Something wrong with my AL-3

shaftish

Hi, I need some help with my AL-3 filter. I was about to start a re cap when I found this one. What does it do and what happens with the sonic when it breaks? And we're can I buy a new one? 

All this started when I bought a pair of La Scala and when I hooked them up the tweeter was hardly making any sound in my right speaker. Normal output in my left. So I bought new caps and kind of getting started last night when I saw this problem. 

received_10155515104288090.jpeg

received_10155515110308090.jpeg

Did I understand you correctly here, you think that I can remove both the large brown and the small one with the tiny legs? 

I don't have k77 I use Eminence Ap-50 somehow similar to crites but with a different horn. A pair of k77 is on my wish list and maybe have a pair on it's way. I understand crites have better power handling and are okey with lower frequencies. 

How loud do you listen? As was mentioned, the K-77 is a bit fragile. If you want to listen at THX ref levels, you may want to have tweeter protection.

For the Eminence (I also have an APT-50 driver), you relly don't need the protection.

I didn't like the K-77 and replaced it with Bob's CT125, and later, with the same driver but with an Eminence horn (100x50) in a baffle placed on top of my LS so I could time align the mid/tweeter.

Bruce

I would prefer to keep them original. So I can fit whatever tweeter I feel like.
Or can I do a rebuild of an AA filter? Apparently they are quite popular.
This is my first pair of La Scala i own and even listened to. So I could use some guidance about how to do this the best way.

Skickat från min XT1635-02 via Tapatalk

I don't like the look when they on top of the speakers.
They have been working hard at a nightclub for several years.
Wrong bases and midhorns but that is corrected. Now their filter need some love. I thought it was the caps doing that right tweeter hardly sounded but it turned out to be the small one with the tiny legs that were the problem.

3 hours ago, shaftish said:

What is the difference between yours and mine? Except yours are more good looking mounted haha

If you unscrew your driver from the horn is it the same threading as your K-55 mid driver? The original from Eminence was made by a company in Poland. These drivers were the ones Bob Crites originally used. He had a horn made to fit the driver that mad it a ten minute job to swap out the K-77. Eminence started manufacturing them here with the standard 1 3/8" threading, but Bob says they didn't test/sound as good. Bob contacted the original company and now buys from them in Poland.

I had an original set of Bob's CT125s but sold them when I got the 100x50 horns and drivers. My 100x50 horn drivers were old enough they are still of Polish origin. I like them a lot.

They are rated at 45 watts, compared to the K-77 at 5 watts.

Bruce

I haven't heard a k77, should I even bother to get hold of a pair? The one thing I would like is to get my tweeters inside of the speakers.
I think that my APT-50 sounds really well. But as I said, I have nothing to compare with.
So how should I think in this. Filter and tweeters, which way is the the best way?

As with any audio product on this or any forum you are going to get multiple opinions on this subject. From everything I have read the K77 is an excellent sounding tweeter but delicate, hench reason for 3rd order filters and safety components to protect it. I do not think you would go wrong buying this crossover,
http://www.critesspeakers.com/bk-sound-type-a4500-crossov.html
 and either one of the aftermarket tweeters Bob sells, CT125 or CT120.
http://www.critesspeakers.com/new-tweeter-replacement-for.html  

I believe this to be one of the better aftermarket improvements with the tweeter inside the cabinet retaining the original appearance. That crossover network is a 1st order as with the type A crossover. Paul Klipsch considered a 1st order crossover best sounding with his horn speakers as I do. It is going to be hard to know who to believe when asking an opinion on a forum. Do some research yourself and go with your best information using your own reasoning. 

But getting back to your first post on this subject that big part of the 2 components you originally asked about is a power resistor which I am almost sure is still good. Easy to check with an ohm meter but I do not know any circumstance where a 25 watt resistor in a crossover network would burn out. You could just replace the polyswitch with the one I mentioned at Parts express and be good to go. Right now the tweeter section is being attenuated with a 100 ohm resistor, hench practically no sound from the tweeter. With the polyswitch in parallel with the resistor electrons (sound) is going to take the point of least resistance and go through the polyswitch vs the resistor. As I and many others have said we think you would be perfectly fine just removing the resistor and burned out polyswitch and just soldering in a piece of wire. Both the resistor and polyswitch are there to cover Klipsch a** from burned out tweeters from crazy people abusing the speaker. Under any reasonable sound level and above the original stock tweeter would be fine. 
Thank you for your answer!
If I keep under rated 100w can I still use k77 without the resistor?

I have been looking at ALK Eliptrac HF HORN with B&C DE120 driver.
http://www.alkeng.com/trachorn.html#tweeter
Any experience in that tweeter?