Marantz 1060 vs Luxman R-115 for Chorus II?

Maximus89

My Marantz SR7007 has a very faint, low volume center and right surround channel and my main right channel has a lot of noise so it seems it needs major repair. In the mean time, i'd like a stereo receiver. 

I missed out on a Luxman R-117. The listing was 3 hours north of me, but it was also up on ebay for a good $100 more with shipping and the seller never responded to my emails. eBay listing now gone so assuming its sold.

Anyway, i'm now down to considering a Marantz 1060 or a Luxman R-115 to use with my Chorus II's.  Both in or around $250 budget.  Any other suggestions are welcome.

*The one attractive thing about the Marantz 1060 for me is i've seen people mention it makes a great headphone amp in case i want to do that in the future. 

*Could i use either of these stereos as a separate amp WITH my Marantz SR7007 pre outs? That way i can keep using HDMI connection from my PC to the MarantzAVR DAC since all my music is digital. 

i have a marantz 1060 & its an excellent sounding amp, its rated at 30wpc but ive read reviews that say its actually tests out closer to 50. on efficient speakers like heritage klipsch it can sound very good, but for teh chorus 2's that love big power it may not drive them well enough if you like louder volumes.  another big plus to the 1060 is it makes a great preamp.

the noise you hear may be just dirty volume & balance pots, mine had that after sitting for a few years... some de-oxit cleared it right up. 

1 minute ago, EPICKLIPSCHFAN said:

the noise you hear may be just dirty volume & balance pots, mine had that after sitting for a few years... some de-oxit cleared it right up. 

I've read about this, but mine is a modern AVR thats like 3.5 years old. There's just a volume knob on the front and an input selector. Where would i spray?

L_c26-MARSR7007-fr.png

oops, i misread your post, thought you meant the 1060 had noise. 

not sure how the volume knob is controlled on a newer digital receiver... but if its still just a basic potentiometer you would spray inside the working part of it. i'll let others chme in on a modern digital avr though. 

34 minutes ago, EPICKLIPSCHFAN said:

oops, i misread your post, thought you meant the 1060 had noise. 

not sure how the volume knob is controlled on a newer digital receiver... but if its still just a basic potentiometer you would spray inside the working part of it. i'll let others chme in on a modern digital avr though. 

I just manually checked the volume knob maybe the first time ever(ive always used the remote) and the knob skips or barely adjusts the volume so maybe it does need deoxit, but could that knob have an effect on the sound from the separate internal amps though?

I don't know about modern receivers but when I was having static when turning the volume knob on a vintage harman/kardon one it was recommended to turn the knob back and forth 50 to 100 times (with the power off, of course).  That helped in my situation.

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Ljk said:

Does a luxman r 115 have enough power to push chorus II, good headroom?

When I was using Carver amps with the power meters I was quite surprised that my average listening levels seemed to peak at about 4 watts with the Chorus II's. Of course they will take a whole lot more than that and are quite capable of concert level output but you need about 250-300 watts to get there. So I guess it would depend on how loud you listen, how large the room is and how close you are to the speakers. 

Thanks! R 115 's seem to be cheaper and more plentiful then r 117. Been thinking about one for awhile but beening old reliable could be an issue. My room is approx. 12 x18 x 10 and I don't play my onkyo over 74, would the 115 be a good match?

5 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

I have an R115 that sounds excellent and plays plenty loud. If you can't find a 117, or don't want to spend the $$,  I think a 115 would do nicely. 

Don't have the cash for an r 117 right now, seem to go for 3 to 4 hundred on ebay. One auction finished last night, in the last few minutes it jump from under to 2 hundred to over 3 hundred and it wasn't fully tested.

Might be time to start looking at a r 115,  thanks guys!