Special thanks to Coytee for free speakers/ MWM road trip

JoeM38

Side comment...I don't know that it's been said in this thread but the cabinets he got for free were some that JC had given to me for free.  I simply held them in storage until they found a nice home.  The free cabinets were two MWM double bins, not the singles with fiberglass and metal trim.

JC deserves some recognition for his generosity.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 8:10 AM, Dave A said:

What I was contemplating was using a right or left side to reduce the footprint. This would in time be paired with two Pro La Scalas so I am not worried about higher notes.

bin extension.PNG

I have, in my head, designed something similar for my doubles. What I want to do is stand them like that, and have them in a cabinet that make the bass bins come out a little wider to be the same as the width as the horn that then could be placed on top...with grills over each cabinet. 

On 4/8/2018 at 10:04 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I have, in my head, designed something similar for my doubles. What I want to do is stand them like that, and have them in a cabinet that make the bass bins come out a little wider to be the same as the width as the horn that then could be placed on top...with grills over each cabinet. 

This should work ok... probably 15 years ago, I came across a man who had split an Altec 210 into two cabinets and used them vertically. Attached is one of the only pics I could find on the web. He had veneered his in cherry. I probably have the other pics somewhere on a pc at home.

Bruce

altec_210_split.jpg

9 hours ago, Marvel said:
On 4/8/2018 at 10:04 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

This should work ok... probably 15 years ago, I came across a man who had split an Altec 210 into two cabinets and used them vertically. Attached is one of the only pics I could find on the web. He had veneered his in cherry. I probably have the other pics somewhere on a pc at home.

Bruce

Hey Bruce, that's similar to what I have in mind. It looks like those were supposed to be made as two cabinets, they cleaned right up. One can imagine how much less floor space they take. The MWM's pie shape will need braced for the angle and chocked at the bottom, but at least I don't have to saw them in two :D. I, also, want to make them a little wider so they come out to be the same width as the horns. I have sized them up: I have stood the MWM up against a wall and secured the bottom from sliding out by ratchet straps and driven I anchors into studs’ bottom header 2x4. My design has them, essentially, parked in a larger cabinet and finished with veneer and grills. Imagine grilled LaScala, EV Sentry 3 or Altec 19, only a little bit larger. Besides having too many projects, what keeps me from moving forward with the design is that I worry about what sound will be changed. I don't know if I should glue and screw the two cabinets together, leave clearance or fill any clearance with insulation. Besides space saving, my main goal is to not change the sound, much. What I do know is that the MCM stacks need nothing for sound. 

What Altec horn is that? I have one 8 cell horn and the bass bin that used to be in my home town's movie theater. 

• 3 weeks later...