K-horn Conversion to LaScala

Forte Too

Last month my hanger flooded, and with it I lost my K-horns.  The insurance company (travelers) is giving me $400 for the K-horns.  Yep, that's it.  The cabinets are JUNK, but the components are  good.  In fact, last year Bob Crites redid the crossovers and I replaced the K-77 with his horns.  Anyway, I have some great components now that need a new cabinet.  Sad thing is Hope is 60 miles to my north.  Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has ever done a K-horn to LaScala conversion?  If I am going to have to build new cabinets, the LaScala or Belle cabinets would fit my lifestyle better.  What are the differences in the components?  I know the crossovers are different, but how much different?  Am I crazy for thinking this?  I don't have room for the K-horns in my current house, which is why they were in the hanger.  Heck what about going to a Cornwall cabinet???? 

52 minutes ago, Forte Too said:

Last month my hanger flooded, and with it I lost my K-horns.  The insurance company (travelers) is giving me $400 for the K-horns. 

What??? File a protest!

I'll send you a Heritage Price spreadsheet with historical sale prices on Khorns.  Khorns with Type AA XO's go for $2000 all day long.  Tell Travelers you can have an expert (me) certify the current value of your Khorns.  I'll send you a notarized valuation.

The worst they can do is say no.

Check your PM in a couple of minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

What??? File a protest!

I'll send you a Heritage Price spreadsheet with historical sale prices on Khorns.  Khorns with Type AA XO's go for $2000 all day long.  Tell Travelers you can have an expert (me) certify the current value of your Khorns.  I'll send you a notarized valuation.

The worst they can do is say no.

Check your PM in a couple of minutes.

The issue is that the policy is depreciated value, not replacement.  Every other policy I have is replacement value.  Unfortunately, my partner did this policy.  I may give it a shot though.

Just now, Forte Too said:

The issue is that the policy is depreciated value, not replacement.  Every other policy I have is replacement value.  Unfortunately, my partner did this policy.  I may give it a shot though.

Sure, that was my guess as well.  Their problem is the CURRENT value has appreciated, not depreciated.  The replacement value new is $12,000.

You will have current values listed for the last couple of years Khorns, well documented.  Good luck.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Forte Too said:

The issue is that the policy is depreciated value, not replacement.

The values Dave, @wvu80, is referring to are depreciated.  Replacement would buy new Klipschorns.  On the day they were flooded, your Klipschorns were worth ~$2,000.  

The issue gets complicated by salvage value.  If your carrier agreed to pay a claim for $2,000, they would own the components.  They, apparently, didn’t demand the damaged Khorns in exchange for paying $400, but they would be more likely to claim them for salvage if you persuade them they’re worth 5 times what they offered.

Give it a shot.  Dave will hold the ☂.

FWIW, some years ago I sold a single empty Khorn cabinet for $175 to a guy in Belgium.  He paid to have it shipped to Belgium.      Your empty cabinets were worth $400.  Be careful arguing that, as it telegraphs the value of the components.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Forte Too said:

Dont sign anything. Tell them its unacceptable and show them prices for used K horns in a 500 mile radius.  Who are they using to give you an ACV value on the speakers?  Trust me, hold out, the longer it goes the more desperate they will be wanting off the books.  No one will come pick up them up when you get more money, I promise.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Forte Too said:

I lost my Khorns and Belle in a flood. The policy was at replacement value. I gave them retail of 15,500 and said I wasn't asking for that. I told them what I paid and they reimbursed me. 

Mark

6 minutes ago, Max2 said:

No one will come pick up them up when you get more money, I promise.  

Max2 is probably correct, but don’t bet on it.  In my business, a customer’s essentially brand new $4,000 Sony flat screen was scratched.  The scratch was noticeable when the TV was off, but virtually disappeared when the set was on.  I paid the $250 deductible and our customer was able to purchase a new LG that he liked better than the Sony. 

I asked the insurance adjuster what was to become of the TV.  At first she said our customer could keep the damaged TV.  I made the mistake of saying that, after paying the deductible, I had more right to it than my customer, who had been made whole.  Expressing the slightest interest caused the adjuster to suddenly see salvage value.  She decided the scratched TV was worth $400. Two guys in a van drove 2 hrs each way to collect the TV in its original carton.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Forte Too said:

Last month my hanger flooded, and with it I lost my K-horns.

I have  to ask, when you say hanger do you mean like an airplane hanger or big open space ? If so were the khorns playing to a large open space ?

If so and you considered a LaScala or Cornwall I just had an idea if it's is a big space.

Like everyone said try to get a better deal from the insurance company.

dtel -

I ran out of room, so I put them in the hanger.  I did have some false walls built for them though.  They were a little echo-ish.  I ran them on a Marantz 2330B.  The LaScala would fit in my home office or my office, same for the Cornwall.  I just don't see another pair of K-horns in my future for a while.  I need to take the K-22 out of the bottom cabinet before it starts to rust from the humidity.  The top has enough air circulating that I'm not worried. 

9 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Well, maybe I didn't post it.  Here it is: https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/d/many-pairs-of-vintage-speaker/6459248946.html

No affiliation.  I wouldn't mind having a pair of the La Scala cabinets myself, but I have no way to haul them.  I'd swear I posted this here somewhere....

Thanks!!  I sent him an email.  I'll let you know what he says.