Vacation advice request - Charleston, SC - Culbertson Island, GA

sputnik

Late March is pretty much just slush and mud season here in tropical Montana so we're planning a trip to the Georgia coast and Charleston SC this year.  I've never been to the South (unless Texas counts) so I'm seeking advice or inside information in finding any secret and charming places that only the locals know about.  We're flying into Atlanta and driving to the Cumberland Island - Jekyll Island area then heading up to Charleston then back to Atlanta (or the reverse circuit).  There's so much to see but we only have a week so I'd like to make the most of it.  I'm told it's a busy time there but my wife is a teacher so that limits our travel to the busiest times of the year for most places.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Been quite a while since I went to Jekyll so can't suggest anything.

Charleston

Sites

Patriot's Point and the Yorktown aircraft carrier(no secret but worth the visit)

Food/beverage

Page's Okra Grill

Sesame Burger

Savannah?

Food/beverage

Moon River Brewing

Crystal Beer Parlor

Bill

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

Yeah , and we don't serve sheep ! Unless they are documented emotional service animals of course .

"Emotional service?"  Yes, I suppose you could say that; however, it's never been documented. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, we had a great vacation to the coast of Georgia and Charleston, SC.  Thanks for the advice provided above.  We had a fantastic meal at Magnolia's in Charleston and, of course, one of the very high points of the trip was meeting Klipsch Forum legend and all around cool guy - Sunburnwilly.  Our first time in the South and we loved it.

We stayed at the Jekyll Island Resort on the southern Georgia coast for a few days

8pSixr1.jpg

We spent a day biking around Cumberland Island.  Amazing and still wild place.

EYUW5Kh.jpg

A short hop from the road above and we had miles of beach all to ourselves.

pOGgyE7.jpg

Not a soul looking north.......

FzNIOjg.jpg

.....and not a soul looking south.

TIkKLKX.jpg

Ended the trip in Charleston.  Biked to the Battery on our last morning - Ft Sumter on the horizon, just above the muzzle of the cannon.

VG4r2tV.jpg

• Like 4

Awesome pics, and it sounded like you had a great time. The "This Old House" show is currently renovating two houses in Charleston. Some of their local scenery photos of the town look very interesting, lots of history there. So much that my wife and I are considering a vacation drive to Charleston.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, willland said:

My family used to go to Jekyll when I was a kid.  Never made it to Cumberland but sure wanted to.

Bill

Cumberland Island is a real gem.  If we ever get to go back, I'm taking camping gear.

18 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Awesome pics, and it sounded like you had a great time. The "This Old House" show is currently renovating two houses in Charleston. Some of their local scenery photos of the town look very interesting, lots of history there. So much that my wife and I are considering a vacation drive to Charleston.

Yes, Charleston is very special. I'd highly recommend making the trip and maybe you too could meet Sunburnwilly.

4 hours ago, Tarheel said:

As we say here in the south "Ya'll come back now.....ya hear":)

Thanks, the trip couldn't have been better and we do plan on taking in another "heap'n help'n of Southern hospitality."

• Thanks 1