Anybody Tried Liquid Electrical Tape?

thebes

I'm thinking in lieu of shrink wrap . No flames and should be useful in getting into tight spots.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/liquid-electrical-tape?category_id=568

Supposedly rated to 275 degrees so should work for tube type builds.

I think one major concern would be longevity, which is not really covered in the specs.

I have used on wires in my Jeep. They have been through hell and back. It has held up well, but it is messy to apply. In my experience you won’t get the finished look of heat shrink but it’s functional. If you won’t see it under the hood it’s works well.

So I'm guessing your thinking that it's a bit messy for fine work like building an amp etc.

I just sent the company the following inquiry:

Can this be used in home electronics build?.  For example vacuum tube amplifiers. Is there any expected longevity with this product. For example, shrink tubing will last decades.  Will this dissolve with time.

I'm asking on behalf of electronic hobbyists like myself.  We build things like radios, amplifiers, guitar amps, shortwave radios etc.  
I see it's rated for up to 275 degrees, but can it hold up to consistent high temperatures and voltages up to 500vdc.

Thanks.

I'll post the reply if I get one.

Sounds like it's not a keeper. I did hear back from these folks and they sent me the UL testing results.   They did say it takes 24 hours to effect a full cure and is not fire resistant until fully cured. The pertinent part of the UL report is as follows:

"Note: Underwriters Laboratories Inc. does not have a category standard for products such as “liquid
electrical tape.” For this reason it cannot give official listing or recognition for this product. This is not to
be misconstrued as the product not being suitable for its intended application. As a matter of fact, regular
electrical tape is UL rated at 600 volts and Star brite Liquid Electrical Tape has more than double that
rating for the thickness normally applied."

LET has its place. Like not having the right size heat shrink.  Heat shrink is best. A heat gun is  the best option to use on it.  I have found myself using a soldering iron... simply because it is hot and already in my hand ...

... any port in a storm, though.  Whatever you need to use....

A micro torch is the perfect tool for shrink tube .. simple,  easy and concentrated heat only where you want it .

I simply hate heat guns , unless your using them to remove graphics or body side moudings ... Dragging around an extention cord is so 1980's ....

Liquid tape is more of an automotive or HD equipment  application , I'm a licensed mechanic and we use it in our shop for any application that may see exposure to water , like trailer wiring , fog lamps , driving lights ,  etc etc etc .  More so shrink tube then liquid tape though

Well I'm a house painter and use a heat gun from time-to-time to speed up drywall repairs. Never even thought of using it for heat shrink. I usually just use the barrel of my solder gun on heat shrink. 

18 hours ago, thebes said:

Well I'm a house painter and use a heat gun from time-to-time to speed up drywall repairs. Never even thought of using it for heat shrink. I usually just use the barrel of my solder gun on heat shrink. 

Works fantastic on heat shrink.