KV series center for KG mains?

wuzzzer

I have a chance to pick up a KV-3 center cheap.  Right now I'm using a Synergy series SC-3 center with my KG-4 mains.  I think the SC sounds very good.  

Am I correct in that the KV series centers were built for the KG mains?  I know the KG 2.x series is often used as a center for KGs.  Think it's worth a shot?

• Moderators
6 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I have a chance to pick up a KV-3 center cheap. 

The KV-3 was my first Klipsch center!  It was paired with CF-2's and sounded great.  I believe it was made for the CF Series but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

I believe it was made for the CF Series but I could be wrong.

I know the KV-4 was a designated match for the CF line, the rest of the KV line though is significantly smaller with drivers more similar to the KG line.  

7 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I have a chance to pick up a KV-3 center cheap.  Right now I'm using a Synergy series SC-3 center with my KG-4 mains.  I think the SC sounds very good.  

Am I correct in that the KV series centers were built for the KG mains?  I know the KG 2.x series is often used as a center for KGs.  Think it's worth a shot?

If you can get it cheap enough it never hurts to try but I'd look for a KG 2.2 or 2.5 to go with the KG 4's myself, think it would keep up a little better. 

If you can find a KSF-C5 center locally for cheap I would recommend that. It's probably one of the best Klipsch center speakers that I've ever heard considering all the details. Dual rear ports. About 2' from a rear wall delivers nice low end for what it is. I've used a KSP-C6 for 15 years with my KSP speakers and the C-5 ain't no slouch compared to the C-6 and C-7.

I used a KLF-C7 with KG5.5's so there's a benchmark for you.

Since you need a center I would try to find a KT-LCR. Check the specs and look at the horn. Huge soundstage/dispersion. Maybe lacking a little in the low end but the perfect center considering dialogue clarity. Apparently no one has ever heard one but it has the same horn as a CF-1. If you can find one it should be cheap unless you decide to upgrade everything like everyone else here. Then you should have around a thousand dollars in it. No one here knows anything about them so the usual oversell here that drives prices sky high is non-existent.

Good luck.

Keith

7 hours ago, T2K said:

Since you need a center I would try to find a KT-LCR. Check the specs and look at the horn. Huge soundstage/dispersion. Maybe lacking a little in the low end but the perfect center considering dialogue clarity. Apparently no one has ever heard one but it has the same horn as a CF-1. If you can find one it should be cheap unless you decide to upgrade everything like everyone else here. Then you should have around a thousand dollars in it. No one here knows anything about them so the usual oversell here that drives prices sky high is non-existent.

Good luck.

Keith

I've had a few of those and you're right, great little center speaker that usually sells for cheap when you find them. It's basically a KLF-C7 but with 6.5" woofers instead of 8" woofers meant to be crossed over at 80hz in a THX system. The CF-1, KLF-10 and KT-LCR all use the same horn. 

kt-lcr.jpg

On 2/3/2018 at 10:45 PM, 314carpenter said:

yes kv-3 was for KG .2 and .5 series. Was after KG4

No it was not!  The KV series centers are for the Epic line CF-1, 2, 3 & 4.  The correct center or closest matching center would be a KG2 or a KG 2.2V

2 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

No it was not!  The KV series centers are for the Epic line CF-1, 2, 3 & 4.  The correct center or closest matching center would be a KG2 or a KG 2.2V

I've seen you comment this before. Maybe the KV-4 >1996-1997 was designed for the Epic series. The KV-1, KV-2, KV-3 >1993-1997 came out before the Epic series, 1994-1996. The KG 2 was around until 1992 and the KG 2.2 was around from 1992-1994.

The "correct center or closest matching center" for the KG 4 would be subjective since one was not made for that purpose.

Well it doesn't look like the KG 4 center will work.  I was hoping to stand it upright and set my tv on it but a 70" tv with a base wider and deeper than the KG has me concerned about stability.

Fyi the speaker is on the Minneapolis Craigslist and the seller will take $100 for it.

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2018 at 12:41 AM, T2K said:

If you can find a KSF-C5 center locally for cheap I would recommend that. It's probably one of the best Klipsch center speakers that I've ever heard considering all the details. Dual rear ports. About 2' from a rear wall delivers nice low end for what it is. I've used a KSP-C6 for 15 years with my KSP speakers and the C-5 ain't no slouch compared to the C-6 and C-7.

I used a KLF-C7 with KG5.5's so there's a benchmark for you.

Keith

Keith (or others).

Which sounds better to you, the KSF C5 or the KSP C6?

How far off sonically are they from the KLF C7 ?.

(Big $$$ difference...)