Tuba Home Theatre Low Profile...

SWL

Last night I freaked out my wife. My listening room is adjacent to the kitchen, about 25' away.

The TV was on and I had the stereo paused. I put on a 24hz test tone (because I knew what it was going to do) I unpaused the stereo and let that 24hz test tone do it's thing.

It was funny as hell. The dishes and glasses in the cabinets started rattling and she's like "what is that!? The glasses are going to break! Are you doing this?!!" LOL

She new she married a bass freak years ago.....but this bass freak is now revitalized. Our anniversary is next month. I hope. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm addicted. If I have a good year I might have to have you build me two more next winter. No clue where I'm gonna put em......

Actually, now that they're playing right I should revisit separating them again.

• Like 1

Well here's something very interesting. All the DR subs I've had in here, the bass has always been strongest just north of the sweet spot and still very strong in the sweet spot itself. Move over one seat south of the sweet spot and the bass would decline rapidly. Two seats south of the sweet spot and there was almost no bass at all.

Since dialing in the mini-dsp I've noticed how the bass was even in every seat. I finally decided to break out the spl meter and check all seating positions at 24hz up to 36hz. I was seeing all the readings damn near exactly the same with the sweet spot being about 1-2db less.

I'm so impressed with the Tuba/Mini-dsp combination. I was considering separating one of the Tubas moving the second one around the room for possible better coverage but it honestly isn't even necessary. As it stands I'm getting the benefits of corner loading and very good coverage throughout the room in every seat. I shouldn't leave out that the bass is not confined to just the listening room. It fills up the whole first floor. Very cool.

listen ur a big guy you can shoulder press those tubas 😀

go the extra mile and separate them and try again.  the larger the sweet spot the better

at worst they go back together at best its another evolutionary step, now that u touched the monolith 👨‍🚀

ive said many times ive put in prob 200hrs in my basement theater not bc im smart or good but simply on a quest to have it be perfect

because u have an open room the decay of the low end bass under 30 will be quick already whuch is often a stumbling block

i.e. u would need 50 bass traps in the concrete basement to speed the decay of 20 to 60hz

but upstairs with a roll off around 20 or 25 its likely perfect.

because u have open wall on one side...even though corner loading helps i would tend to say the bass will become better in the room placing them on the open side.  in a corner wall they get a ton of reenforcement which they dont need unless u run out of spl.  on the other side the bass escapes into the kitchen.  by putting one on the front wall on that side and one on the back wall, you create 2 point sources that provide the most bass ouput precisely where its the least by structural design.  it will bounce of the wall side with plenty of reflection and power.....so ime at a certain distance left of center looking forward....the positioning will be perfect.  just a few thoughts from my own experiences.  

I hear what your saying and I've done what you're talking about with DR subs. Every combination, xover point, phase etc. etc. It could sound pretty decent but never as good as my front right corner.

It was more practical with those subs in that they were only two feet tall. These Tubas go darn near all the way to the ceiling. So with the awesome results I'm getting now with output and close to perfect coverage, I'm gonna leave it the way it is and rock my balls off. There's always a compromise and this one is very little compared to others I've had to make.

One of these days I'll go all out and measure everything because I don't doubt the facts behind properly measuring a listening room. The thing that I DO doubt, is that once everything is 'theoretically correct', I'm still gonna want to change certain things to the way I want to hear it. I can almost guarantee that. I mean, my digital EQ that is taking care of my mains now......if anything was deviated from what it is now I almost certainly wouldn't prefer it. I've spent a considerable amount of time dialing in this room. About 16 years now and I almost know it like the back of my hand. I think.....[emoji6]

The way I want to hear it? I know a guy that is sensitive to deep bass. I know more than one guy that are sensitive to high-highs.....or can't hear them at all. I can't stand too much midrange. When it's turned up it sounds like it's BLARING. Maybe more so with Klipsch, I don't know.

So I tend to think that measuring one's room is probably more practical for bass but for the way I want to hear the rest of the spectrum it's gonna be to my preference. Sure, measuring the room's entire frequency range is a good benchmark to start with but to me it is certainly going to be tweaked after that. Am I wrong? I feel like in my room, I'm already there. [emoji4]55d120d2f3e1ae16fef7874ce79182c0.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...