K-horn Conversion to LaScala

Forte Too

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Forte Too said:

LaScala would fit in my home office or my office, same for the Cornwall. 

Oh OK I thought they were intended to be in the hanger, better if you can get them where you can listen more even better.

What I was going to suggest was if in a big open space like a hanger, size wouldn't be a problem and  much bigger sound/bass could have helped. The top half of a Khorn or LaScala with AA crossovers match well with the bass bin of a mwm. I use this for outside. Split LaScala diy top with a factory mwm bass bin, same top sound as a LaScala but with much more bass than a LaScala. It can fill a big space, if it can fill acres here it could do a hanger.

Plus there is someone here giving away the bass bins free, I think he still has them( Coytee ). This would have been a "hanger" setup that would have sounded good, almost free, with your drivers and crossovers.

Now the bins were double bins, I use a single on each side. If you did that and wanted to use a double on each side you would have needed to get 2 more woofers and have someone here to explain how to wire that to still use the AA crossover, I think it still could be done.

I had 2 single mwm bass bins extra, it's how I ended up with this combination, got a pair of crites tweets and 2 K400 horns from Klipsch and some rebuilt AA crossovers, the crossover point worked, sounds like a LaScala with a good bit more and bigger bass.

Sorry to hear about your Khorns, insurance companies have no idea what they are worth, or don't want to know. Good luck

18 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Sure, that was my guess as well.  Their problem is the CURRENT value has appreciated, not depreciated.  The replacement value new is $12,000.

You will have current values listed for the last couple of years Khorns, well documented.  Good luck.

I tried explaining this to an insurance agent for maybe 1/2 hour once.  We went 'round and 'round.  My arguments included, "If we were talking about a painting, you would grant that it could appreciate, wouldn't you?"  I hadn't suffered a loss, just was looking to take out a policy.  I ended up with another company, who had no problem with the concept.

I would think you could argue that depreciation-free value (i.e. lowest available -- floating -- appreciated value) would be the average used selling price of Khorns of that vintage, perhaps ~~~ $ $2,000 +/-, as wvu80 suggested. ..... Replacement value would be much, much more.

• Like 1

In insurance speak "Replacement" generally means a new replacement.  Polices that don't stipulate "replacement" pay the value of the not-new item.  The value of your non-new item is what it is worth as a used item , which is, essentially, the cost to buy another, or to replace it.  Whether the used price has depreciated or appreciated is irrelevant, so long as the cost to replace a used item with another used item of similar value is less than the cost of a new item.  Don't fixate on the terms, "appreciate," "depreciate," and/or "replacement."  

The premiums on a replacement policy are greater than a standard policy, as the exposure is greater.  Theoretically, all insurance is to replace your loss.  A "replacement" policy replaces with brand new.  A non-replacement policy reimburses your the value of you lost item, i.e., the cost to buy a similar used item of similar value.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:57 PM, Forte Too said:

OK.   Thanks.  Now where to find LaScala cabinets?????

Personally, I would look for used Peavey FH-1 cabinets, which are 24x30 inches. You can get them with drivers for $100-200.....or free depending. The horn cutoff is about 10 Hz. lower than a LaScala and it's built like a tank out of Baltic Birch. They alway need a paint job, but you can also veneer them. Also, if you can find a pair of used walnut or cherry wood DESKS at Salvation Army, you will have some beautifully veneered "lumber" to work with, usually 1" thick to build t top section of to surround the FH-1 with pretty wood in addition. If they have Black Widow 1504 woofers in there, you can sell those on Ebay for about $75 each, which will make those cabs, effectively free. In fact, if you can stand them 90 degrees, you can use your Khorn tops as they are. Then you can take the leftover CASH and buy more music!

Here's your chance....

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/6485082760.html

I have no affiliation with this listing though I did talk to the owner about these - The bottom boards were removed by someone to get to the woofer.  They didn't realize (I guess) that these are older models and the woofer door is in the HF section.  $165 isn't bad, you could clean up that bottom doghouse surface and just put a new board on it.  I'd put the proper opening on it while I was at it and a new bottom woofer door.

