Ultimate Chorus II Upgrade

jjptkd

4 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

Cool and cheap adapters! I ordered a pair to have around. 

Not sure if it was clear or not by the description but i had to drill out the 4 holes myself to make these work, they only came with 2 and 3 bolt patterns. Fairly easy to do but wanted to make sure you were aware. 

• 2 years later...

Well I finally did this mod last night.

Bob was trying to convince me these wouldn't fit in the Chorus II. I had no issues installing them with the adapters I purchased from eBay. Here are some of the pictures of the install:

(Also, all new gasket tape was installed on drivers. The weak cheap gaskets were aged and junk)

thumbnail_IMG_6590.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6591.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6598.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6597.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6600.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6603.jpg

• Like 1

some folks with stock mid motors and large amplifiers can get the rear baffles to vibrate on the mid motors when playing loud heavy bass. Depends on your situation and average levels of playback if you get vibration then you might want to install a compressible pad between the back of the motor and the rear baffle. This will be be variable as it will depend on the stiffness of your baffle mdf some is harder some is softer it's all over the place and can vary dramatically from run to run when it is made. This explains why some have issues and others not. The rear baffle on a Chorus and Chorus ll is a large totally unbraced one which really needs to be properly braced.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 9:19 AM, Gorm said:

Well I finally did this mod last night.

I had no issues installing them with the adapters I purchased from eBay. Here are some of the pictures of the install:

(Also, all new gasket tape was installed on drivers. The weak cheap gaskets were aged and junk)

thumbnail_IMG_6590.jpg

Well, what do you think? I believe you're only one a few to have tried this so far.

2 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Not to show you up, but here is my chorus II experiment. Crites tweeter diaphragm, and the A55G midrange driver mounted to a forte III mid-range horn.7b46173cd193ca51ade64923334c2d00.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nice! What do you think about the A55-G in there?

Just now, jjptkd said:

Nice! What do you think about the A55-G in there?

I really like it. The other speaker is stock except for Crites tweeter diaphragm so we can A+B them together. The stock mid-range driver sounds tinny compared to the a55g driver which sounds more natural and detailed.

• Like 1

Hi,

Well done for the editing @Gorm

Nice new horn, well done for integration on the front @dtr20

Right now I'm working on an upgrade of my CWIII and I was inspired by @jjptkd work on K601 / K55G, I'm going to do it on K701 with Faital HF103 instead of 55G  : the difference is that I don't need the bolt adapter . But as for products from the US becoming very expensive because of transport and customs, I do the same with products readily available in Europe: B&C, Faital, ...

:D

• Like 2

So...after I did the mod with the adapter, the stereo image from the Chorus IIs was horrible. They lost a lot of clairity and just sounded....off in a strange way.

So I decided to upgrade to the K-604 horns. Holy COW what a difference. The clarity is back, and after several listening sessions with them, I am very, VERY pleased with the result. They make the Chorus II sound like  a true heritage speaker. Also, in terms of sound detail and room presence, it made the speakers sound even larger.

However, I would NOT do this mod with the adapter. I would have gone back to the old mid drivers if I was stuck with the adapters.

thumbnail_IMG_6641.thumb.jpg.60d41f34a2e58b49bf82445d6dbd45ca.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6642.thumb.jpg.b10a62e305a856be8437e84624e981ad.jpgthumbnail_IMG_6644.thumb.jpg.c9bf07d87af4f7fae79f67557166dcb1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6645.jpg

• 1 month later...