Quartet with Crites upgrades VS Chorus II bone stock

314carpenter

upgraded Quartet VS stock Chorus II  

13 members have voted

1. 1. upgraded Quartet VS stock Chorus II

• $724 Quartet w/Crites upgrades
    • $900 Chorus II stock

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/19/18 at 05:48 AM

Which would you choose if you had to pick one. Lets say the Klipsch Quartet pair and the Chorus II pair were both nearly in mint condition in the same finish.

Total option #1=$724. $400 Quartet pair with Crites titanium tweeter diaphrams and Crites crossover boards. Price to pay = $400 speakers + $324 parts + small shipping fee.

Total option #2 =$900 Chorus II bone stock everything from 1995 with no further investment. 

Lets say that you could not upgrade the Chorus II crossover, and could only upgrade the tweeter for an additional $62 with shipping for $962 total.

I am just asking you which sounds like the end result you would prefer for yourself here, for those familiar with these 2 speakers and the Crites mods and the prices I have available to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My System

Main system : Panasonic TC-P60ST60 plasma; Denon AVR-X6200W; Outlaw 5000; CARVER AV-806X; Klipsch RSW-10 sub; modified Klipsch Chorus II Fronts; modified Klipsch Forte II center; modified Klipsch Chorus II surrounds; modified Klipsch Academy rear heights; JBL L20T3 front heights; Mogami 10ga speaker cables, Mogami interconnects; custom gaming pc 

Secondary system LG 47" LCD; Onkyo tx-nr818; CARVER TFM-42; JBL L100T3 Fronts; JBL L40T3 Center; JBL L100T3 Surrounds; Mogami cables; custom htpc/server.

32 minutes ago, John Chi-town said:

The Chorus II, for reasons already mentioned.  $900.00 is on high side, unless they look straight out of the box.  Start at $750.00 and work your way up.

Best regards,

John

Unless they're stunning walnut, then worth every penny of $1150......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can say I own both Quartet and Chorus II's......I love my Quartets with Bob's upgrades......

But if I had a choice between the 2......Got the be Chorus II's......

To be completely honest.....a buddy and myself have been going around and auditioning speakers....Elac Adanta / GoldenEar Triton1's  / Focal Aria 948 / Paradigm Persona 3F

After hearing all these different very expensive speakers......Chorus II's still hold their own.......Focal Aria's came close......

George,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Chorus II are big and sound big. I had I's and II's, both came from original owner. The I's were black, and perfect. The II's were walnut with the brown/gold grills. Very retro. One tiny dimple. I sold both pair to a drive-by member here for what I paid for them with the understanding that if he ever sold them to another forum member that he would sell them for what he paid for them. That didn't happen. I guess I'm just that naïve. Things have really changed here over the years. Among buddies. hahahahahaha

Keith

50 minutes ago, T2K said:

The Chorus II are big and sound big. I had I's and II's, both came from original owner. The I's were black, and perfect. The II's were walnut with the brown/gold grills. Very retro. One tiny dimple. I sold both pair to a drive-by member here for what I paid for them with the understanding that if he ever sold them to another forum member that he would sell them for what he paid for them. That didn't happen. I guess I'm just that naïve. Things have really changed here over the years. Among buddies. hahahahahaha

Keith

You had 1s and 2s  and took the 400s over either. SMFH

Mark

49 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Are these two comparable?

They are made for two totally different size rooms.

Identical tweeter horn- check

Identical midrange -check

Passive radiator design -check

Identical crossover design -check

Identical cabinet construction -check

Differences are

Tweeter diaphram, unless left stock

Tweeter magnet assembly

2" width

3" depth

5" height

10" vs 15" active

12" vs 15" passive

10 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

Identical tweeter horn- check

Identical midrange -check

Passive radiator design -check

Identical crossover design -check

Identical cabinet construction -check

Differences are

Tweeter diaphram, unless left stock

Tweeter magnet assembly

2" width

3" depth

5" height

10" vs 15" active

12" vs 15" passive

Nice you did the itemized list.

Again, for two different sized rooms.  Upper end will sound similar but the speaker balance due to the different sizes will impact the sound of the speaker dependent on the room.  There is also what appears to be a somewhat more upward tilt on the Quartet crossover further impacting that balance.

Main thing would be the size of the room and their interaction.  Two different animals as the Chorus maybe bass heavy in a smaller room.

YMMV.

2 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

It is a fact that NO speaker will ever sound exactly the same in 2 different size, shape, construction rooms. Even where you sit will change the way they sound.

I guess we can never again compare any speakers. Thanks for the help @pzannucci

Nothing wrong with comparing speakers.  You do need to be careful with room interaction.

My little RB5s will sound huge in a normal bedroom but get lost in my family room.

As far as DeanG's point, yes I agree the bigger the better but you still have to look at the system overall and the target room when you compare speakers that are significantly different, particularly from a bass perspective.  It is typically easy to throw a lot of stuff in a room to tame the highs but that bass is much harder to manage, particularly in a small room.  Considering the 10" woofer is less than half the size of the 15", it will become a room specific issue with the speaker size.

Knowing that you have a very similar upper end on both speakers, the deciding factor is the bottom end and it's support from the room.

Give me the target room with the speakers and then we can compare the rightness of each in it's intended environment.

EDIT:  It will really have to do with how the bass loads the room.

3 hours ago, Deang said:

Rule of Trey:

”How big of a loudspeaker should I buy?”

Trey: “As big as you can get through the door.”

-- a true philosopher Trey -- . And what I have tried to practice as it required two pickups to haul my Jubes from point A to their resting place point B. And a bit of Crisco to slide them through the door. 

• Like 1

The question I have is WHAT existing pair of speakers will you get rid of to make room for the new pair, and where are they going?

After listening to bigger speakers I cannot be happy with less. Once a man has seen the truth, he cannot un-learn it!

I no longer own any “bookshelf” speakers. 

Smallest speakers I own now are Forte II’s. 

Got rid of my RB-61’s and RC-52 in the master bedroom and dropped Cornwalls under the TV. No love lost there!

But if I were in an apartment (shudder) the Quartets, on stands, would be an option.

When I was demo-ing my Quartets before selling them I remember being impressed with their sound, and they must have been three feet off the wall. 

Chorus or bust!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

-- a true philosopher Trey -- . And what I have tried to practice as it required two pickups to haul my Jubes from point A to their resting 

place point B. And a bit of Crisco to glide them through the door. 

Nice  ;)

As for the vote, I don't know how to document this so:

Small room 10'x12'x7' or 8', Quartet

Larger room Chorus II.

Based on investment, Chorus II every time.