HD closes KC manufacturing plant

richieb

16 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I always liked their Machine Minimum, Man Maximum philosophy.

I'm curious, is that your analysis, or was that official Honda Corp doctrine?

There is a lot to be learned by studying the highly successful companies like McDonalds, and Honda, both car and motorcycle.

I remember early in the '60's when a "real" motorcycle was a Harley, Indian, BSA or Triumph.  Those were the bikes of manly men and all the motorcycle companies made bikes to appeal to that narrow segment of the population.  Marlon Brando in "The Wild Bunch" was the American idea of what a motorcycle man was like.

Then along comes Honda with the Cub 50 and the slogan "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" and "It's not a motorcycle, it's a Honda."  Sochiro Honda famously said he didn't care if he ever sold a motorcycle to the 1% of the population that were motorcycle riders, he wanted to sell to the 99% who weren't.

Honda went on to totally dominate the motorcycle market the next 20 years having more sales than all the other manufacturers put together.  At one time Honda was actually the top two motorcycle sellers in the world, with new Honda's being the top seller, and the Honda 350 on the used market being the second largest.

I run my Klipsch for mains because of the way they sound.

I rode my Goldwings for their Performance.

I'm not a Bike Snob like many riders I met on the road.

I never had a Chase Vehicle.

Sure Heritage Speakers are made here.

Would you buy them if they were made in China

and were less expensive?

19 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I'm curious, is that your analysis, or was that official Honda Corp doctrine?

Not mine, it was the Honda Doctrine from the CEO of that division. Our sales rep. was Japanese, of course and he explained it to me. I remember the impression of greater roominess inside vs. the small exterior the first time I sat in our Accord test vehicle.  It kind of blew me away, to be honest. Machine Minimum, Man Maximum was real.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Not mine, it was the Honda Doctrine from the CEO of that division. Our sales rep. was Japanese, of course and he explained it to m

In late 70s their Sr. Engineer over R&D in Japan, Hiroo Watanabe, was trying to capitalize on the "Detroit problem" of sacrificing comfort for style.

He pictured a sphere, maximum room in smallest surface area.  His team coined the phrase, Max Man, Machine Min.  

He later came to US in the 80s as President of Honda R&D USA.

This was in a lot of textbooks at the time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I have always appreciated the Harley Davidson brand but it appears to be in some jeopardy now....

Less interest in that type bike from those that are actually able to afford one.  The generation that made HD boom is trading their bikes in for AARP cards. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Less interest in that type bike from those that are actually able to afford one.  The generation that made HD boom is trading their bikes in for AARP cards. 

And golf carts in Florida for the same price.

JJK

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I agree. I made a similar comment in another thread regarding speakers and feel the same is  true of Harley Davidson motorcycles (or bikes in general). 

Truth is, I think to drive a motorcycle in a major metropolitan area (like Boston) you have to have a big appetite for risk given that there's always a significant fraction of drivers that are either distracted with their cell phone, stoned because pot is legal, too old to be driving or inexperienced junior operators.  Then there's the potholes and overall poor condition of the roadway in the greater Boston area.  Then there's the high healthcare insurance deductibles companies offer today that can require the insured to cover up to $20K before the insurance "kicks" in making even a minor motorcycle accident (if there is such a thing) a bank breaker for many.  

Common motorcycle injuries seen in Boston City Hospital or MGH ERs are compound fractures of the ulna + radius and or femur plus extensive body trauma. Rehab can go on for years ending in limited or no use of the distressed limbs.  The insurance bill is around $140-160K plus lost time from work.    

I just don't see the Millennials buying into this scenario.  The ones that have money that is. 

• Like 2

On 6/28/2018 at 8:57 PM, Zen Traveler said:

Harley Davidson brand but it appears to be in some jeopardy now

Who would buy a Harley, not made in the U.S. ? Cars are different, they are practical, a necessity. Harley's are a choice, a lifestyle, an incredible  loyal base who's loyalists would rather not ride, than to ride something else.

1. Tariffs on imported Harley's would be passed on to the consumer in foreign lands, and gladly paid by perspective buyers.

2. The tax cuts they received this year, would offset any tariffs easily. 

3. "If" Harley moves overseas, ( I don't think they will ) I would assume it's been in the works for sometime.

4. Harley sales have been so good over the last 20 years, the used market is plentiful so you can get good deals on used bikes.  This puts a lot of downward pressure on new bike sales. With every boom, there is going to be a correction.

Just some random musings... 

With any luck and some rebranding their new Street line will take off. The large cruiser style bikes are not favoured by younger riders who prefer performance sport style bikes. Cruisers are better on highways than urban areas where most people live. The joke amongst some of the younger riders I know is, I’m not old and fat enough yet to ride a Harley. 

• Like 1

if they are going to produce in Europe then obviously the market there supports it.  I have it on personal information that Swedes actually prize the crap USA autos like Camaros and Mustangs.  Bmw and Mercedes make autos in the USA.  The main point is that idiots are making policy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

There are quite a few parts on Harleys that area made overseas, and have been that way for decades.

Yep, Anyone who knows about motorcycles would know this is true.

Harley and other brands out source from many places and many of

those parts make that bike better.

1 hour ago, rebuy said:

Yep, Anyone who knows about motorcycles would know this is true.

Harley and other brands out source from many places and many of

those parts make that bike better.

I've had that conversation with a few Harley riders over the years. After a few comments like "get that foreign piece of sh*t off the road". A couple times I showed the guy their Showa forks and shocks, or their Keihin carbs, or the foreign electronics. I don't mind their bikes, but the elitist attitude is what I didn't like.

• Like 3