CF-4 Incoming!

vasubandu

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I don't know if it's a scam. 

Oh it is a scam. The pictures were lifted from a 2016 listing by an established and reputable dealer in Omaha as @The History Kid pointed out.  He has no CF-4, and I sent him a message about this.  Exact same pictures.  These people are in California.  I sent a message to the Omaha dealer.  And the 2016 listing just called it version 1, so no need for new ports. I just reached so far and wide that I attracted the attention of the scammers.  If only that South Dakota kid would have shipped or I had a few more days to get my Indian chief friend to buy them for me.  But you know what? Sometimes it is the chase and not the prize.  And there are always more deals tomorrow, so there is no room for bitterness or regrets over the ones that are lost. Besides, I am working on a gorgeous set of LaScala from Hawaii for $1,150 delivered.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Oh it is a scam.

. Besides, I am working on a gorgeous set of LaScala from Hawaii for $1,150 delivered.

I saw the @The History Kid links after I replied.  The group process works.  Someone might get by one of us, but not all of us, we are always looking out for one another.

+++

A pair of nice La Scala's from anywhere for $1150 is a good price!

Do you have pictures, or any other information such as S/N?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Do you have pictures, or any other information such as S/N?

I heard back from the wife of the seller, and she said that she would talk to her husband about boxing them up and taking them to the airport.  They live on Maui, so in my response I included the picture that is my profile picture. My wife took it of my sons and me at the top of Mount Haleakala, which is the main volcano on Maui.  Best picture anyone ever took of me, so I still use it 10 years later.  I also told her that my wife grew up in Hilo, which cannot hurt.  They sure look beautiful.  I asked he for pictures of the back labels and she said she would send them.  I will post here when I get them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Kind of odd someone would go through the trouble to scam using CF-4 version 1's and call them version 2's as the bait.

The whole thing was strange.  Most scammers will try to sell you $1000 speakers for $200 knowing someone will take them fast before someone else does.  This scammer asked fair market value, I guess to perpetuate the idea that he is selling at a legit price.

If I were to continue with this Seller I would ask for a picture of both labels with the date stamp showing today's date.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

The whole thing was strange.  Most scammers will try to sell you $1000 speakers for $200 knowing someone will take them fast before someone else does.

If I were to continue with this Seller I would ask for a picture of both labels with the date stamp showing today's date.

Yes and i still don't understand finding the photos from a different advert from a different time. Doesn't that mean they were sold and maybe made their way to California now?  It's worth at least asking more questions and photo proof and asking if he will do paypal transaction. 

1 minute ago, Maximus89 said:

Yes and i still don't understand finding the photos from a different advert from a different time. Doesn't that mean they were sold and maybe made their way to California now?

I sold some speakers where I took new pictures and also used pictures from the previous seller because his pics were better than mine. 

I certainly agree one would have to properly vette the Seller with at least one phone call, and then as you said pay the extra PayPal fee to make sure there was some insurance on the transaction.

It pays to be skeptical.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

a picture of both labels with the date stamp showing today's date

I can change my camera date to anything I want to. Back in the day the deal was to take a photo with a current newspaper; yes, a newspaper, remember those?

Yea, I know you would have to actually have the item to photograph with a manipulated date...or photo shop

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I can change my camera date to anything I want to. Back in the day the deal was to take a photo with a current newspaper; yes, a newspaper, remember those?

What your previous job, professional kidnapper?  :lol:

YES I remember newspapers (back when they had real news and good funny papers) but NO I don't remember buying anything where the current newspaper had to be in the picture along with the item!

Seriously, did you do that?  Someone would have had to get a camera with some film (remember film?), go have it developed at the drug store where they would send it off somewhere to get it processed and get it back a week later, then get it to you somehow, I presume by mail. 

Maybe I just grew up being too trusting of strangers?  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I don't know if it's a scam.  The Seller could have done this day 1 if he wanted.  You might be right, I just don't know.

My observation from the sn is the speakers were born on day 284, 1994.  That and the gray horn (tough to tell from pics, but that is what mine looks like) tells me those are version 1.  The seller says he has the original 2.5" ports, and that is version 2.

Doc, that's what I thought CF-4s with 2.5 inch ports? Replacing 4.5 inch ports? I always thought mine measured 5. (My ports, you sick bastards)

I was so hoping that it was real until I got past the title. Then I knew you were F*CKED. Did you see the listing for the CHORUS 2s I tagged you on?

Ah well, another day, another 30 posts coming

Mark

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Yes and i still don't understand finding the photos from a different advert from a different time. Doesn't that mean they were sold and maybe made their way to California now?  It's worth at least asking more questions and photo proof and asking if he will do paypal transaction. 

Download any picture and repost it

Mark

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

What your previous job, professional kidnapper?  :lol:

YES I remember newspapers (back when they had real news and good funny papers) but NO I don't remember buying anything where the current newspaper had to be in the picture along with the item!

Seriously, did you do that?  Someone would have had to get a camera with some film (remember film?), go have it developed at the drug store where they would send it off somewhere to get it processed and get it back a week later, then get it to you somehow, I presume by mail. 

