Modding KPT-456 to KPT-942?

boricua2480

1 hour ago, rockhound said:

I'm about to do that with a pair of 904's (same LF cab as the 456). You can get 942 networks cheap.

Yeah I figured Crites could do the networks because I thought I read somewhere that he’s done them before, but I wasn’t sure if anyone’s ever done this exact setup. I’m thinking about doing something like the “Frankensteins” that were on here in the past with the orange horn, but instead I’d want to use the 402’s instead of whatever was used on that setup. Big, “hemi orange” painted 402’s would be sick.  

On 2/2/2018 at 11:54 AM, HPower said:

Since you have the amplifier channels, I would recommend going active with a Xilica or Electravoice Xover.

You will be able to tune the system very nicely and EQ the speakers very easily.

The Xilica from the limited info I’ve had time to review looks incredibly complicated and super expensive. When I was into car audio I had the Zapco DC EQ which seems a lot like the Xilica and I could never really figure out how to dial it all in properly. I wonder if the local Klipsch dealer has any experience with it because I’d get frustrated and it would sit for months before I’d gather the patience to mess with it again. I know how I am with computer stuff and I don’t have the patience lol. 

• 4 weeks later...

I seriously would not be concerned about the learning curve involved with active xovers like xilica. Once you run sweeps and see where the trouble spots are then its just a matter of "correcting" with that particular frequency. I'm very new to all this pro stuff but it honestly is not hard to figure out. If your concerned about cost try one of the minidsp's they are very affordable and easy to adjust. Just remember there are trade off with lower cost units. If you want to go passive you can get 942 networks on ebay for around 50 bucks.

2 hours ago, rockhound said:

I seriously would not be concerned about the learning curve involved with active xovers like xilica. Once you run sweeps and see where the trouble spots are then its just a matter of "correcting" with that particular frequency. I'm very new to all this pro stuff but it honestly is not hard to figure out. If your concerned about cost try one of the minidsp's they are very affordable and easy to adjust. Just remember there are trade off with lower cost units. If you want to go passive you can get 942 networks on ebay for around 50 bucks.

If I went active then I’d definitely get a Xilica. I tend not to get budget stuff, I don’t like having to mess around with replacing things later or dealing with issues later on down the road because I tried to go the cheap route. I know absolutely nothing about all the active stuff except for altering EQ settings and if needed, inputting crossover settings. Anything regarding correcting frequencies and trouble spots and all that is beyond me. I like to set it and forget it. I don’t want to be tinkering for months trying to get it sounding right. I’d probably have to enlist the help of someone who’s done this before. But 1st things 1st, where are all the 402’s at??? Those damn horns never come up for sale and Klipsch won’t sell them without buying the whole speaker. I might be waiting quite awhile to get these up and running. At this rate, if I decide to go active I’ll have the Xilica wayyyy before I get a pair of the horns. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 8:02 PM, boricua2480 said:

But 1st things 1st, where are all the 402’s at??? Those damn horns never come up for sale and Klipsch won’t sell them without buying the whole speaker. 

I don't pretend to know all the answers but I thought the K402 WAS available as a stand alone purchase.  (horn plus driver plus stand as a unit package).  I thought it was "about" $1,200 (per assembly AND this is old understanding, about 9 years old so any pricing certainly might have changed by now).

They don't often come up for sale so one might be waiting a while.

Have you asked @MetropolisLakeOutfitters about their availability??

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

I don't pretend to know all the answers but I thought the K402 WAS available as a stand alone purchase.  (horn plus driver plus stand as a unit package).  I thought it was "about" $1,200 (per assembly AND this is old understanding, about 9 years old so any pricing certainly might have changed by now).

They don't often come up for sale so one might be waiting a while.

Have you asked @MetropolisLakeOutfitters about their availability??

I called and they told me I’d need to buy any one of the speakers that included the 402 to get the 402, so if they used to sell it as a stand-alone speaker, they must not anymore which sucks. But I don’t necessarily NEED them immediately. We moved to a tiny house with land and no room for any speakers whatsoever, not even bookshelf speakers (tiny and a terrible layout). I gotta finish the basement first. If I came upon a pair, I’d jump on them so at least I had them ready but I can wait for a pair if I have to. Also I’ve got the 1132 drivers already so all I’d need is the horns and the crossovers, whether active or passive. 

