Sony C333ES only plays sacd

mopardave

2 hours ago, Born2RockU said:

I have had this 333 for 15+yrs and has had trouble reading from time time, but no big deal til now.  Just bought 2 new cd's, one RB and one SACD.  Player reads SACD perfectly and will not read RB at all.   Any ideas?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I have had this 333 for 15+yrs and has had trouble reading from time time, but no big deal til now.  Just bought 2 new cd's, one RB and one SACD.  Player reads SACD perfectly and will not read RB at all.   Any ideas?

Have you tried one of those laser lens cleaner disc? I seem to recall extending the use of my 333ES players by using one of those. But at some point both of my 333ES players would almost never read a redbook CD. I don't use any players these days I have everything put on the server and run it through a little DAC.  Well except my SACD collection...

That might be tricky... I did a maintenance/repair class on CD player, but that was 25+ years ago. Funny it would read SACDs and not CDs. Sounds like the lens may be dirty, but looking at the service manual (pretty sparse...), it looks like there is a single lense pickup system for it, but all CD players have an auto focus for the lense.They will try x number of times before they error our.. This might lead one to think it is the laser diode for the CD.

There is the manual I found if you want to give it a shot, but it's 26mb so I can't post it.e

26 minutes ago, Marvel said:

That might be tricky... I did a maintenance/repair class on CD player, but that was 25+ years ago. Funny it would read SACDs and not CDs. Sounds like the lens may be dirty, but looking at the service manual (pretty sparse...), it looks like there is a single lense pickup system for it, but all CD players have an auto focus for the lense.They will try x number of times before they error our.. This might lead one to think it is the laser diode for the CD.

There is the manual I found if you want to give it a shot, but it's 26mb so I can't post it.e

Today i tried to open up the player thinking i could clean the lens with a Q tip.   I would have to completely disassemble the unit to get in there.  Put it back together and it is playing RB again.    Not knowing how long this will last i ordered a CD cleaner.    See how that does.      Thanks guys.

On 2/8/2018 at 4:38 PM, NOSValves said:

Have you tried one of those laser lens cleaner disc? I seem to recall extending the use of my 333ES players by using one of those. But at some point both of my 333ES players would almost never read a redbook CD. I don't use any players these days I have everything put on the server and run it through a little DAC.  Well except my SACD collection...

I bought a disc cleaner (allsop) with the brushes.   Player is now playing every disc i put in it.   Looks like i may get a little more use out of it yet.    Thanks

• Like 1