Stealth Marketing on Forums and Social Media???

efzauner

23 hours ago, TFR1 said:

Haven't we already proven more Government is never the solution.

There are already truth in advertising laws but .........

Truth in advertising does not apply to Politics, Social Media or Love.

yes it does apply to government as lobbyists  have to register themselves as such and political donations have to be visible as well.  Would you support removing those regulations so anyone,  any company, any foreign government can donate to  politicians without having to disclose it? We already know that foreign governments are using social media.  But lets not go there today.. lets keep the talk to  fake people lying to  you to sell things. Yep that ok!  

as for "more government"  I am more than willing to discuss the merits of a particular legislation but simple statements like that do nothing to further the subject. Just a libertarian meme. 

1 hour ago, efzauner said:

It is a matter of truth and trust.   When "friends"  on social media or on forums like this are paid to push product but are too dishonest to tell you.  I realize that many of you don't like more regulation. Are you saying you are OK with this? What is your solution? Voluntary disclosure? Sure that will work!  Why do we  accept the existence of an entire advertising media that relies on hiding who is advertising to you? There is something basically wrong and dishonest with this.  

In the long run I believe it will back fire as no body will believe anything they see online anymore.  

Most of them are pretty obvious in my opinion, not just with wild unproven claims, but by the lack of negativity.  Every product and service has its pros and cons.  When I review something I always make sure to include my real feelings on the subject, including any negatives, not to be a Debbie Downer, but it's more authentic in my opinion.  I actually want to hear about the negatives from other people.  When you see a glowing review that's nothing but positive:

@efzauner

Please forgive me for my failed attempt to interject a little light hearted humor.

1) If big government and more laws were a solution, how do you explain our current state? ( this question has been asked for a very long time.)

2) The solution to the 'click bait' you encounter on all of your media platforms is, Don't  Click!

3) Facebook friends and Twitter followers are NOT your friends. If the false promotions bother you, spend less time on those plateforms.

Regards, 😊

Jerry

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Most of them are pretty obvious in my opinion, not just with wild unproven claims, but by the lack of negativity.  Every product and service has its pros and cons.  When I review something I always make sure to include my real feelings on the subject, including any negatives, not to be a Debbie Downer, but it's more authentic in my opinion.  I actually want to hear about the negatives from other people.  When you see a glowing review that's nothing but positive:

you mean something like this post?  this is the post that prompted me to write this one. The language is way to over the top. Not implying but sure sounds like it..

34 minutes ago, TFR1 said:

@efzauner

Please forgive me for my failed attempt to interject a little light hearted humor.

1) If big government and more laws were a solution, how do you explain our current state? ( this question has been asked for a very long time.)

2) The solution to the 'click bait' you encounter on all of your media platforms is, Don't  Click!

3) Facebook friends and Twitter followers are NOT your friends. If the false promotions bother you, spend less time on those plateforms.

Regards, 😊

Jerry

your argument #1 is what is known as a false dichotomy...  Like if we evolved from  monkeys why are there still monkeys. Life is not just about either or.  You are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  You complain but don't offer a solution, just expect others to do so. That is also  being intellectually lazy.  So you want less government? Such as repealing regulations implemented by Obama to prevent another oil spill disaster like the Deepwater Horizon.  Trump repealed that law! Yay! Let's hope it will happen again so we can have a movie sequel! That's a great victory for the libertarians like you that are all hot air but never seem to take their ideas to any logical conclusion.. So you are saying that companies should be left alone, to continue doing the shit that caused the disaster? Please do provide other regulations that you wish to repeal! How about parts of the building code that improve earthquake resistance in California.  Or regulations on proper food processing! Can you spell Listeria and E coli?  What about FDA regulations. Did you know that it took the Dalkon shield to kill 4 women and send 8000 to the hospital for the FDA to implement clinical testing for medical devices? Maybe you haven't been around to remember that disaster.  You want to repeal that too?  Implement a "laisser-faire until people drop dead ideaology"? This will be fun! Why don't you begin by disconnecting your air bag and not using seatbelts. Your kids too.  

#2 is irrelevant to the discussion. I never brought up clickbait. That is pretty obvious. 

#3 So by that you are also implying that contributors to this forum, are not friend, are just like followers that we should not believe anything any one says? I will be the first one to not believe anything you say! :)

@efzauner

Your response to me is full of false assumptions as to what I think and do.

I learned long ago not to engage in conversation with people that already know everything.

You are certainly a bright and accomplished person, but I might suggest you read some Dale Carnegie.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TFR1 said:

@efzauner

Your response to me is full of false assumptions as to what I think and do.

I learned long ago not to engage in conversation with people that already know everything.

You are certainly a bright and accomplished person, but I might suggest you read some Dale Carnegie.

but I don't want to be friends nor influence you. Like you implied, you are not my friend, just someone that follows forums, so I don't believe anything you say! I presume then you also don't believe anything I say. It's all lies and made up anyway, nothing real, nothing true.  Why is everyone upset? Or maybe you did take something I said a bit to personally? Maybe I also took this a bit too personally and went overboard? Like wow! this internet stuff works! People listen, get emotionally involved, What I say affects people! And its all totally unregulated!  Hmm Maybe there is a problem here?  Maybe we should not allow secret paid for adds and agitators because the unpaid ones like me are bad enough!  

• 2 weeks later...

Since the begining of civilization someone is always trying to sell something.  There are natural leaders, and natural followers.  Most know where they fall.   For the dweebs who aren't sure there are things like Dale Carnegie, who are selling them something else.