The rules certainly may have changed....but before giving up, I'd try another dealer then.  They used to be available.  

Let me clarify in case we're not on the same page....  you used to be able to (and as best I know, still can) buy the whole UNIT(horn/driver/base)

If you are asking about the horn lens itself then I agree.....  I don't think anyone sells it.  (Klipsch isn't in the 'parts' business)

So are you being clear about the question?  (your question is you want the whole assembly even though you are evidently only going to use the horn itself)

Maybe you could order it with the driver you need, then sell the one you have.  (just tossing ideas on the wall)

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

The rules certainly may have changed....but before giving up, I'd try another dealer then.  They used to be available.  

Let me clarify in case we're not on the same page....  you used to be able to (and as best I know, still can) buy the whole UNIT(horn/driver/base)

If you are asking about the horn lens itself then I agree.....  I don't think anyone sells it.  (Klipsch isn't in the 'parts' business)

So are you being clear about the question?  (your question is you want the whole assembly even though you are evidently only going to use the horn itself)

Maybe you could order it with the driver you need, then sell the one you have.  (just tossing ideas on the wall)

Yeah what I asked for when I called was the horn and the bracket and that I already had the 1132 drivers for them so I didn’t need drivers. I was told in order to get the 402 horn that I needed to buy one of the speaker sets that use that specific horn and that they’re not sold separately. If I needed to get them with the k-69 or whichever drivers, depending on price I might’ve been interested, but I was told there are no options for just getting the 402 by itself without buying full speakers. The weird thing is that Klipsch sells the 510 by itself on the website. 

3 hours ago, boricua2480 said:

Yeah what I asked for when I called was the horn and the bracket and that I already had the 1132 drivers for them so I didn’t need drivers. I was told in order to get the 402 horn that I needed to buy one of the speaker sets that use that specific horn and that they’re not sold separately. If I needed to get them with the k-69 or whichever drivers, depending on price I might’ve been interested, but I was told there are no options for just getting the 402 by itself without buying full speakers. The weird thing is that Klipsch sells the 510 by itself on the website. 

If you're saying you called me and I said you had to buy a Jubilee or whatever to get a 402 then I don't really agree with that, either I wasn't clear or you talked to somebody else or it was a long time ago when I didn't know what I was talking about. ;) The 402 is easily available without buying the bass bin, you just have to do what @Coytee said and buy it with a compression driver mounted and the stand, which has its own serial number and is a perfectly legit sale.  I've done this very thing within the past couple weeks or so.  You just can't say hey I want a 402 horn lens with no driver or stand, at least not without proving that you have a Klipsch product with its own serial number that needs a replacement part.  You can swap out the 1132's for the K-691 easily as well, doesn't even cost anything extra, just takes a few days for them to swap them.  

3 hours ago, boricua2480 said:

The weird thing is that Klipsch sells the 510 by itself on the website. 

It's the same deal, you can do something like order the top end of a 904 (part number 097024000003) which again comes with a driver and bracket like the aforementioned 402 situation.  They just don't want to sell the 510 horn by itself.  

18 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

If you're saying you called me and I said you had to buy a Jubilee or whatever to get a 402 then I don't really agree with that, either I wasn't clear or you talked to somebody else or it was a long time ago when I didn't know what I was talking about. ;) The 402 is easily available without buying the bass bin, you just have to do what @Coytee said and buy it with a compression driver mounted and the stand, which has its own serial number and is a perfectly legit sale.  I've done this very thing within the past couple weeks or so.  You just can't say hey I want a 402 horn lens with no driver or stand, at least not without proving that you have a Klipsch product with its own serial number that needs a replacement part.  You can swap out the 1132's for the K-691 easily as well, doesn't even cost anything extra, just takes a few days for them to swap them.  

No I called Klipsch direct and that was the answer I got. If the 402 is available thru a dealer such as yourself, I’d be interested to know the pricing. Thanks for the info guys. 

• Like 1