HD closes KC manufacturing plant

richieb

On 6/30/2018 at 8:47 AM, John Warren said:

I just don't see the Millennials buying into this scenario.  The ones that have money that is. 

Some of us old codgers don't buy into it any more, either. I gave up riding a decade ago because I couldn't compete with drivers of Suburban Assault Vehicles just-missing me at 80 mph on the highway, while talking on a cell phone. I felt like I was in a giant pinball machine.

Young people can get all the thrills they need by playing games on their cell phones, with none of the risk to life and limb. Can we really blame them for preferring that?

• Like 2

They are in an odd position, famous for old fashioned style bikes that have a loyal and shrinking base and the younger market who are not keen on this style. New product lines are the only answer regardless of where they are produced.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:22 AM, Edgar said:

drivers of Suburban Assault Vehicles just-missing me at 80 mph on the highway, while talking on a cell phone. I felt like I was in a giant pinball machine.

I used to ride all of the time, before the phones could text... let alone connect to FB and other self centered sites, dating sites, youtube, audio forums and such. 

11 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I used to ride all of the time, before the phones could text... let alone connect to FB and other self centered sites, dating sites, youtube, audio forums and such. 

I rode street bikes for 40 years but no more.  Too many idiots on the road.  I've totaled several vehicles and none have been my fault.  Any one of those accidents would have killed me if I were on a bike.  After I totaled my daughter's car I sold my last bike.  If you're not comfortable riding a street bike you have no business on the road with one.

It sounds like the plan should be establish Harley Davidson Americana museums here and ship the coolness to Europe--That said, I imagine American motorcycles, speakers, and a considerable number of other things aren't as attractive now abroad as they were a few years ago. At least it appears North Korea will soon be getting a few McDonalds so that is some good news to consider on the 4th of July.  Happy Independence Day, all of my Klipsch friends. :) 

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I rode street bikes for 40 years but no more.  Too many idiots on the road.  I've totaled several vehicles and none have been my fault.  Any one of those accidents would have killed me if I were on a bike.  After I totaled my daughter's car I sold my last bike.  If you're not comfortable riding a street bike you have no business on the road with one.

I agree. I can't claim that I have stopped riding on the street, totally. I used to ride too aggressively on the street, so I took it to the track where I could push it a lot further in every way and be safer doing it. I still ride once in a while, but my alertness has changed. My family still ride. They agree that I was a lot safer on the track knee dragging and braking after jebus and when I seen Elvis than they are riding on the street. 

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I agree. I can't claim that I have stopped riding on the street, totally. I used to ride too aggressively on the street, so I took it to the track where I could push it a lot further in every way and be safer doing it. I still ride once in a while, but my alertness has changed. My family still ride. They agree that I was a lot safer on the track knee dragging and braking after jebus and when I seen Elvis than they are riding on the street. 

The track is safer than the street.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/30/2018 at 11:18 AM, Speed said:

3. "If" Harley moves overseas, ( I don't think they will ) I would assume it's been in the works for sometime.

They have had a plant in India for 10 years.

They announced goals about a decade ago that they wanted to increase international sales to be 50 percent of total sales.  Their international sakes have been creeping up, this has been critical to their overall strategy,

From recent 2017 annual report analysis (Marketwatch)

"Harley said it shipped 241,498 motorcycles globally, at the lower end of its guidance of 241,000 to 246,000 motorcycles it had expected. For 2018, Harley-Davidson expects to ship about 231,000 to 236,000 motorcycles globally.

Harley has said it aims to add two million new riders in the U.S. over the coming decade and boost its international business to 50% of its total annual volume from around 38%. The company also is working to expand its appeal to women, minorities, young adults and city dwellers.

As part of that effort, Harley-Davidson said it is on target to launch its first electric motorcycle within 18 months. Tuesday, the company said it would invest more aggressively in developing electric-biking technology.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Harley has said it aims to add two million new riders in the U.S. over the coming decade and boost its international business to 50% of its total annual volume from around 38%. The company also is working to expand its appeal to women, minorities, young adults and city dwellers.

As part of that effort, Harley-Davidson said it is on target to launch its first electric motorcycle within 18 months. Tuesday, the company said it would invest more aggressively in developing electric-biking technology

Those are great goals. If you own a Harley in Europe or Asia, that's very prestigious. I seen two Korean police officers on the side of the highway, watching traffic around 1987 just south of Seoul. It was so cool, I'm sure they were on top of the world. The only bikes we would see over there, were scooters...