Bob Latino ST-120 Kit Review/Experience

BFaught

On 4/10/2021 at 7:58 AM, Steven Jackson said:

I had Bob or one of his crew build me a ST-120. 
Great fun until it started blowing rectifier tubes as well as solid state RT’s. I’m going to send it off to my local guru. 

What did Bob and Roy have to say about this? There must be some kind of support as it was built for you.

Have you searched on their forum:  https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com

I built mine from a kit. Bob was super helpful and very responsive. I never had an issue with my TungSol 5AR4. I never installed the 5AR4 that came with the kit. I'm keeping it for a spare. After about a year and a half, I had the auto bias board installed. I then switched over to a Weber WS-1t s/s because of the built in delay.  All's fine here.

Hope you get it sorted out as it's a great sounding amp.

• 1 month later...

Running my ST120 with a quad of matched TungSol KT120's, with a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 12AT7's on the outside post and a Telefunken ecc88 in the center. Have a Juicy Music Blueberry Extreme  with Cream feeding it. Powering my Cornwall's. Love the sound! 

I built a Latino ST-70 a couple of years back.  Like you, I had a great experience building it and had excellent support from Bob.  I can't recommend him enough when it comes to buying a tube amp kit as a first time builder. 

I also had an issue with rectifier tubes.  I had one blow and take out the output tubes with it.  Swapped in all new tubes and it happened again!  I changed brands and finally found a set that works.  Have been using this set for over a year with no issues.  I don't remember which brands I tried at the moment.  However, trial and error seems to have solved the issue.  Wish I could be of more assistance.  I know trial and error is not cheap when it involves tubes.

8 hours ago, Tarheel TJ said:

I built a Latino ST-70 a couple of years back.  Like you, I had a great experience building it and had excellent support from Bob.  I can't recommend him enough when it comes to buying a tube amp kit as a first time builder. 

I also had an issue with rectifier tubes.  I had one blow and take out the output tubes with it.  Swapped in all new tubes and it happened again!  I changed brands and finally found a set that works.  Have been using this set for over a year with no issues.  I don't remember which brands I tried at the moment.  However, trial and error seems to have solved the issue.  Wish I could be of more assistance.  I know trial and error is not cheap when it involves tubes.

I had two rectifier tubes blow, talked to Bob and he told me to try the Webber Copper Cap, no more problems.

• Like 1