I'm going to buy a pair of Bookshelf Speakers (maybe Klipsch R-15PM) and a Subwoofer (maybe Klipsch SW-112) in the future.
I have the following doubts:

1. The R-15PM are powered monitors. The website says "This highly efficient, powerful yet minimalist speaker engulfs listeners in their favorite movies and music. ", so i think they are good for listening to music and movies.

2. But people say that Hi-Fi speakers are better for home listening than Monitors, because they add coloration... Anyways these Klipsch are intended for Home and not for Studio...
    What would be the difference?  
    Also: Do Hi-Fi speakers sound harder than this Klipsch? Offering more volume, power...

3. The monitors came with a remote control. This control has SUB+ and SUB- buttons, so you can adjust the subwoofer volume.

Can I set the subwoofer gain (in the unit's back) to Max, and then use the remote to control the volume?

I'll like watching to movies with the corresponding dynamic range, without changing the bass volume, a "flat response", but I'll like to be able to "boost" the bass in music, with the SUB+ button. What is the best way to do that?

Thank You Very Much.

Edited by BigDak

Any speaker that adds obvious coloration is not good and you don't want it, for music OR movies.  All speakers have some coloration. 

As to the specifics of the R-15PMs, I don't know.  You may be able to get your answers by downloading the Owner's Manual.  It is logical that the speaker remote will have some control of the sub's level, though you may not be able turn the sub to max gain and set the level low enough to blend in.

On 2/4/2018 at 1:07 PM, BigDak said:

I'm going to buy a pair of Bookshelf Speakers (maybe Klipsch R-15PM) and a Subwoofer (maybe Klipsch SW-112) in the future.
I have the following doubts:

1. The R-15PM are powered monitors. The website says "This highly efficient, powerful yet minimalist speaker engulfs listeners in their favorite movies and music. ", so i think they are good for listening to music and movies.

2. But people say that Hi-Fi speakers are better for home listening than Monitors, because they add coloration... Anyways these Klipsch are intended for Home and not for Studio...
    What would be the difference?  
    Also: Do Hi-Fi speakers sound harder than this Klipsch? Offering more volume, power...

3. The monitors came with a remote control. This control has SUB+ and SUB- buttons, so you can adjust the subwoofer volume.

Can I set the subwoofer gain (in the unit's back) to Max, and then use the remote to control the volume?

I'll like watching to movies with the corresponding dynamic range, without changing the bass volume, a "flat response", but I'll like to be able to "boost" the bass in music, with the SUB+ button. What is the best way to do that?

Thank You Very Much.

So you don't want a receiver to power your speakers?  As John points out, you are likely going to miss some flexibility with the configuration when trying to use just the speakers for management.  Sounds like you want some flexibility so at least a preamp may be in order.  It would be nice if Klipsch explained what the default crossover point is for the sub out so that you could understand what positioning and blend you can get.  Seems to be quite minimal for the money and you will need to do a lot by ear. 

On 7/2/2018 at 8:43 AM, pzannucci said:

So you don't want a receiver to power your speakers?  As John points out, you are likely going to miss some flexibility with the configuration when trying to use just the speakers for management.  Sounds like you want some flexibility so at least a preamp may be in order.  It would be nice if Klipsch explained what the default crossover point is for the sub out so that you could understand what positioning and blend you can get.  Seems to be quite minimal for the money and you will need to do a lot by ear. 

I just want the speakers and the subwoofer. They're powered (active).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, BigDak said:

"This highly efficient, powerful yet minimalist speaker engulfs listeners in their favorite movies and music..."

You have to love the marketing hype.

As long as you don't sit too far back, or play them excessively loud, you'll be okay. The setup will sound good, but will obviously have limitations in total output and flexibility.

They go down to 54Hz, so some EQ is probably being applied to boost the lows. I would imagine the crossover to the sub is 80Hz.

• 4 weeks later...