Bad woofer or bad crossover? 88 la scala

Olomana

Aloha,

new guy. Finally able to get my dream speakers. Neighbor down the road sold his black fir La Scalas. 1988 with type AL crossovers. Looks stock with original wires.  Noticing one woofer not working. Haven’t gotten the courage to flip it and open the bottom. Do you think an old crossover is the cause?  Tweeter and mids seem fine and equivalent to the other side. 

Olomana

After Dean's suggestion, recommend  fully disconnecting the woofer connections from the barrier strip, and then get  a multimeter and take a reading in ohms across the red and black wires leading to the woofer.  if there is a small connector block inside the crossover/mid/tweeter cavity leading to the woofer, make sure that the connections there are good as well.  

Well it took me all day to find my volt meter and get it operational. Not sure what happened. But guess all that wire juggling fixed the woofer. Think I was getting something like 0.05-0.1 ohms.  When I fastened everything back up. Voila!  Thank you Deang and Jimjimbo. 

Now it it is time to decide which crossover to get.  ALK Engineering universal or the AL-3 from Crites. 

14 hours ago, dtr20 said:

As far as a klipsch stock style crossover, the type aa crossovers seem to be the most popular choice. Fwiw

Agree.

I've never heard the Type AL-3 but it has a reputation for being a good one.  I have owned Type AA in La Scala and Khorns.  It is a very smooth, very listenable crossover at all SPL levels. 

Good job of troubleshooting that woofer problem, and welcome to the Klipsch forums!

I was just going by the website at Crites saying the AL-3 was designed specifically for the La Scalas.  I am not sure if he meant the current version LSII or all stock LS speakers?  I thought I was seeing something about needing a new tweeter with a particular crossover.  I trying to avoid buying anything else at the moment, because I think my Jolida tube amp will need some work. 

I've tried reading some of the other threads about trying to compare the various LS crossovers and get confused about all the scientific jargon and numbers.

Guess I'll have to ask Bob what he recommend for my '88 LSs.

Mucho Mahalo

olomana

• Like 1

@schu

Depends on the age and quality of build.  I was getting ready to bite the bullet on some newly built ones from Crites, figuring they'll be well made and tested. 

Seems like it's hard to get people to compare the different crossovers since many have also altered the drivers and horns in their speakers. 

Also seems like I missed out on the travelling crossover deal where people could try out the crossover before purchasing one. 

I think I have the PM function turned on if you wanna send me some details and your asking price on them

olomana

1 hour ago, Olomana said:

Seems like I missed out on the travelling crossover deal where people could try out the crossover before purchasing one. 

I don’t think anyone ever did that except me - man, that was a long time ago. 

Schu has a pair built by me. Yeah, kind of expensive.

How big is your room, how close do you sit, what kind of music do you like - and how loud do you listen?

You can do Type A, Type AA, or AL-3. 

Bob provides the best overall value to performance ratio. 

1 minute ago, Deang said:

How big is your room, how close do you sit, what kind of music do you like - and how loud do you listen?

You can do Type A, Type AA, or AL-3. 

Dean, I'd like to hear your take on the three types above, based on the parameters you mention....

room is 8x12 but more of an alcove with the entire rear wall missing rather than a door.    I am about 8-10 feet away and the speaker are about 6 feet apart. 

I primarily listen to Jazz and classical.   But when the full moon is out, some U2 or Daft Punk might break through.

Volume  is on the low to low moderate side since I usually listen in the PM with family across the way in the TV room.

I used solder batteries and motors for my RC cars when I was a kid, but am no artist with the iron.

ps only a pair of LSs and no hearing aids (yet)

Edited by Olomana

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Dean, I'd like to hear your take on the three types above, based on the parameters you mention....

The Type A is 6dB/octave all the way around - it unloads a lot of power to the tweeter. It works great for low level listening, and/or smaller rooms. The sound is very crisp and dynamic. For my environment - it’s my favorite. 

The Type AA has a 18dB/octave tweeter filter, so less power is being delivered to the tweeter at any given volume level (when compared to the Type A). So, it’s a little more forgiving at live listening levels - and doesn’t stress the tweeter as much. 

The AL-3 is technically the correct filter for the OP,  but I don’t like it. In spite of the slope for the tweeter being pretty steep, there is an annoying siblance. The midrange is 12dB/octave, and isn’t as engaging until you throw some power into it. Don’t know - just never been much impressed with it in my rooms.