KG 5.2 Upgrades?

SonicSeeker

I added the Crites diaphragms to my 5.5's and was pleased.  They are brighter than the stock diaphragms for sure.  But, the increased level of detail is impressive.  I've never tried the Crites crossovers though.  My next move with these will be to eventually upgrade to the RF-7 lineup.

11 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

I added the Crites diaphragms to my 5.5's and was pleased.  They are brighter than the stock diaphragms for sure.  But, the increased level of detail is impressive.  I've never tried the Crites crossovers though.  My next move with these will be to eventually upgrade to the RF-7 lineup.

I would go with this. I have the Ti diaghrams in my 5.5s and like them as well. I would focus on making sure you have a good DAC and amp before doing too much to the speakers though.

These were the only speakers that I wasn't tempted to putting the titanium tweeters in. I loved how natural the sound in the mid-range to high areas. It could have made them even better, but didn't feel the need. I ended up selling them to my cousin. They are pretty much the only speakers I have sold that I really miss. I ended up putting titanium tweeters in all of my klf speakers, kg5.5, forte II, chorus II, etc. Crites titanium tweeters are absolutely great, just didn't have the need for them on these. The downside to these, IMO, was a lack of bass because of the mid-range performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

I loved how natural the sound in the mid-range to high areas. It could have made them even better, but didn't feel the need. I ended up selling them to my cousinThe downside to these, IMO, was a lack of bass because of the mid-range performance.

Agree 100%, I actually liked the 5.2's more than the 5.5's for casual listening, thought the midrange was better, more balanced sounding overall. The 5.5's are better at high volume bass thumping though. A buddy of mine still has my old 5.2's.  

I wouldn't mess with them at all, unless they are starting to sound dull and then a recap since these are mid-90s speakers and the caps are now approaching their design limits.

IMO the KG 5.2's are the best of the KG line for listening to 2 channel.  Big fan of the whole KG line, and I've owned most of them.

Thank you for all of the replies.

I have owned so many Klipsch speakers, Belle's K-horns Cornwall's Heresy 1's II's III's Chorus II's RF-7II's and the list goes on and on but these are the first KG's, 150.00 for a like new pair from a wealthy owner in Vail, couldn't resist. I have them hooked to my Vinyl rig and they are very very enjoyable.

• 1 year later...

I happen to have a set of KG 5.2 as my main drivers with a set of KG 5.5 as the back half of a quadraphonic sound stage that still astonishes my ears every single time I turn it on to crank up some tunes!

I found the description between the 5.2 & the 5.5 to be somewhat along my line of thinking, except I always felt the 5.2 provide a much more accurate & clean bass sound, especially at lower levels. I attributed that to the passive radiator and lack of any ports. Being a HUGE audiophile, everything I own has a "good" stereo at the minimum, including every vehicle I own. One thing I discovered when playing around with the sound in my 1st minivan was that ported subs "wallowed" too much for me....to put it another way, they'd sound better to someone who liked techno or ***COUGH-COUGH***(C)rap as they'd resonate after the "event" in the music that drove them to that level...IF that makes any sense. When I put in a single 12" sub in an enclosed & sealed box, the "tightness" hard rock & heavy metal drums are known for sounded to be much better represented than they ever had been in the 3 prior sub boxes i tried, all of which were ported.

I will say one thing...my stereo & my speakers are going nowhere until after i'm dead & buried! My wife hates them......preferring I have small speakers like the ones I mounted in the ceiling of our screened in rear porch. I am running 4 Klipsch 6.5"  ceiling speakers I bought off of a guy who had no use for them and took $20.00 for the 4 of them. I have a small bluetooth capable Yamaha receiver to drive them and they're great for relaxing on the deck with neighbors, playing cards & knocking back some cold ones and also are plenty loud enough with some pretty respectable bass for tiny drivers for when I'm working on the pool or if it is REALLY hot out, I'm actually in the pool. Two years ago I removed all of the boards on the pool deck (920 square feet!) that sat flat and allowed water to lie on them....the deck is at least 40 years old, but I've been pressure washing it & resealing it every 2 years since i bought the house in '96.....the deck structurally is in excellent condition.....just the flat boards were really starting top look every bit of 40. I had that stereo cranking for the better part of 3 weeks, every day from 4:00 until 8-8:30 and I am thrilled I bought them.

I even have a separate stereo for my "man cave" though that's more for home theater than outright trying to drive my roof off of my house. Even with a set of Klipsch towers for the main speakers & Klipsch surrounds, a 12" Klipsch Sub on one side and a Polk 12" on the other (for a left/right field (channel) separation on the bottom end of the sound spectrum...and it does make a difference so long as your receiver will support a left & right sub) & a huge Klipsch center channel speaker I bought used for 1/4 of what it sold for new, that stereo just doesn't "move me" like my "main gun" upstairs with the 5.2 & 5.5 speakers. My personal feelings are it has to be in the surround receiver, even though it is a mid-range Yamaha. The only addition I haven't made (yet) are to mount a pair of speakers in the ceiling down there for ATMOS capability. I mean, the surround system sounds AMAZING when watching movies and such, but no matter what settings I try (including only running the 2 front tower speakers and shutting off all the others the music lacks...well..everything! 

I've gone to the trouble of wiring those speakers into my Yamaha A-S1100 that is the heart that drives the 4 KGs upstairs and the speakers aren't the issue....they sound fine when driven with a "clean" source...I guess I'll just have to live with what I've got in my man cave....though about the only time that stereo is asked to play any music is when I have friends over to shoot some straight pool (makes me sad..used to be able to find 2-3 straight pool tournaments per week as recent as 20 years ago, now the game is essentially dead, at least in this area, and I don't do 9 ball or even 8 ball UNLESS it is played under BCA rules)....

Just a point that might interest the guy who did all of those mods to his 5.5s.....what size speaker cable are you running? When I first bought this Yamaha integrated amp I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would have been as I'd previously been driving the 4 towers with an old Technics integrated amp with a lot less power..... then I measured the voltage at the back of the amp & again at the speakers...I was losing over 35% of my signal through the LONG runs of speaker cable I used. I was smart when I bought the house as I knew the 1st thing we'd likely do once we settled in was get rid of the 70's disco-tech multi-colored shag carpeting that was everywhere on our main floor. So I ripped it up myself, drilled 1" holes through the floors where the speakers were going to be and a number of 1" holes behind where the tv stand that held the amp would be. All of my wires run through the floor, into the basement & then back up to the speakers. I bought 120' of the best MONSTER cable I could find (the room my stereo is in is 36' x 16' so...lots of wire) and installed it. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! One would never believe the only thing changed was the speaker wires....I certainly couldn't believe the difference. I'm sure you're probably well past that point.....but it's worth a mention.