CF-4 Incoming!

vasubandu

10 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

It's called a white van sale. Steer clear of them but that's just my opinion

In what sense?  I mean I get the white van thing, but is the have LaScala with tags that match, it would seem to be real. She is selling it on Maui, which is a very limited market. I don't know enough to think one way or the other yet, but I have not seen any red flags.

5 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

You are way too easy on them. Bust their balls! Tell them the speakers are on a couple different sites, the story of the ports doesn't add up, cut the sh*t. I deal with scammers all the time, flip it onto them. Tell them you will pay by check or better yet PP after you see a bill of lading and pics of the speakers as they are being packed. have them invoice you thru PP as a sale, not friends or family. If you pay as friends or family, kiss your money goodbye, at least as a sale you can have some protection

Where would be the fun in that?  When someone is lying to me, my instinct is not pounce, but to feed them rope and make them do some work. They are not getting any of my money without absolute proof, so it costs me nothing but few seconds of my time.  As a lawyer, I would never call someone on a lie before I had committed them to every which way, and had cut off all avenues of escape.  This may end up in some kind of reporting, and I want solid proof.  

4 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Where would be the fun in that?  When someone is lying to me, my instinct is not pounce, but to feed them rope and make them do some work. They are not getting any of my money without absolute proof, so it costs me nothing but few seconds of my time.  As a lawyer, I would never call someone on a lie before I had committed them to every which way, and had cut off all avenues of escape.  This may end up in some kind of reporting, and I want solid proof.  

You're repeating yourself, I got it the 1st time LOL

Mark

2 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

but I have not seen any red flags.

Those speakers weigh 125 lbs each.  I wondered about the cost of air freighting at least 250 lbs plus the cost of putting them on a pallet for shipping.

A total cost of $1125 air freighted from Hawaii seems awfully cheap and I've never seen any Klipsch speakers sold here that came from HI.

It does not mean the deal is not legit.  It just means I haven't seen it.

9 minutes ago, Arrow#422 said:

Keep us posted on those Hawaiian LaScalas.

You are well positioned logistically to make them yours - should the components check out.

And for that I am really going to lean on you guys if we get to that point, because it is totally foreign territory.

1 minute ago, vasubandu said:

As a lawyer you should have seen a lot of shit. Out of state scams can be reported to who, and they won't care. 

Mark

2 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I wasn't referring to the LASCALAS, just a general warning, I haven't seen anyone tell you yet.

Sorry for the confusion

Actually quite a few generous people have gone out of their way to share some of the ins and outs of buying audio stuff, particularly used. When I started, it never would have occurred to me to examine the parts, and even now I cannot evaluate all of them. But it always helps to be reminded, especially when I let my excitement get my guard down. I have picked up several things from members here, and I did not ask a question, nor did I need to. It was all perfect.

5 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I get scammers all the time. They want me to teach their children 2-4 hours a day, 3 days a week, for 2-4 months. I can quote them anything, usually between 15 and 35K.They are good with it, they will pay with credit card and ask for more $$$. Give the change to the limo driver in cash when he brings the kids out. OK, all day. The card is good because it feed off other cards on down the line. Last guy was in for 35K BUT with a twist. His limo driver don't take credit cards, could he make it for 50K and I could give 15K to the driver for his time? OH OK, I'll bite. I'll invoice you thru PP and you can pay me plus 3% fees and another 10% for being a pain in my ***.That ended it

Mark

6 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Actually quite a few generous people have gone out of their way to share some of the ins and outs of buying audio stuff, particularly used. When I started, it never would have occurred to me to examine the parts, and even now I cannot evaluate all of them. But it always helps to be reminded, especially when I let my excitement get my guard down. I have picked up several things from members here, and I did not ask a question, nor did I need to. It was all perfect.

I've been lucky, most of the members have been great. The 73 Khorns I bought @opusk2k9 Brandon probably drove an hour to check them out for me. He brought all the meters, I brought a receiver and power converter. They were in a storage place, sorry no power. B whips out the meters, I pop the hood, pull out the converter and receiver. I was sick, I sold my Belles the day before and these looked awful. Everything tested out fine and they sounded good, but the price dropped a tad. Ask Opus to put it on his radar, he wrote a program for CL that gets everything. He has helped a lot of members out.

AND BE PATIENT!!!

Mark

17 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Those speakers weigh 125 lbs each. 

Actually when I checked online, it said that the are 24.2x25.2x25.5 inches and weigh 175.5 pounds.  So I got an estimate with 25x26x40 and 185 pounds from Hawaiian Air. $600 for priority and $373 for normal.  Hell of a deal but a direct flight.  Now I just have to make sure they are what they say they are. And that they will bundle them up and take them to the airport. But given the reverence that people have for LaScala it seems like it would be awesome.  

