Special thanks to Coytee for free speakers/ MWM road trip

JoeM38

Bart, I have started working on the altec vott ,I have changed the 1/4" speaker inputs to banana plug/spade connectors and I have started sanding and working on the cabinets,the pioneer speakers sound pretty good.How do you strip the finish off of those speakers,man they look good.

51 minutes ago, JoeM38 said:

I'm working plans to build new ones out of wood so my wife will stay happy. She went out and bought me bendable plywood. She is the best!

Many here will be very interested in your 402s made out of wood. Please do a thread when you get that project going.

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2018 at 2:19 PM, JoeM38 said:

Sounds like these doubles have been all around the east coast.

I'm hoping to slowly talk my wife into using them indoors...

Double woofer driver MWM's are a waste of space indoors, unless you have a room like Mark 1101. You gain only 3 db of output. Better off with singles. Been there, done that.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Double woofer driver MWM's are a waste of space indoors, unless you have a room like Mark 1101. You gain only 3 db of output. Better off with singles. Been there, done that.

So... on the same theory would a half height Jubilee have the same response and just 3db lower out put.

I feel as though there should be a benefit to mutual coupling and double the mouth size with the double bin.

When I had those singles outside, I had one cross wired (so they were out of phase)

I suspected something up and when I disconnected the wire, the bass increased.  This is when I knew something was cross wired (someone had cross wired it between the driver and input cup...something which I later fixed)

None the less...  so now with one driver (K402 on top) I heard it playing.  When I connected the second one, I was expecting substantially more bass than I actually heard.  It was more of just "beefing" up what was already there.  It was clearly noticable but I would not have called it significant.

By the way, excellent work on those cabinets!!!  Is that just sanded and finished or did you veneer them at all?  (my guess is sand & finish with no veneer)

5 minutes ago, Coytee said:

None the less...  so now with one driver (K402 on top) I heard it playing.  When I connected the second one, I was expecting substantially more bass than I actually heard.  It was more of just "beefing" up what was already there.  It was clearly noticeable but I would not have called it significant.

When I brought them home I stacked both the doubles and hooked them up. The impact from them was incredible... They seam less so separated and my singles seam to be less than that..

I really think stacking does more than just increase output, but I have not measured anything

By the way, excellent work on those cabinets!!!  Is that just sanded and finished or did you veneer them at all?  (my guess is sand & finish with no veneer)

Thanks! Scrape, sand ,Scrape, sand, scrape filler, sand some more... stain and then a couple coats of poly sand and more poly. The black finish was extremely hard to remove.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 5/1/2018 at 10:28 AM, JoeM38 said:

20180326_174621.jpg

Very nice, got me wondering if I shouldn't have painted the inside of mine black instead of staining ?

Looks good 

What color stain is that, it looks very close to the color I ended up with, I used Red Oak on Oak plywood.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeM38 said:

So... on the same theory would a half height Jubilee have the same response and just 3db lower out put.

I feel as though there should be a benefit to mutual coupling and double the mouth size with the double bin.

Yes and no. Only the lower MWM bin is coupled to the floor fully, the top bin less so. Besides the Jubilee horn is 1 foot shorter than the MWM, but what allows it to go lower is the EFFECTIVE mouth size and LENGTH is increased by 4 ft. when close coupled to a CORNER, something which happens to a much lesser degree with the MWM. All this has been verified mostly by ownership of all those. Double and Single MWM in a basement, Khorns in false and real corners, Jubes in real corners. The Khorns and Jubes, when corner coupled go lower than MWM's which have a 55 Hz. peak before dropping like a rock, but are WAY smoother than either the Jube or Khorn because of fewer folds, which, of course are deal with PEQ settings on Active networks. I refuse cut my Jubes in half just to answer your other question, however, unless you buy them first.

On 5/2/2018 at 1:18 PM, JoeM38 said:

Thank you all..  I just have to sell some other speakers to fund the Infinite Baffle project! There will be no room for Tuba HTs with these in the living room.

There would be if you stood up the Tuba HT Low profiles behind them since the footprint is the same as a Cornwall. BTW, I never meant to sound like a hyper critical smartass about your activities here. The MWM is the best bass bin from Klipsch IMHO, so having double looks and sounds cool. My only caution was about diminishing returns of giving up that many cubic feet. You could have had a regular THT under each single bin to get to 20 Hz. , BUT that too is diminishing returns. Nice work.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:35 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

There would be if you stood up the Tuba HT Low profiles behind them since the footprint is the same as a Cornwall. BTW, I never meant to sound like a hyper critical smartass about your activities here. The MWM is the best bass bin from Klipsch IMHO, so having double looks and sounds cool. My only caution was about diminishing returns of giving up that many cubic feet. You could have had a regular THT under each single bin to get to 20 Hz. , BUT that too is diminishing returns. Nice work.

I'm already running MWMs with three Tuba HT's in this room, two in front and one in the rear.You are correct that I am chasing diminishing returns with my interest in doubles and the infinite baffle subwoofer, but it also frees up room for K402s.The price and or effort goes way up for just a little bit better .....  I believe most in this audio hobby know all about this...

4 hours ago, jwc said:

Nice looking mwm cabinet

Thanks! these are the ones that had extra wood glued on, so you know how they looked. I felt they came out very presentable.

My wife would rather have some Bose cubes...

37 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Did you get the one with the gum stuck on the underside or did I keep that one so I could charge someone extra??

Trailer.jpg

I will have to check. I didn't know that was an option. Looks like two of them have gum. I didn't notice any on mine...

I didn't get the name of the bar.  He was in Maryland at the time and the bins were in a hanger.  

I'f the bins could look "up", they would have some great stories.:cool:

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 6/29/2018 at 5:40 PM, JoeM38 said:

My wife likes the minwax red mahogany stain on the birch plywood.. 

I used Red Oak on the red oak plywood and it's very close to the same look you have . Looks very nice.

I wish I had known that, when trying to match the sub which is birch I think the red oak came out much more brown than the oak plywood did. It looks if I would have tried red mahogany I would have had a good match, to late now.