K-horn Conversion to LaScala

Forte Too

On 1/31/2018 at 7:00 PM, Forte Too said:

I don't have room for the K-horns in my current house

The La Scala will come out into the room farther than the Khorn.  Khorns sound more balanced.  I used to have mine in a room 9 feet X 12 feet, and they were great for a single listener in the sweet spot.  For others, not too bad.  I wouldn't give up the Khorn sound.

I'm in Shreveport, LA.  I purchased a set out of Springfield, MO.  They will need a lot of work but the price was right.  I'll post pictures when I'm done.  The current owner knocked to bottoms off to remove the driver.  After I get them in my workshop, I will determine if the bottoms can be reattached or if new bottoms need to be fabricated.  They also have carrying handles and corner protectors.  I plan on removing both of these and patching them.  After that, I plan to sand, prime and paint them in black lacquer.  codewritenfool suggested I remove the upper access panel and close off the back of the HiFi section and add ports up there.  May try it.  It shouldn't be too hard. 

Oh, wow.  i was hoping you wouldn't buy those awful things and that your insurance company would do the right thing. 

While you are repairing them, add some bass horn braces.  Install them off center, so you don't just double the side wall resonance frequency.   

post-2142-1381935428667_thumb.jpgmsg-43-0-95880000-1424364411_thumb.jpg

25 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Oh, wow.  i was hoping you wouldn't buy those awful things and that your insurance company would do the right thing. 

While you are repairing them, add some bass horn braces.  Install them off center, so you don't just double the side wall resonance frequency.   

The insurance company did pay the policy limit of $5,000 on contents.  So they did the right thing.  I can't say anything bad about Travelers.  They were quick to respond after I provided a replacement quote.  I am looking forward to the project.  Hey, I saved a set of LaScala's from the dump and I am learning a lot about one of my favorite speakers.  Plus I get to play around.  I'm reading on LaScalas.  I ran across a post that was interesting.  It valued "Crate" (handles, corner guards, etc) LaScalas higher than a home pair.  I am wondering why?  Anyway, I plain to have fun with these.  At $165 for both cabinets, I can't go too wrong.  Just REALLY wish the guy had discovered the upper access before he tore the bottoms out.

7 hours ago, JohnA said:

Anyone happen to have a measured drawing for the braces?

Edit: never mind, I read enough to figure out that each one needs to be trimmed to fit, so measuring a rough size outlined onto paper at the bottom then trimmed seems to work for everyone.