SOLD. FS: refurbished H/K 430

DizRotus

EDIT 02/01/18:   The 430 is now for sale outright, $300 shipped to 48 states.  Photos to follow.

My son uses a refurbished h/k 430 to power his Heresys.  As much as he likes the looks and sound of the h/k, he wants a more modern receiver, with remote, to play TV, games, etc. through the Heresys.

A capable technician referred to me by @Rivernuggets did the electronic refurbishing.  All lights and meters work.  The tuner and phono section work like new.  Used unrefreshed units fetch $150 on eBay.  IMO, as it is, it’s worth $300.

If anyone is interested in trading an AVR with remote, HDMI and Audyssey, for a classic Twin Powered receiver, please send a PM.   In the likely event a trade doesn’t work out, the outright sale of the receiver and a separate AVR purchase would be considered.  If you’re interested in either of those, please contact me.

• Like 2

Seems the AVR need has been solved.  Now a serious effort to put the h/k 430 into the hands of a knowledgeable enthusiast who will use and enjoy it.  Photos will be posted later today.  The asking price is now $300 shipped to 48 contiguous.

If you're not familiar with the h/k x30 series, do a search and prepare to be impressed.  They were originally brought to my attention by @HDBRbuilder.  I have owned and enjoyed several.  This forum's Bruce, @Marvel, bought one of my 430s.  Many here will sing the praises of the h/k x30s series Twin Powered receivers.  This very unit was in a blind test with a well restored Dynaco SCA-35 tube integrated.  My brother and his audiophile friend consistently preferred the h/k over the Dynacao.

CDFF8416-E2C7-40A3-B1D7-36DE9642B5A1.jpeg

619DC199-DAB8-49CB-AEE4-4034D4DFD739.jpeg

804906CE-5D82-49A6-9DF9-603FECBD1452.jpeg

• Like 2

These are awesome units from what everyone says. I'd love to just hear it. And I'm not surprised they weren't impressed with the Dynaco. I just heard a 70 for the first time, and wasn't impressed at all. My HH Scott 200, and my handmade 6L6 SET/SEP both smoke it. In fact my friend who sold me the Scott has a $2500 custom built Bob Latino ST 120 that sits in storage while he uses his Scott 222c instead, because it's just better. I know they an be modded, and the 70 was slightly as is the 120. But still. Not impressed. Maybe they both need tweaking, or different speakers. I dunno. I heard the 120 on Khorns, and the 70 on Jensen 700 XL's. For what it's worth. 

I wish I could say I was. I was planning on maybe stepping up to one of these someday. It just doesn't have any magic to my ears. Where the Scotts I've heard. And my handmade SET/SEP do. I'm guessing by how people talk about them that the Fisher's do too. And probably the Sherwood's also. 

That being said. I've heard these can be that way when properly tricked out. And maybe yours is. I don't know. But the one I've heard only had an upgrade to the printed circuit board I think. And was running winged c output tubes. That's about all I know on it. And run through vintage Jensen 700XL's which I went to look at with hopes of purchasing them. They sounded good. Did things right for the most part. But just nothing special. I passed on the speakers. 

I also listened to the same setup with a B&K SS amp on KLH model tens. This was actually much better. Not magical, but sort of special. Really got my foot tapping. I enjoyed that setup much more. Everything else was the same. Same Pre, and source etc. Even the speaker cables were the same in pretty sure. 

I'm really hoping I get a chance to hear another one in a different setup that changes my mind. The Dynaco is a true classic that I'm very enamored with. I love the looks. I love the history. The simplicity. The ability to tweak it etc. Just not that impressed with how it sounded unfortunately. 

Next time I get together with my friend at his house. I'm going to ask him to hook up the Bob Latino 120 he has, and really give it a good listen. His Khorns are a good match for that amp I would think. So it should give it a true fair shot. I know it's not an actual Dynaco, but should be even better I would think. Although I may be wrong on that, as I'm no expert for sure. 

This is a garage sale thread.  I’m trying to sell an excellent restored h/k 430 receiver to benefit my son.

The practical reality is that any reply bumps this thread to be seen by potential buyers.  Nonetheless, I respectfully suggest posts unrelated to the sale of this receiver belong in a different thread.

• Like 1

Well yea I always figure it helps too my friend. But I certainly don't have any problems respecting your wishes. I wish I was flush with cash. I've read more then one person say they thought this was the best twin powered H/K. 

Speaking of which. It wouldn't hurt to remind buyers that this is a very rare dual mono receiver. This really is a high end amp with a preamp, and tuner built in. And these are highly coveted by those that know them. And that these are known to be one of those magical pieces of gear that will make you stop in the middle of rocking out, because you're so amazed at how friggin good it sounds. I only buy gear like this, because I love that better then anything. Just being blown away at your own equipment. It makes you so happy you bought it. And makes you feel sorry for others that don't know that amazing feeling. 

Good luck with your sale my man. Someone is going to be very happy they purchased this. That's for sure. 

Andy B. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

An expert drunk?

I love my 730 and listen to it 5 days a week. Thanks to those who told me to give it a try. Sure wish that mine was restored like this one.

@Woofers and Tweeters

James, It takes a liver, and a kidney, to reach that level of "experience".

@Rivernuggets @DizRotus

Congrats

Seems like this item will fly nearly right over my head at some point, unless it goes ground around me.

5a77c4f5ee2f0_ScreenShot2018-02-04at9_41_25PM.thumb.png.db14ef0fb2b55caf532ef02de6eaaea5.png

• Haha 1

I have it in the first box.  Now I need to get a second box big enough to hold the first box plus some cushioning material.  I had a box in mind, but critters made it into a home inside the garage.  I’ll get a proper box tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I changed my mind.;)

I tested the unit to make certain everything works and that the pots aren't scratchy.  When Take Five poured from my DIY Super Heresys, I had second thoughts.  But seriously, I'm glad @Rivernuggets is getting this.  That is, if it doesn't fall into @Arrow#422's lap as it passes over Muskegon on its way from Detroit to Madison. 

In many ways, this sounds as good as, or better than, my TI TPA3118 class D "Wiener" amp in balanced mode from a Pono player.  I can't compare it to my class D TI TPA3255EVM, as it's in the process of being installed in a case.  By any measure, this receiver sounds very SWEET!

The double box issue is all but resolved.  This will be delivered to FedEx today.  A tracking number will be sent by PM.