JetExpressFastest
PriorityFaster
GeneralFast
OGG to SEA

Freight of all kind

Not Applicable

Service Details Edit

SERVICE

Priority
OGG to SEA

Estimated Gross Weight
370.00 lbs
Estimated DIM Weight
269.00 lbs
Estimated Chargeable Weight
370.00 lbs

SURCHARGES

Security
Fuel Surcharge
  • * For large shipments, or for special requests, please call 1-877-HA-CARGO.
  • ** If your cargo weighs 16 ounces or more, and you are shipping to/from the U.S. Mainland, you must be a known shipper or other TSA-approved entity.

17 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I get scammers all the time. They want me to teach their children 2-4 hours a day, 3 days a week, for 2-4 months. I can quote them anything, usually between 15 and 35K.They are good with it, they will pay with credit card and ask for more $$$. Give the change to the limo driver in cash when he brings the kids out. OK, all day. The card is good because it feed off other cards on down the line. Last guy was in for 35K BUT with a twist. His limo driver don't take credit cards, could he make it for 50K and I could give 15K to the driver for his time? OH OK, I'll bite. I'll invoice you thru PP and you can pay me plus 3% fees and another 10% for being a pain in my ***.That ended it

And the sad reality is that there just is not anything you can do about it except to move on. Our legal and criminal systems won't lift a finger for you, and your problem is too small for any lawyer to take because everything legal is so ridiculously expensive. So you just have to protect yourself and never get too far ahead with anyone.  Stories like yours make me so mad because there ought to be a way for you to get justice.

14 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Actually when I checked online, it said that the are 24.2x25.2x25.5 inches and weigh 175.5 pounds.

I have an official scale to measure weight;  my back!  :lol:

I owned La Scalas and Khorns and had to move both around.  You'll find the Khorns are 175 pounds each and the LS are 125 pounds each (LS listed in this link as 110, but close enough for road work)

http://images.klipsch.com/Spec_780200_LS_635164929720052000.pdf

Don't forget to double the weight as you will be shipping a pair. 

EDIT:  I see the weight now, you estimated correctly for two pieces.  I couldn't see the details of your screen shot while using the Forum's Dark Theme.

And when you get them, watch that back !  B)

1 minute ago, vasubandu said:

I hope the dimensions are right, but if I make them 132 pounds each, then I could ship the pair from Maui for $266.64.  So that would be a pair of La Scala for $966.64 all in.  I am starting to get excited about this.

Our posts "passed" each other but you'll find the lower weight is correct.

Where I live it would cost $300 easy to truck those things across town by truck.  To air freight them at the price you listed is a bargain!

But seriously, a surcharge of $37 for "security" and another $110 "fuel charge" totalling an extra $148 added to the basic shipping cost?  Give me a break, airlines!

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

But seriously, a surcharge of $37 for "security" and another $110 "fuel charge" totalling an extra $148 added to the basic shipping cost?  Give me a break, airlines!

Actually those are included in the cost.  It is just crazy.  And other airlines were closer to $500.  But it is basically a seat in the cargo hold.  I just found a company on Maui that wraps and ships souvenirs and things bigger than this for tourists, so if I can use them, I won't have to ask the sellers to box them up and take them to the airport.  Plus I should get really good packaging. She said she would send me pictures tonight but they are two hours earlier than pacific.

This could really work out for you.  A lot of people like or don't like various speakers but the La Scala has a big sound most people like and the price delivered to your door is a bargain, win-win. 

Is your wife on board with you purchasing speakers this big?  My wife wasn't and liked it even less when I brought the Khorns home, necessitating the premature departure of both.  :(

27 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

And the sad reality is that there just is not anything you can do about it except to move on. Our legal and criminal systems won't lift a finger for you, and your problem is too small for any lawyer to take because everything legal is so ridiculously expensive. So you just have to protect yourself and never get too far ahead with anyone.  Stories like yours make me so mad because there ought to be a way for you to get justice.

Justice? I have never been taken, I make it a game now. That's my justice, f*cking with them. What amazes me is I have to tell people in my business that it's a scam, they are either young, stupid, or IDK what. 

My banker told me that if the money actually cleared, I could probably keep it, BUT I need to look at myself in the morning

Mark

I've got a brand new pair of 84th Anniversary Klipschorns in Foolswood finish that have never been opened. Distress sale for $2400 delivered. My Paypal account # is BR549. Might entertain lowball offers.

• Haha 2