44 years later they are still on the shelf where I have been listening to them daily and they still sound great. I am amazed that the cones on the sub-woofers haven't dry rotted and fallen apart. How long do these speaker last? It only goes to show the quality and craftsmanship of these speakers. Thank you Klipsch !!!

kl.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome.

The paper woofer cones with cloth surrounds last indefinitely.  They do not deteriorate like speakers with foam surrounds.  Some would suggest you rotate the woofers 180 degrees, others would say it’s unnecessary.  I’d do it: it couldn’t hurt.

The only refreshing that most would agree is due pertains to the capacitors in the balancing networks.  My recommendation is to contact Bob Crites @BEC for replacement capacitors.  Depending on your DIY abilities and motivation, Bob has a solution.

If you’d like more detailed suggestions, don’t hesitate to send a PM.

Nice room.  Nice brother.

Good point about paper cones.  On some modern woofers it is the artificial surrounds (foam and rubber) which deteriorate.  I suppose there are acid free paper which has lasted for centuries.  I think there have never been any papyrus woofer cones found, but you never know.  Smile. 

There is an interesting story about surrounds needing replacement.  Paul Voigt made theater horns in the 1940s (or so)  using a driver about 6 inches in diameter.  The surround was made of leather.   In more recent times a theater in was being refurbished and an example of such a unit was found.  Apparently it was semi-functional except that the surround was missing.  Rats had ate it.

Do termites eat paper speaker cones? 

WMcD

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Awesome rocking chair! I've been toying with the idea of replacing the folding camp chair I use for a dressing chair, with a stylin' rocking chair like yours, but I can't pry the  money from my wallet.

And of course, awesome speakers. I can't believe those shelves support all that weight.

• 4 years later...

Thought I would look around for another pair of Cornwalls and give these back to my brother. When I saw the price, $6500 I almost cried.I hope he doesn't want these back. LOL

btw. I put down $20 on mine and he paid the balance ($780). Yes, $800  for the pair.

• Like 1

Those were the days!  However, Klipsch woofers with the doped-paper surrounds do last indefinitely.  The dope is the black stuff that keeps the surrounds from drying out.  The woofers in my 1974 La Scalas have been happily making music for 48 years.  I did replace the tweeters and crossover capacitors, but that was it.

Also, welcome to the Forum!  Don't be a stranger!

• Like 1