Marantz 1060 vs Luxman R-115 for Chorus II?

Maximus89

On 2/2/2018 at 12:55 AM, Maximus89 said:

My Marantz SR7007 has a very faint, low volume center and right surround channel and my main right channel has a lot of noise so it seems it needs major repair. In the mean time, i'd like a stereo receiver. 

I missed out on a Luxman R-117. The listing was 3 hours north of me, but it was also up on ebay for a good $100 more with shipping and the seller never responded to my emails. eBay listing now gone so assuming its sold.

Anyway, i'm now down to considering a Marantz 1060 or a Luxman R-115 to use with my Chorus II's.  Both in or around $250 budget.  Any other suggestions are welcome.

*The one attractive thing about the Marantz 1060 for me is i've seen people mention it makes a great headphone amp in case i want to do that in the future. 

*Could i use either of these stereos as a separate amp WITH my Marantz SR7007 pre outs? That way i can keep using HDMI connection from my PC to the MarantzAVR DAC since all my music is digital. 

I'm running a Luxman R-117 with a pair of Forte I and the sound is spectacular.  The people who sold me the fortes said you can have the receiver too.  And I said, Thank you!!

• Like 2

On 2/20/2018 at 6:49 AM, Ljk said:

Might be time to start looking at a r 115,  thanks guys!

I have both and can't tell any difference in the sound. The 117 has a off, 1, 2 step loudness where the 115 is on or off. The 115 has plenty of power and you won't regret getting one. The 117 will take your Chorus II to concert loudness and will have great quality doing it. 

On 2/2/2018 at 1:55 AM, Maximus89 said:

Anyway, i'm now down to considering a Marantz 1060 or a Luxman R-115 to use with my Chorus II's.  Both in or around $250 budget

No phone number...hope it's not Chuck lol

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/d/luxman-115-vintage-receiver/6505813621.html

Luxman R-115 Vintage Receiver - $170 (Brownsburg)

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first post, but Chuck seems like an appropriate place to start since I'm in the region as well.

I had a run-in with him a while back. I messed with him by playing dumb on a few things and schooling him on a few others. After about 15 minutes he finally got frustrated enough to stop pontificating about how much he knows and how terrible my equipment is. He hasn't bothered me since.

The part about demanding contact information is concerning, but the Luxman ad seems to have way too much detail to be him. Right now his CL offerings seem to be a rare Optonica, a big Marantz, and a never before seen on that popular auction site Pioneer. There is also one about vintage receivers in the Midwest. The comment about the Pioneer being extraordinarily rare is to try to justify the $1000 asking price for something that is otherwise quite modest. 

At any rate, I was actually debating a R-117 vs a 1060 myself. I took a flier on a damaged R-117 and am waiting for it to arrive. Right now I'm hoping that it is truly just cosmetic damage to the back of the case. If it's good, I can't wait to find out how it compares to my recapped 2270 with the Forte 2's.

Edited by ordinaryAverageGuy
  • Like 1