Ultimate Chorus II Upgrade

jjptkd

I've got a rare set of k-61 horns that have the 1-3/8 threaded insert for the mid drivers and have a set of soldered lug k-55v's bolted on and in my Chorus II's. As I suspected this was a huge improvement to the overall sound and balance of the speaker. These horns are hard to find but with an adapter to the stock horns it could be possible to do. I've been talking with a seller on eBay that sells the 4 bolt to 1-3/8 adapter basically female to male version like used in the KLF drivers and he already has the male to female version but would need to drill the right holes to make it work. Maybe there is something already out there that would work? I don't know but if you own Chorus II's this may be worth your time to investigate. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansing-EV-JBL-University-Horn-Adapter-Fits-Driver-511-811-Atlas-1-3-8/111706796911?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D1373248b5d98411ea0b30ccabe744662%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D111706796911%26itm%3D111706796911&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

s-l500 (500x375).jpg

• Like 1

I sent the seller on eBay detailed pictures with measurements of the k-61 horn as he requested last night but have not heard back from him yet. I have not done any further research on adapters, it is possible there is already something out there and cheaper that already works? 

So they made the stock CHII mid horn with the right thread for the A55-G?  Crites sent me a part used for adapter but he doesn't know if it fits in the cabinet with the A55G installed...there looks to be a good 4 inches of space with the stock horn and driver so i dont see why not: Selenium ADF 25-25 bolt on adapter.  Wonder if you have to make new holes in this as well?

1 hour ago, Maximus89 said:

So they made the stock CHII mid horn with the right thread for the A55-G?

Yes, it was used in Pro Klipsch applications like the KP-301 II and a few others.

Crites sent me a part used for adapter but he doesn't know if it fits in the cabinet with the A55G installed...there looks to be a good 4 inches of space with the stock horn and driver so i dont see why not: Selenium ADF 25-25 bolt on adapter.  Wonder if you have to make new holes in this as well?

Yes, there is room but you will need to drill new holes in the adaptor. Someone here has already done it, I was trying to find the thread detailing the info but couldn't find it.

58 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Yes, it was used in Pro Klipsch applications like the KP-301 II and a few others.

Yes, there is room but you will need to drill new holes in the adaptor. Someone here has already done it, I was trying to find the thread detailing the info but couldn't find it.

I think i remember that thread. Someone who put it in Forte II's but i think he had different horns also.  Was it @SWL?

54 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

looks like he had to drill his own holes of the adapter, that right?

Yes that is correct that's why I was trying to find something a little more plug and play. The drivers on the k-61 are a 4 bolt pattern, most adapters I've seen are 2 and 3 bolt. I know the ones in the eBay listing are expensive that's why I was hoping someone knew of another ready made option but if I can get him to drill the correct holes to make the adapter work I think it would be the best option so far; its as thin as possible and should be perfectly centered.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

This is exciting! Nice work.

It could also be used on a K-601 or K-701. If there is room...

Am I ever glad I have held on to my Forte ii’s. 

Are the output levels of the K-55’s and K-61’s the same?

Thanks! In the forte II's I had there wasn't any room for an adapter on the stock horn, it pretty much almost touched the back of the cabinet already. My Chorus 1's with the 601 horn is the same way and I suspect the Quartet is probably too. This mod is pretty much unique to the Chorus II. 

I believe the k-55's are roughly on average down in output about 2db compared to the k-61's, not really too noticeable.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, Maximus89 said:

looks like he had to drill his own holes of the adapter, that right?

Ok so I just got a response back from the eBay seller, he has an updated listing of the adapter in the first post and has included k61 in the title. I've sent him all the measurements and thread type so these are pre-drilled with the same threads that are used on the stock drivers so you can reuse the same screws to attach these to the horn. Price is up there quite a bit higher than other options but these are high quality, plug and play and about as perfect a fit as you're going to get. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansing-EV-JBL-University-Horn-Adapter-Fits-Driver-511-811-Atlas-1-3-8-K61/122954183309?hash=item1ca0a3f28d:g:-mYAAOSwPc9WuMEj:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateBox!98028!US!-1

• Like 2

Ok so I just got a response back from the eBay seller, he has an updated listing of the adapter in the first post and has included k61 in the title. I've sent him all the measurements and thread type so these are pre-drilled with the same threads that are used on the stock drivers so you can reuse the same screws to attach these to the horn. Price is up there quite a bit higher than other options but these are high quality, plug and play and about as perfect a fit as you're going to get. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansing-EV-JBL-University-Horn-Adapter-Fits-Driver-511-811-Atlas-1-3-8-K61/122954183309?hash=item1ca0a3f28d:g:-mYAAOSwPc9WuMEj:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateBox!98028!US!-1

Wow! That’s great news! Have you ordered one? I’ll wait to hear from you on if it works and if it should work for the A55G as well as the K55. Hope he didn’t just say he did it but only updated the text

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Maximus89 said:

Wow! That’s great news! Have you ordered one? I’ll wait to hear from you on if it works and if it should work for the A55G as well as the K55. Hope he didn’t just say he did it but only updated the text

I haven't ordered any, honestly $80 for adapters is a bit more than I'm comfortable spending when there's a few significantly cheaper options for the DIY'er type like myself. I just ordered the cheapest set of ABS adapters I could find for experimenting, don't really need them myself as I have threaded horns already. If I can get the cheaper sets to work and they seem like a good option I'll post my findings maybe offer to pass them on to someone here who might need them at cost?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-Procraft-LHW-3-Horn-Adapter-Female-1-3-8-18-TPI-Threads/281461602951?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 3

Ok so I got my cheapy plastic adapters and got them fitted in about 10 minutes, turned out better than I hoped. I really like these, first off because they are cheap and secondly they seem to be made out of the same material only a lot thicker than the horns. Also, when you screw the k-55 into place the end of the driver sits pretty much flush with the edge so no big gaps. I've got these installed and have been playing some tunes, they sound great. All totaled with a trip to the hardware store for screws and washers and what not adapters cost about $10.

20180208_153831 (640x640).jpg

20180208_153731 (640x640).jpg

20180209_131105 (640x604).jpg

20180208_154121 (640x640).jpg

20180209_125308 (640x482).jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

@Born2RockU When you upgrade your KHorns to A-55G's sell me your K-55's so i can try this on my Chorus II's because i don't think i can afford the A-55Gs right now. You have one extra k-55 from the La Scala you already made switch to A-55G right?

SURE ! 

... its a deal !

How many K-55's ya need total ?