Maybe I just grew up being too trusting of strangers?  :rolleyes:

You are from WV

Mark

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Yea, I know you would have to actually have the item to photograph with a manipulated date...or photo shop

You would write it on a piece of paper or something. Not the exif data or the date stamp on older cameras you would see

1 hour ago, Maximus89 said:

Kind of odd someone would go through the trouble to scam using CF-4 version 1's and call them version 2's as the bait.

Just one of many oddities.  Whoever they are, they came across one of my posts saying that I really wanted a pair of CF-4 and would pay market value.  So no need to discount them too much.  $815 including shipping is $200 or more below market, so cheap enough to excite someone like me.  Why raise suspicions with a price that is too low.  I understand why people might use pictures from the purchase, but these were listed a year and a half ago for $995 plus shipping.  How does that convert to $815 including shipping. They were listed on usaudiomart.com, and the most recent sales on that site are $995 (11/16) $950 (10/16), and $775 (7/15), all plus shipping.  These picture are from the $995 sale.  If they bought them off usaudiomart, why not sell them there?  They were not listed.  The only way the pictures would be real is is they bought them off usaudiomart.

The seller has since given me a number, (530) 212-0573.  That traces to a landline in Winters, California, which is promising.  Have not yet attached a name to it. There are Katherin Stovalls in the area.

Just got a note from the guy who sold them on usaudiomart: No I sold these to a guy in Kansas he drove up and picked the up.

And now I just got an email from the seller asking if I had received the emails that were sent, and this was my response.

I have received them, and I have to ask you a question that make me uncomfortable. The guys I rely on at the Klipsch forum have told me that they think this is a scam.  Please don’t take that the wrong way, but I have lost too much money buying speakers from strangers to ignore them. They said that the pictures you sent me are the same as the ones from a 2016 add on audiomart.com and that payment with Walmart is the same as sending cash with no guarantees.  I have no reason not to trust you, but I am sure that you understand that it makes sense to be careful. Could you maybe give me some more information to understand this? Pictures of the shorter port tubs so I can see about installing them. Again, please don’t take this the wrong way, just being prudent.

Now I am being too much the lawyer here, but the way I see it,  is this is a scam, then she does not have the speakers, and if she does not have the speakers, she certainly does not have the 2.5 inch ports.  And just how is she going to find a picture to send me?  On the other hand, if she send a picture and Google image search does not find a duplicate then it gets interesting.  I'll post anything I get for your amusement.

7 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Just one of many oddities.  Whoever they are, they came across one of my posts saying that I really wanted a pair of CF-4 and would pay market value.  So no need to discount them too much.  $815 including shipping is $200 or more below market, so cheap enough to excite someone like me.  Why raise suspicions with a price that is too low.  I understand why people might use pictures from the purchase, but these were listed a year and a half ago for $995 plus shipping.  How does that convert to $815 including shipping. They were listed on usaudiomart.com, and the most recent sales on that site are $995 (11/16) $950 (10/16), and $775 (7/15), all plus shipping.  These picture are from the $995 sale.  If they bought them off usaudiomart, why not sell them there?  They were not listed.  The only way the pictures would be real is is they bought them off usaudiomart.

The seller has since given me a number, (530) 212-0573.  That traces to a landline in Winters, California, which is promising.  Have not yet attached a name to it. There are Katherin Stovalls in the area.

Just got a note from the guy who sold them on usaudiomart: No I sold these to a guy in Kansas he drove up and picked the up.

And now I just got an email from the seller asking if I had received the emails that were sent, and this was my response.

I have received them, and I have to ask you a question that make me uncomfortable. The guys I rely on at the Klipsch forum have told me that they think this is a scam.  Please don’t take that the wrong way, but I have lost too much money buying speakers from strangers to ignore them. They said that the pictures you sent me are the same as the ones from a 2016 add on audiomart.com and that payment with Walmart is the same as sending cash with no guarantees.  I have no reason not to trust you, but I am sure that you understand that it makes sense to be careful. Could you maybe give me some more information to understand this? Pictures of the shorter port tubs so I can see about installing them. Again, please don’t take this the wrong way, just being prudent.

Now I am being too much the lawyer here, but the way I see it,  is this is a scam, then she does not have the speakers, and if she does not have the speakers, she certainly does not have the 2.5 inch ports.  And just how is she going to find a picture to send me?  On the other hand, if she send a picture and Google image search does not find a duplicate then it gets interesting.  I'll post anything I get for your amusement.

You are way too easy on them. Bust their balls! Tell them the speakers are on a couple different sites, the story of the ports doesn't add up, cut the sh*t. I deal with scammers all the time, flip it onto them. Tell them you will pay by check or better yet PP after you see a bill of lading and pics of the speakers as they are being packed. have them invoice you thru PP as a sale, not friends or family. If you pay as friends or family, kiss your money goodbye, at least as a sale you can have some protection

Mark

12 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I did and then those $700 LaScala in Hawaii got in the way. Those and the whole JTR Speakers lineup.

Keep us posted on those Hawaiian LaScalas.

You are well positioned logistically to make them yours - should the components check out.