Tuba Home Theatre Low Profile...

SWL

In a thread a few months ago, it was said that the nature of these cabinets even though you may have your crossover set to only have them go as high as say 30-40hz......they will still play up to 90hz. It's just the nature of the design.

Is there a way around this? Is there any way to keep these subs low passed below 60hz?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You probably explained that to me the last time we talked. I think the ability to adjust the slope goes right past me because I've never had any gear that allowed for it.

Ok, so my subwoofer controller.....a Paradigm X-30, has a low pass slope of 18db.

To get my Tubas to low pass at 60hz or lower..... how much of a slope do I need? 24db.....48db?

6 minutes ago, SWL said:

Ok, so my subwoofer controller.....a Paradigm X-30, has a low pass slope of 18db.

To get my Tubas to low pass at 60hz or lower..... how much of a slope do I need? 24db.....48db?

Without a frequency response graph its impossible to know.

Here's the thing. I refuse to high-pass my mains. The bass is just too good, especially right around 40hz.

All of the subs I've had prior, I could get away with this as long as they were cut off below 60hz or so. The Tubas have surprised me since day one that I can run them up to 110hz and it blends as good as it does.

The thing is, I normally listen at about 70-75db. Everything is fine at these lower volumes. I love it. Headroom, full tight and punchy. It's when I go north of 80db that it gets a little too bloated because of the blooming effect. Like I said before, in my room I can audibly solve this by cutting my subs off lower. It works.

After a few years of gradually upgrading and fixing my mains, they are finally firing on all cylinders and I feel the need to rip the knob off much more often. The amount of bass put out by the subs combined with the mains will break stuff in here at high volumes but it doesn't sound right at 90hz. I need to cut these subs off somewhere between 40 and 60hz.

I'll go with the mini dsp but I'm curious what other units are out there that have steeper slopes. I want to consider all options before I commit to something.

I get what you're saying and yeah, you gotta have some graphs to look at to really know what's going on.

It's possible that with my other subs it never was as good as I thought. I was a different type of listener then. It's just that these Tubas play so clean I'm curious to try it this way.

I have no intentions on cutting the nuts off these 30's though. The bass is THAT good.[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

My mains go down to 36hz and running the subs overlapped to somewhere between 40-60hz has worked well in my room. I just know that it will work even better with these Tubas.

Whatever blooming effect is happening at these lower frequencies has never seemed to be an issue. Besides I've read that you want some overlap anyway. However, any blooming going on upwards of 90hz is too noticable and it was like that with my DR subs usually degrading about 80hz on up.

Ok, I think I'm gonna order the mini dsp hd on Monday.

I was reading some people were using it with REW? I've never used REW or anything like it.

Jason, you didn't use REW with the mini dsp.....did you?

On 2/3/2018 at 7:36 AM, SWL said:

Ok, I think I'm gonna order the mini dsp hd on Monday.

I was reading some people were using it with REW? I've never used REW or anything like it.

Jason, you didn't use REW with the mini dsp.....did you?

REW is exactly what i used.

Am I correct in my thinking that the mini-dsp hd allows you to make real time adjustments on it's own and if you want to do room correction you need something like REW?

.......and as far as I know, REW is free and can be downloaded from the internet, correct?

Cool. My plan is to do a comparison.

First is to leave everything the way it is now and use the mini-dsp to adjust the slope to the subs do I can get them to play below where my mains roll off. For the last two years or so I've been using a DEQ2496 to EQ the mains and it works great.

Second, is to yank the DEQ2496 and use the full capabilities of the mini-dsp/REW combo and see which sounds better.

Should be fun. It's all very new to me.