On 2/1/2018 at 11:12 AM, dtel said:

Oh OK I thought they were intended to be in the hanger, better if you can get them where you can listen more even better.

What I was going to suggest was if in a big open space like a hanger, size wouldn't be a problem and  much bigger sound/bass could have helped. The top half of a Khorn or LaScala with AA crossovers match well with the bass bin of a mwm. I use this for outside. Split LaScala diy top with a factory mwm bass bin, same top sound as a LaScala but with much more bass than a LaScala. It can fill a big space, if it can fill acres here it could do a hanger.

Plus there is someone here giving away the bass bins free, I think he still has them( Coytee ). This would have been a "hanger" setup that would have sounded good, almost free, with your drivers and crossovers.

Now the bins were double bins, I use a single on each side. If you did that and wanted to use a double on each side you would have needed to get 2 more woofers and have someone here to explain how to wire that to still use the AA crossover, I think it still could be done.

I had 2 single mwm bass bins extra, it's how I ended up with this combination, got a pair of crites tweets and 2 K400 horns from Klipsch and some rebuilt AA crossovers, the crossover point worked, sounds like a LaScala with a good bit more and bigger bass.

Sorry to hear about your Khorns, insurance companies have no idea what they are worth, or don't want to know. Good luck

Dtel - What is a mwm?

21 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Here's your chance....

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/6485082760.html

I have no affiliation with this listing though I did talk to the owner about these - The bottom boards were removed by someone to get to the woofer.  They didn't realize (I guess) that these are older models and the woofer door is in the HF section.  $165 isn't bad, you could clean up that bottom doghouse surface and just put a new board on it.  I'd put the proper opening on it while I was at it and a new bottom woofer door.

Thanks.  He was supposed to send me some pic's via text.  Never got them, but they are just as he described.  It's about a 16 hour drive for me (round trip). 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Forte Too said:

Dtel - What is a mwm?

Sorry been out of town, this is a MWM, a Klipsch design, there are single and doubles. The doubles are just like 2 of the singles stacked up, very close anyway. A somewhat simple design which works very well and a really good sound. You can see why I asked if they were for a "hanger".

They have to top half sound of a LaScala (same parts) but more and bigger bass, the ones here outside and on the tractor are used for yard speakers just use a AA crossover and one bin for each side. The others are used differently for in the living room, active crossover and true biamped with a 402 horn on top.

I think Coytee had double bins he offered to give away, he lives in Tennessee.

speakers (36).jpg

speakers (37).JPG

mwm (27).jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 4:46 PM, dtel said:

Sorry been out of town, this is a MWM, a Klipsch design, there are single and doubles. The doubles are just like 2 of the singles stacked up, very close anyway. A somewhat simple design which works very well and a really good sound. You can see why I asked if they were for a "hanger".

They have to top half sound of a LaScala (same parts) but more and bigger bass, the ones here outside and on the tractor are used for yard speakers just use a AA crossover and one bin for each side. The others are used differently for in the living room, active crossover and true biamped with a 402 horn on top.

I think Coytee had double bins he offered to give away, he lives in Tennessee.

speakers (36).jpg

speakers (37).JPG

mwm (27).jpg

Totally weird you posted about the MWM.  I started searching for a pair of LaScala and ran across a guy selling two pair and a set of MWM's.  I would have had no idea what they were.  I'm tempted to buy them in case I ever open a concert venue.  lol.   Thanks again.  Always looking to learn something new.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That's funny, I only said something because when you said hanger, I thought it was the original place to use them and you had all the parts. Didn't realize until you explained that they were in a hanger because or space at home. I hope the insurance does more for your loss.

Travelers paid the policy limit of $5,000 on content once they received the quote on a new pair.  And I got to keep the speakers.  I'm chasing down a pair of LaScala cabinets now for $165. (plus $300 transportation)  Hopefully I can get them and put the components in them.  I won't feel so bad about the Bob Crites rebuilt crossovers and tweeters going to waste. 

• Like 3